Is the 2nd time you withdraw worse?

[Be...]

Hi everyone,

I’m currently into month 11 since I C/T from 5 months of Valium use.  Relatively small dose of 5mg most days but I did abuse the dosage at times, sometimes I took more, sometimes less, sometimes none at all - I suspect I kindled my brain.

At the end of 2016 I took Ativan fir 2 weeks, again carrying doses.  When I stopped I got flu like symptoms but no psychological symptoms, after 10 days I felt better - I now realise how horrendously lucky I was at this time.  I didn’t know it was withdrawal until later.

I repeatedly keep being told how unusual it is fir someone to still be in withdrawal at 11 months off for using Valium for 5 months.  I’m wondering if this withdrawal is longer in duration due to my arrival use in late 2016.  I also took Xanax on on ad how basis - every now & again for one night here & there & also took Valium for 1 week in early 2016.

I know everyone is different & im clinging to hope that this nightmare will all be over soon.  In acute my muscles were super sore - in the last two months the muscle pain & tightness has ramped up.  I’m praying like a Feverant Italian nun that I will be healed soon. 

Thanks for your help.

[da...]
Benzos are such a strange drug, counterintuitive, the number of times you have withdrawn appears to be more important than how long were you on the drug. I got hit with cold-turkey withdrawals after just two days use. It is worse in my experience, but that can avoided by properly tapering (I say properly because what physicians have in mind when they think of taper is ridiculous). When I tapered I was asymptomatic. And I tapered fast, 1 mg diazepam per week. Before that I was able to cold-turkey many times with no perceived withdrawal symptoms (now in hindsight I know that some problems I had back then were withdrawal). I'm convinced that I would've been asymptomatic now too, had I restarted the taper after my amitriptyline setback, at slower speed (0.5 mg diazepam per every two weeks).

Benzos are such a strange drug, counterintuitive, the number of times you have withdrawn appears to be more important than how long were you on the drug. I got hit with cold-turkey withdrawals after just two days use. It is worse in my experience, but that can avoided by properly tapering (I say properly because what physicians have in mind when they think of taper is ridiculous). When I tapered I was asymptomatic. And I tapered fast, 1 mg diazepam per week. Before that I was able to cold-turkey many times with no perceived withdrawal symptoms (now in hindsight I know that some problems I had back then were withdrawal). I'm convinced that I would've been asymptomatic now too, had I restarted the taper after my amitriptyline setback, at slower speed (0.5 mg diazepam per every two weeks).

Thanks so much for your response.  Benzo’s are indeed a strange drug.  I hope you are being kind to yourself  as hard as it is please do not beat your self up.  I’ve found the kinder I am to myself - the easier it gets.

[da...]

Thanks so much for your response.  Benzo’s are indeed a strange drug.  I hope you are being kind to yourself  as hard as it is please do not beat your self up.  I’ve found the kinder I am to myself - the easier it gets.

You're welcome. Honestly, I've got no idea how will I get out of this. My life is on hold, I'm now surviving day for a day. I might try flumazenil infusion soon. What symptoms other than muscle pain & tightness do you have? For me, other symptoms can be objectively worse, but ear symptoms of hissing, innear ear pain/pressure and sound sensitivity are incredibly insidious.

You're welcome. Honestly, I've got no idea how will I get out of this. My life is on hold, I'm now surviving day for a day. I might try flumazenil infusion soon. What symptoms other than muscle pain & tightness do you have? For me, other symptoms can be objectively worse, but ear symptoms of hissing, innear ear pain/pressure and sound sensitivity are incredibly insidious.

Hang on - you will get through this.  I’m having a hideous day.  Panic attacks, anxiety, sore muscles &

Headaches, ear pain, problems with balance, heart palpitations. To make a few.  I’m clinging on,  tomorrow could be a better day. I’m hoping & praying.

• 2 weeks later...
My second withdrawal in my opinion is way worse.  I sometimes get so upset when I look back on my foolishness. Because during my first PAWS...I didn’t even know what PAWS was. 

I have withdrawn from benzos several times.  Actually, I cold turkey or did very rapid taper a few times, and had basically no symptoms of withdrawal.  This last time I had withdrawal and it took long.  So, yes, it does get harder if more than one withdrawal.  Live and learn.  I will never again put another benzo in to my system. 

I have withdrawn from benzos several times.  Actually, I cold turkey or did very rapid taper a few times, and had basically no symptoms of withdrawal.  This last time I had withdrawal and it took long.  So, yes, it does get harder if more than one withdrawal.  Live and learn.  I will never again put another benzo in to my system.

Thanks so much.  Me too - I will never ever look at a benzo ever again!