Son-in-law / 2mg Klonopin

[Fr...]

Just found out recently that my son-in-law has been taking 2mg of klonopin  nightly for sleep problems, 12 years now.

He also drinks quite a bit. I don’t know how he functions.

We talked about it, he believes going to a detox center will be his way out one day.

Speaking from experience detox probably isn't a good idea.  In all of my years here I've only heard one member say detox worked for them but hundreds have tried it.  If he's looking to quit alcohol its a viable option but benzo's, no way. 

Agree with pamster 100%.

They will essentially cold turkey him. It is not the best and safest way to do it. A lot of us thought maybe we were tough enough to cold turkey, like it would be hard, but we could just do it, or maybe we were told to by docs... Not good, benzos are a different animal! There is a reason why some who have CTed other things like opioids, heroin, alcohol, etc, will tell you that benzos are different and some will say harder to CT because the WD is much longer and brutal.

I mean they are all bad wds, but it's just that facilities are NOT wise when it comes to benzos, so they do it WAY to fast and unless the person is lucky(and some are) it will be brutal.

Best bet would be to find a doc that is willing to do a sensible taper.

[ad...]

Speaking from experience detox probably isn't a good idea.  In all of my years here I've only heard one member say detox worked for them but hundreds have tried it.  If he's looking to quit alcohol its a viable option but benzo's, no way.

Does he even need alcohol detox if he's on a benzo? Aren't people detoxed from alcohol with a benzo?

Does he even need alcohol detox if he's on a benzo? Aren't people detoxed from alcohol with a benzo?

When I say alcohol detox I'm pretty much referring to rehab where changing behavior is key to giving it up, benzo dependence doesn't need behavioral change so rehab isn't a good fit.  But yes, alcohol detox typically includes a brief treatment with a benzo.