Sleep problems during taper... pdoc is recommending Lyrica... ANY ADVICE?!

[Gr...]

Hi everyone,

So here is my situation. I started taking temazepam in April of this year due to chronic sleep difficulty. Developed terrible interdose withdrawals. Switched to 15mg Valium and began taper. Everything was going pretty fine until I cut to 7mg. Now I am having some difficult symptoms but probably the worst is that I am not sleeping well anymore. I feel TERRIBLE when I don't sleep.

My psychiatrist is suggesting that I take Lyrica to help with sleep. I have looked up this drug and there are some studies saying it helps with sleep but I am also very worried about getting addicted to another drug. I am already dependent on Seroquel 100mg and the Valium. I am worried that Lyrica could also be addictive. Should I even try it?

Some people have also mentioned Gabbapentin. I know that can be addictive too but I hear it's not as addictive as benzos? That's what another doctor told me.

I would really appreciate hearing some advice from anyone who has tried these type of sleep drugs while trying to get through a benzo taper. is it worth it? Does it help? Does it just create more problems? Has anyone tried Lyrica specifically? Or Gabbapentin?

I want so bad to be drug free but I also need to sleep, and I feel like if I can sleep than I can get through my taper better. But on the other hand, I don't want to get through my benzo taper just to have to go through another taper with Lyrica or some z-drug or whatever. Or even worse I could develop a tolerance to a sleep drug and be in an even worse position than now!

ANY advice is really appreciated!!!

Grace

[5e...]
Pregabalin is not really a good choice of anticonvulsant for benzo withdrawal. Oxcarbazepine and gabapentin seem to be better. However, they're anticonvulsants not hypnotics. And they all cause physical dependence and have to be tapered off too. By far the best choice for sleep are sedating antihistamines. Hydroxyzine punches harder, doxylamine is safer.

I'm currently tapering from Lyrica/Pregabalin.  I've gained over 80 pounds in a 14 month period while being on this medication.  I tried to CT off this drug and had intense panic attacks.  The drug is ready hard to taper from (similar to tapering from a benzo). I didn't find it to be sedating.  I currently take 5mg of asenapine to help with sleep. 

Grace it was one of the meds I was put on and it did nothing for sleep. They also put me on an ap like u and it did nothing except make me feel like a zombie . U are going to have bad sleep I’m afraid. U have been taking ur benzo for sleep and just like those taking a benzo for anxiety they’re worst sx is usually anxiety. Ours will be trouble sleeping. I’m so sorry I know how u feel I tried to find something to help too but nothing ever did. Like all buddies have said to me the only thing that helps is time.

Thanks that is really good to know-- especially those of you who have had experience with Lyrica. I really don't want to go on any more drugs. I was thinking today about exactly what one of you said--- that I just have to accept that sleep is going to be a problem for awhile and the only thing that will heal is time... but time CAN heal. If I can just get my body free of these meds and give my brain time to heal.

I still might look into Gabbapentin. But really I'd rather not take anything if I can avoid it.

Grace

Lyrica is really hardcore. I abused it quite regularly for a few months during my dark days, a few years ago now. I figure I got lucky because I ran out and the withdrawal was nasty for a few days but after a week I felt better. Back then, I was still on diazepam, which I guess could have cushioned the blow. I really do think it's a risky drug to add in. To be honest, I think it's risky to take anything regularly, as there is substantial and IMO unacceptable risk of setbacks. To me, Lyrica gave this sort of euphoric, stoned, buzzed relaxation that peaked a few hours into the experience. Much more like a recreational drug experience than benzos. Not a recommendation, just being honest about my past. Tolerance builds even more rapidly than benzos. I found that when I was on Lyrica, I was a complete moron. Also prone to bouts of extreme emotion (usually anger) from not very much. I could see very clearly in hindsight that my whole personality was different and for the worse and I was pretty sure it was the drug. I have read similar accounts to mine which helps me confirm this aspect of the drug. I recommend against it pretty strongly.

I'm sorry that you feel terrible, Grace. But I think that you're facing the damage that these psych meds can do. At best, more meds mean a delaying of suffering. I don't think it's at all a good idea to risk more damage just for the sake of masking symptoms until the next problem occurs. I think the best thing for you is to accept you're not likely to sleep much for a long time, accept all the likely consequences of this, focus on getting through it rather than trying to eliminate symptoms. Sometimes we get to a point where suffering is not optional. You don't deserve this Grace  :tickedoff:

Once valium was involved I found lyrica to be pretty much like Diaz^^ mentioned..  Occasional use got me to Drs appointments and through some instant parenting needs, but apart from that I have nothing good to say for it.. I found it quite addictive and the tolerance near instant..

Reluctantly, I would say for me, that gabapentin was much better for “masking” benzo symptoms, more sedating, and its hooks not as deep.. For simplicity, I just look at it like a mild benzo, it still has teeth..

-Perhaps last resort when all else fails kinda stuff..?? Certainly not before exploring more suitable taper speeds (if applicable), and the more tolerant, stuck, or messed up one is, the more caution I would apply to assessing the idea, and response if started..

I’m being very general, I could write a book of caveats, -personal situation and ones response to discontinuation/s would be a big factor imo...

...if that helps any, just one voice of many...

:)

Gabapetin and Lyrica are sister drugs, acting on GABA receptors. Neither is benign or easy to stop. I had a horrific time after using a tiny amount of Lyrica for 2 months following disc surgery. Tapered Lyrica over 4 weeks and had whole host of physical and psych symptoms I'd never had before. Switched to low dose Valium and had to do very slow taper.

In some circles, Lyrica is dubbed the "suicide drug." Hate to be so harsh, but there is tremendous issues like paranoia, derealization, agoraphobia. Had relatives who took them that became paranoid recluses. Family had to keep the shades drawn. Completely altered their personality. If you go to malpractice attorney websites, you can find all kinds of rulings against the manufacturers and the drug.

The only FDA approved use of Lyrica is for neuropathy with chronic fatigue. All other uses are "off label" including any psych applications.

Tired of MDs listening to marketing promoting them as "non-benzo" alternatives. They are seriously damaging.

I'm glad to see others have given you advice from experience with Lyrica. I was on it for over 10 years. I have a chemistry where nothing (other than ambien and xanax) helped me sleep. Morphine didn't. Valium was like taking a sugar pill. And the WD from Lyrica was hell. I would never ever ever advise anyone to take it. Now that I am a year (as of Jan 20) off xanax and off ambien and morphine since August I feel better than I have in many many years. I believe the effects of Lyrica lingered and made my benzo wd much worse. The restlessness and skin burning and anxiety in lyrica wd were worse than benzo wd. Hang in there. It's good that you are checking things out before taking a drug. I was far too passive and being a "good" patient.  :idiot: Isn't hindsight great!  :smitten:

I really appreciate everyone's responses and sharing their experience with me. It sounds like Lyrica is a really scary drug. And that Gabbapentin should only be considered as a last resort. One of you even shared how Lyrica can increase suicidal thoughts, and I remember reading that somewhere online as well when I was researching the drug. That's the last thing I need! Also more dependence and withdrawal is the last thing I need as well!

It actually makes me frustrated that these doctors and psychiatrists are so willing to put us on these drugs (at least mine is) without really much discussion about what negative effects it may have. I like my psychiatrist in the sense that we have a good relationship, but her philosophy is definitely "treat negative symptoms with more drugs". She is all about treating the symptoms and wanting me to experiment with this new drug or that new drug that I haven't tried. And sometimes I almost feel like if I don't listen to her that I'm not being a good patient (like somebody else said). But in reality, I am wondering how responsible it is for the medical profession to be so focused on treating the symptoms with drugs,  without putting much (or any) effort into trying to figure out what the underlying problem or issues might be. That's been my experience with a lot of doctors. How can they treat me if they don't even know what's wrong?

It is noteworthy to me that I am getting the exact opposite advice from BB than I am getting from my psychiatrist. Whereas she is saying to treat the symptoms with more drugs, almost everybody on BB is telling me that I need to stop masking the symptoms--that i need to accept the symptoms and understand that insomnia is going to be there during my taper, and that only time will heal my brain. It's crazy, but actually a couple nights ago (after reading some of your responses) when I finally told myself that I was just going to accept the insomnia and stop trying to fight it--- that night I actually got a few hours of good sleep for the first time in a long time. Isn't that weird!? To me it was a validation that you guys are giving me the right advice.  Last night I didn't sleep as well but I think that's because I drank wine, which I know disrupts sleep. But sometimes I just feel so emotionally or physically crappy that I have a couple glasses of wine even though I know it's not good for me, because it makes me feel better for a few hours. I admit that's not the best decision.

Anyways, again, I appreciate everything you all have shared. I will be staying away from Lyrica.

Grace

Grace I know u feel bad and wine might make u feel normal for a while, but please be careful mixing Benzos, wine and neuroplectics x it’s quite dangerous x

I hope things get easier for u soon x maybe you could slow ur taper down a little and see if ur sleep stabilizes?

Grace, I am so glad that you are researching things. I was also combining alcohol for a bit with all my drugs. As your body gets clean of things you may experience the same thing so many of us have- the CNS gets so sensitized that things that were no problem before are tolerated less and less. I can no longer wear natural deodorant and alcohol, even one drink, now disrupts my sleep and I have agitation and insomnia that are not worth it. For me it was a social thing and if I want the "feeling" I drink 0% alcohol beer. It sounds crazy but I have always loved the taste of really cold beer and it totally satisfies me. I was a long time in accepting the fact that there is no fix for the sxs of wd and I doubt any of us totally relax into it all the time but the advice is spot on. I had no idea that when  I thought I was normal, before the wds, I was slogging along and getting by. Now I feel wonderfully alive and excited about things for the first time in decades. Many have found that the issues they were originally given meds for, even the psych ones, don't return once the hell of wd is over. The drugs used to treat things so often cause the very same problem and in a much more intense way.

Bev

I used gabapentin 300 mgs once a day at night.  I have done this for 9 months.  I slept well my entire taper.  My withdrawal side effects got knocked back just enough so I could continue my benzo taper. 

I am not advocating for gabapentin at all.  I was on a low dose.  I have tapered off that dose over 4 weeks to zero.  I had no consequences to that.  Very mild symptoms, and nothing even close to benzo withdrawal.  Mind you, this is the first day totally med free.  8 weeks off the benzo and 1 day off the gabapentin.  I honestly feel nothing more than a bit tired as I had a bit less sleep than used to last night.

Others have struggled.  Most are on much higher doses.

I was afraid to take it, afraid of further dependence.  However, the benzo withdrawals were so bad at that point ..

If you can avoid adding any meds, then don't.  Not worth the risk.

In my experience, waiting for motivation is not effective.  Action is what works.  Action while not motivated.  It won't come naturally.  Nothing about this is natural.  Recovery is an active process. 

You will heal.