Book, Jan/21: The Benzodiazepines Crisis

[Li...]

The Benzodiazepines Crisis: The Ramifications of an Overused Drug Class

John F. Peppin, Joseph V. Pergolizzi (Jr.), Robert B. Raffa, Steven L. Wright (Eds.)

Oxford University Press, October 2020 (1st edition)

Co-authored by a team of twelve medical professionals,The Benzodiazepines Crisis ties together the analysis of over a thousand scientific papers on benzodiazepines. Topics range from clinical presentation through neuropharmacology to treatment and prevention.

For more information:

https://benzoreform.org/the-benzodazepine-crisis/

Edit: corrected publication date for 1st edition

Yes, thank you so much! I wonder if the book is/will be available for purchase here in Canada -- or if the public library can/will get it. I couldn't find info about how to order it from that page. Can someone please put in a link if that exists and I'm just missing it?

oregonkatz and Lapis2: You are welcome! The book was available on Amazon when I checked.

I’ve included the table of contents below. The chapter on Benzodiazepine Withdrawal: Clinical Aspects was written by Dr. Steven Wright, the medical consultant for the Alliance for Benzodiazepine Best Practices.

1. Introduction: Anxiety, Insomnia, and Benzodiazepines

2. The Evolution of Benzodiazepines and the 'Z' Drugs

3. Uses, Efficacy, and Adverse Effects of Benzodiazepines

4. Problems with Benzodiazepine Use in the Elderly

5. Benzodiazepine Receptors in the Brain

6. Benzodiazepine Receptors in the Periphery

7. Benzodiazepine Withdrawal: Neurobiologic Aspects

8. Benzodiazepine Withdrawal: Clinical Aspects

9. Benzodiazepines and Pain

10. Benzodiazepines Abuse

11. History of the Regulatory Control of Benzodiazepines

12. Guidelines and Guidances

13. The Benzodiazepine Legacy Patient

14. Perspective

Edit: Updated table of contents for 1st edition

The Benzodiazepines Crisis - Oxford University Press

https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-benzodiazepines-crisis-9780197517277

Thanks, Libertas. I just checked Amazon.ca (Canadian version), and the price is exorbitant. Way out of my league. Maybe I can request it at the library and see if they can bring it in.

Lapis

I saw that Amazon.ca had a Kindle version, doesn't show a price, but that's usually cheaper.

If they don't have it at your local library, just ask them to order it in.

I work for a nearby Municipality and I'd always ask the head of the library to get in books for me if they didn't have them - now that may have worked because I was staff - but should work for the general public too.

WinnieDog

Hello, Lapis2.  Excellent idea to contact your library.  The librarians I’ve worked with have always been willing to do “whatever it takes” to meet patrons’ information needs.  The book is $59.95 at Amazon US (pricey but not out of line for a medical/health sciences text).

Hello, Lapis2.  Excellent idea to contact your library.  The librarians I’ve worked with have always been willing to do “whatever it takes” to meet patrons’ information needs.  The book is $59.95 at Amazon US (pricey but not out of line for a medical/health sciences text).

Yeah, it's a bit rich for me. Here's the Amazon.ca listing (in Canadian funds):

[nobbc]https://www.amazon.ca/Benzodiazepines-Crisis-John-Peppin-ebook/dp/B08KY1QR3Q/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=the+benzodiazepines+crisis&qid=1607977109&sr=8-1[/nobbc] 

Edit: Deactivated commercial link.

This interview likely has already been shared but, here it is again. For me, the most important aspect of the video is addiction vs. physiological dependence. My physicians have noted in my medical records that I have a physiological dependence upon the benzodiazepine which is prescribed to me, I have been provided informed consent to remain on the prescribed benzodiazepine, and I have agreed to abide by the terms set out in the contract for continued prescribing of that benzodiazepine. Best Wishes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-HTxbVlAn4

"What is a physiological dependence?

This physical dependence occurs when your body physiologically adapts to an external substance. When this substance is taken away, you'll suffer from withdrawal symptoms."

Additionally, as Dr. Wright explains in the video, some people who have physiological dependence upon a benzodiazepine should continue using the benzodiazepine as prescribed.

Lapis

I saw that Amazon.ca had a Kindle version, doesn't show a price, but that's usually cheaper.

If they don't have it at your local library, just ask them to order it in.

I work for a nearby Municipality and I'd always ask the head of the library to get in books for me if they didn't have them - now that may have worked because I was staff - but should work for the general public too.

WinnieDog

Thanks, Winnie. I spoke to someone at the library last night, and she said I could make the request online at the library's website. I'll do that later on. Obviously, there are no guarantees and no known timeline. I'd love to read this book, but it looks like I'll have to wait.