remeron / mirtazepine

[91...]

[91...]

Hi,

Has anyone used remeron / mirtazepine for sleep at low doses? I was thinking of trying it as I feel like sleep is my major source of anxiety.

Thanks!

[88...]

Interesting - do you know what kind of problems? doxylamine gave me palpitations and elevated heart rate like most antihistamines...

Well, then you won't like mirtazapine for sure. It's an antihistamine on steroids. There's mirtazapine withdrawal thread here on the forum. It gave people histamine intolerance.

Hi fluffer yep I answered on other board. I agree with pacenik.  It hits a bunch of receptor sites including histamine and is looked on as a dirty drug because it’s method of action isn’t completely understood (I’ve read this) there are a lot of people it harmed but also a lot it helped. It does have its own wd tho and sleep problems may arise all over again once u get off. Just do ur research before u take it. It didn’t help my sleep, made me feel groggy all day snd so so grumpy.

Why don’t u try it? Worst case scenario, u don’t like it, u stop? I stopped it cold, didn’t make anything worse or better. I was only on a low dose. Everyone is different. It might really help u. Just beat to hear all the facts so u can make an informed decision. I’m not advocating ads I absolutely hate them but some people are helped by them and don’t have the issues that I had. X

7.5 or 15 of Mirt is a potent sleep inducer. I took and lots of folks here have with success. Easy to come off of too. When you first start using it be prepared for a major hangover though. This dissipates over time. Also it will give you the munchies and make you gain weight.

Fluffer

I have friends who have done well on Remeron, and come off fine, others it was harder - just like all drugs, we all respond so differently.

I took one day of Seroquel and I was sweating and shaking the entire night!! Never again!

Do they have Doxepin (Silenor) in the states, that is an excellent drug for helping with sleep. A lot of sleep drs here in Canada prescribe that for people with sleep issues - it acts as blocking histamine etc.

I take Ketotifen (1/2 mg), which is half of a baby dose. It's an antihistamine, but has no affect on my HR at all, and I get tachycardia over everything. I recently was worried about taking this as it might act upon Gaba, but it's been working for me and keeps me calm too! One study showed some promise in benzo withdrawal - probably as it acts on the histamine receptors etc.

Melatonin worked well for me in the summer, before I started this crazy benzo wd - now does nothing.

I think that the reason sleep is so hard to come by for many of us in the early stages of wd, is that our cortisol is way out of whack and as we've been chatting for many weeks now, all the other hormones are off too (the entire HPA axis is shot).

I take epsom salt baths, every morning and night, which seems to help!!

Good luck in your sleep quest, I too go crazy and get anxious and depressed if I don't get sleep. I wasn't like this before, but I am now sad to say.

WinnieDog

I was on silenor again didn’t help me with sleep. But does help some. I went all the way up to 50mg. Nope. Think on a normal brain would work wonders but not always a benzo brain x

• 2 weeks later...
hi im on .0625 Klonopin now withdrawing since april  noooooo sleep lately so just yesterday doc prescribed remeron as needed half a pill  Did it work . ?

Remeron / mirtazepine I took only twice, slept fine 1st night, 2nd night I had the worst restless legs ever, lasted all night long, got no sleep that night or the following one. This is a very common side effect of this drug. So, if you start having this happen to you, you'll know why.  I'm with pacenik and Shayna 78 about this being a "dirty drug". Take at your own risk, and readup on other threads including the one devoted to helping people get off this mess. Make an informed decision.