Will Anesthesia Cause Setback?

[ru...]

After my CT I've been struggling recently with returns of withdrawal symptoms a few times from relapses, alcohol etc. and I have a wisdom tooth removal surgery next week where I'm getting general anesthesia that (as far as I know) will most likely contain a benzo. Will this worsen my symptoms more or prolong them?

In my case, it didn't have any effect on my withdrawal, except for making me feel NORMAL for several hours afterward. I had propofol, though.

Good luck with your surgery!

Hi Ruri, can’t you ask them to not add a benzo? Propofol seems to be ok for most here and it’s not a benzo. Try not take a benzo as that can make it worse.

I did ask but they said it shouldn't cause an issue since it's just one dose, but I may end up rescheduling the surgery anyway because I haven't been feeling very great.

One dose could set you back. Please don’t listen to them as they don’t know what you are going through. They mean well but they really don’t understand. If I was you I would make sure they don’t give any benzo, not even once. Maybe better to reschedule until you are healed if they aren’t listening to you...

I had general anesthesia once during my second year out. Nothing bad happened. I was concerned because I know that IV benzos are routinely given. But all went we.ll. Nothing bad occurred.

I have also been given a benzo before certain procedure. I was anxious about this, but it DID help and I had NO negative things occur.

But everyone has differrent ways of viewing something like this, and if one is really concerned, by all means, REFUSE. That isd your right as a patient.

Annie

I rescheduled it for about a month from the date it was going to be, since I know for sure I don't think I could handle a potential setback right now so I don't want to chance it and it isn't an urgent prodecure or anything, I'd definitely rather focus on my healing especially this early on.

I had several instances of being put under anesthetic on my taper. For three, Versed was used. For one, propofol. I felt no different after the propofol surgery than the others, which used Versed. My w/d was not affected at all. Of course you can ask for propofol, but I have to say I preferred Versed. It made me notably less anxious just before the procedure, and I woke up faster.

I have never seen anything scientific to back up this belief:

One dose could set you back.

Even Ashton says that a "one off" dose of a benzo for surgery will not be harmful. But if it makes you feel more confident, ask for propofol.

Hope this helps,

Katz

In my case I had a colonoscopy on Oct. 24/20 while trying to figure out how to taper at 0.75 mg Ativan, and I've never been the same since!

Not to scare you, as some people have no problem with Versed, but I did big time.

If it can be avoided then I'd avoid it, after this, I'm getting a medic alert bracelet saying I'm allergic to benzos, so I'll never be given again.

just my two cents,

WinnieDog

Honestly the medic alert bracelet is something I've wanted to get too lol

I honestly don't know how I'll be feeling when the date comes so I might be in a better place to handle it then, but if I have the chance I do intend to try and avoid another benzo dose.

Hi! I don’t get on here much anymore but I do pop in every now and then to see if there is some thing I can do to be helpful. I am five years post withdrawal and doing great! Anesthesia was a definite concern for me because I had to have  several surgeries and procedures during my withdrawal. I always speak with the anesthesiologist before hand and I always made it very clear that I was not to receive any benzo‘s  either before during or after. I made sure that benzos are listed in my allergies in my medical records.  I do just fine with Propofol.  They always ask what kind of side effects I get from the benzodiazepines and I always try to approach that carefully as I find that if I describe all of my symptoms they tend not to believe me so I usually just tell them that I get extreme dizziness that lasts for many months, loud ringing in the ears and vision disturbances and that is usually enough information for them to take it seriously. Good luck with your anesthesia. Hope it all goes well!

Ruri Chan, I had a procedure done where I went under anesthesia and they gave me propofol and a benzo (don't know which one). I felt normal for 1 day. I didn't have any setbacks or anything. I had endoscopy/colonoscopy because I was experiencing such stomach pain. I'm sure it was benzo withdrawal. Still struggling with a little stomach pain, I jumped 4.5 months ago and life is pretty good right now. Honestly, I appreciated the 1 day of relief, then it was back to the sh*t of benzo withdrawal. I hope your procedure (wisdom tooth removal?) goes fine! Andy

Failure may be. But the wave will not be long. I was given general anesthesia (propofol) when a complex wisdom tooth was removed. My symptoms intensified and this lasted for about two months, but then everything returned to its previous state and even better.

Thank you guys for the well wishes, I'm not overly worried about since obviously everyone reacts to things differently which is pretty apparent here but I appreciate all the replies, I didn't expect to get this many