Paprika and cayenne

[27...]

[27...]

Has anyone ever had reactions to either one of these?

I’m already in a wave and went to my moms and she really wanted me to try a bite of her new meatball sauce. It had both these things in it and I felt extremely worse afterwards. Genuinely curious if one of these things made me worse or it was just a coincidence.

[11...]

Paprika is pretty tame.  Hard to believe anything in there would rev you up.  Cayenne is spicy.  I suppose if you're not used to the capsaicins, it could cause a reaction that the mind escalates.

There's nothing specific about chile peppers that I'm aware of.  I eat them pretty much daily.

Does your mother add MSG to her sauce?

[27...]

I’m not sure, I may have to ask her again. Maybe she forgot about something she added. I usually eat peppers but maybe both of them combined did something with tomato’s.  I don’t usually eat tomato’s either. Just not a fan of them.

I did just look up MSG and it said it’s found naturally in tomato’s so I may have just solved my mystery lol

It could be that the anxiety of feeling pressured to eat something you were already worried about led to a bad reaction rather than it being the actual ingredients. It’s so hard to pin down what might lead to symptoms.

[27...]

That is a good way to look at it. I do have major anxiety when I’m somewhere other than my own house.

I like that you mentioned this because sometimes it’s hard for me to remember that it’s the anxiety, and not just something I’ve consumed. Every time a wave hits or some symptoms appear I start backtracking everything I had and sometimes I can’t find it. It gives me new perspectives that not everything is exactly that.

[27...]
Hi paxia! I’m doing okay this week. Still dealing with this wave. Seems to be lasting a while. But still thankful it’s not like it used to be. My heart is doing great, though. How are you feeling??  :smitten:

Oh yea!  I’m so happy to hear that you are still beasting through it!  😊 I’m doing okay. I think I’m starting a new wave today, which sucks but I’ll welcome it. I’ve noticed that each time I get a wave, once it ends I either loose some symptoms completely or some definitely go down in intensity so I’m going to welcome this wave and cross my fingers for more healing. I’m glad your heart is still doing okay!  I think they might take me off of the metoprolol soon since my heart rate has went down drastically since my 90 days. We shall see though. I don’t see the doctor until February 5th. So I’ve still got some time. I’m deathly scared of coming off it it though for fear of more repercussions.  Ugghh this stuff is for the birds. Lol

[27...]

I totally understand your fear. With your attitude towards it on welcoming it all, knowing things are going to happen I bet you will beast right through it, too.  I’ve noticed small things with tapering the heart medication and it’s digestive issues. I’ll need to use the restroom immediately or I’m constipated, no I’m between. Nothing I can’t handle though.  The second week I was a bit nauseous.  Worth it to come off though. I’m going to need to buy a pill cutter for my next taper since it’s the lowest dose. The pill is so tiny! Excited to be done with it though. My appointment is in January. Keep me posted on how everything goes!!

And I’m sorry you’re in a wave. I hope it passes soon!!

• 2 weeks later...
Did the meatball sauce have tomatoes? I’ll bet it’s the meatball sauce... Ive eaten so much cayenne pepper and paprika with no issues but have severe reaction to tomatoes in the bolognaise sauce...

[c4...]

Did the meatball sauce have tomatoes? I’ll bet it’s the meatball sauce... Ive eaten so much cayenne pepper and paprika with no issues but have severe reaction to tomatoes in the bolognaise sauce...

Tomatoes are naturally high in MSG.

Time for me to ditch the tomatoes in my salad. I swear it seems like along with diabetes, my diet needs to consist of organic meat, water and non cruciferous vegetables. Maybe I can enjoy a small apple or a blueberry or 2 as a treat. :'(

PG

[11...]
A few tomato wedges in your salad aren't likely to cause a problem.  Dried tomatoes, sauces, and purees concentrate the glutamate to an appreciable level (for sensitive people).

[c4...]

A few tomato wedges in your salad aren't likely to cause a problem.  Dried tomatoes, sauces, and purees concentrate the glutamate to an appreciable level (for sensitive people).

Yup, never had problems with fresh tomatoes.

I totally understand your fear. With your attitude towards it on welcoming it all, knowing things are going to happen I bet you will beast right through it, too.  I’ve noticed small things with tapering the heart medication and it’s digestive issues. I’ll need to use the restroom immediately or I’m constipated, no I’m between. Nothing I can’t handle though.  The second week I was a bit nauseous.  Worth it to come off though. I’m going to need to buy a pill cutter for my next taper since it’s the lowest dose. The pill is so tiny! Excited to be done with it though. My appointment is in January. Keep me posted on how everything goes!!

And I’m sorry you’re in a wave. I hope it passes soon!!

I wish I was welcoming for all of my waves. This one is a doozy with the blood sugars though!  My doctors are on me to gain weight and I’m like, I’m trying but I’ve got to watch my carbs. One even tried to tell me that I’m in a denial about an eating disorder. Uuggghhh. The appointment went okay today. He really didn’t get into too much. Just said to discuss the peri menopause with the Endo doc. So I put myself in fear for no reason.  Lol. I’m not looking forward to tapering this metoprolol. I envy you’re positivity through tapering the heart meds! 

https://msgdish.com/glutamate-foods-naturally-contain-msg/

There's two more links at the bottom of the article with additional lists. Basically glutumate is in everything we eat, some foods have negligible amounts, others are higher.

More: https://goaskalice.columbia.edu/answered-questions/msg-intolerance-%E2%80%94-what-foods-avoid

One link I read said that a pinch of MSG is the equivalent of MSG present naturally in 300 to 400 tomatoes. The seasoning is far more potent than what's in foods naturally. Check the links I posted starting above, and look at the amount in all those Asian sauces and condiments.

Just like anything else, we all are going to respond differently to various substances, be they foods, additives, or pharmaceuticals.

The average person consumes 10 to 20 grams of glutumate in food, I would try sticking as close to 10 as possible, and not exceed 20 by eating too much MSG either naturally in food, or added MSG (Heck, I just avoid added MSG and Asian stuff containing it).

I also find certain spices bother me, Cayenne would be one. We also don't know what else was in the sauce, or specifically the meatballs. Betterfuture  had one bite, by bite doesBetterfuture  mean Betterfuture  ate a meatball or part of one?

I vote for the reason night shades. Tomatoes, paprika and cayenne are all nightshades and can cause allergies and inflammation. Had this in withdrawal, not a problem any more. I recommend to write a list of all things you cannot tolerate and give it some months before you try them again :thumbsup:

[27...]

https://msgdish.com/glutamate-foods-naturally-contain-msg/

There's two more links at the bottom of the article with additional lists. Basically glutumate is in everything we eat, some foods have negligible amounts, others are higher.

More: https://goaskalice.columbia.edu/answered-questions/msg-intolerance-%E2%80%94-what-foods-avoid

One link I read said that a pinch of MSG is the equivalent of MSG present naturally in 300 to 400 tomatoes. The seasoning is far more potent than what's in foods naturally. Check the links I posted starting above, and look at the amount in all those Asian sauces and condiments.

Just like anything else, we all are going to respond differently to various substances, be they foods, additives, or pharmaceuticals.

The average person consumes 10 to 20 grams of glutumate in food, I would try sticking as close to 10 as possible, and not exceed 20 by eating too much MSG either naturally in food, or added MSG (Heck, I just avoid added MSG and Asian stuff containing it).

I also find certain spices bother me, Cayenne would be one. We also don't know what else was in the sauce, or specifically the meatballs. Betterfuture  had one bite, by bite doesBetterfuture  mean Betterfuture  ate a meatball or part of one?

Thank you for the link! Everyone was diagnosed with Covid in my house after that night so I’m thinking maybe it was the food on top of getting sick. I didn’t get super sick. I was asymptomatic but it could have played a role in why I reacted to just one meatball with things I don’t usually eat. 

I miss eating Asian food. Every time I have tried I get the dreaded benzo belly.