Covid-19 Posts

[Ch...]

Covid-19 issues are a fact of life for nearly everyone, now and most likely for awhile longer.  The team understands the need to discuss the topic, share information, ask questions and receive support if you or your loved ones are affected.

We have considered ways to facilitate the discussion and decided that Covid-19 related issues should be posted on the following thread. Current Covid-19 threads/posts will be locked and/or redirected to this thread in order not to blur the lines between benzodiazepine support and Covid. 

Posts are expected to contain factual information and will be strictly moderated for accuracy.  Conspiracy theories or inaccurate information re vaccines will be especially subject to scrutiny.

Thank you and stay well.

The BB team

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ba...]

• [Mi...]

• [Pa...]

• [to...]

My good friend's father has Covid 19.

He is 89 years old. He is in the hospital. Since he is a DNR (do not resuscitate) he is on Bipap instead of a ventilator, which to me may be a good thing from what I've read as Covid has been unfolding over the last 10 months medical professionals have been finding out that ventilators are not the best approach to combat Covid 19 because the ventilators themselves can cause pneumonia, but what do I know?  I'm not a doctor or an ICU nurse. I don't think the medical professionals even always know what to do. There are no easy answers with Covid.

Anyway, he's on Bipap. He actually has made a turn around and his O2 Sat. has come back up to 95.

BUT , my friend says he has "hospital delirium". I asked her what kind of medication they're giving him, and if the delirium is caused from the medication they're giving him. She said "Yes. The delirium IS from the medication they're giving him. They just started giving him 3 ATIVANS A DAY."  What? Why? He's almost 90 years old and NOT on a ventilator. Why would he need those meds? Why would they give a person struggling to breath a drug that causes depressed breathing? Why do they drug people up in the hospital? Just because?

I told her that she better start asking questions about all of this Ativan. He actually improved so much that he was alert enough to drink coffee and eat breakfast this morning. Imagine how much better he'd be doing if he wasn't so drugged up?? I don't get it. I told her to ask about the reasoning behind the Ativan. I hope she asks.

After my experience with benzos I can't help but think that half of patient's problems are the unnecessary drugs they recieve and how much better they'd fare in recovering if they weren't so drugged up. I feel like since I've been "enlightened", that I have this important wisdom that could actually help people, but people don't want to be helped. They think doctor ALWAYS knows best. Well, after my experience how could I ever believe this again? Ever? This goes for many many situations I see with friends or people I know who are sick and seeking medical care. Not just this particular situation with my friend's dad who has Covid.

I guess it could be a blessing to have the "where with all " to be able to say: "Hey. Don't you think that may be a lot of Ativan for an 89 year old? At least ask why." But, because most people believe that benzos are such a "miracle drug" until it's too late they probably think that I'm a crazy person for suggesting that a benzo might not be a great idea at all. Doctors with their refusal to listen to their patients about the horrors of Benzodiazepines despite the new FDA labeling saying what problems these drugs can cause, their refusal to listen prevents "benzo harm awareness". The awareness we so desperately need to stop the reckless prescribing of this drug. I feel like I'm the "Wise Old Indian in the teepee" and everyone else is just "drinking the kool aid".

I'm glad I'm the "Wise Old Indian" and I saved myself,  ... and my husband too really because he will surely never take psychotropic meds after watching what I went through. But, I'm not sure if I always like the "responsibility" that comes with this knowledge. I just want to live my life because people don't listen anyway. They are all "benzo dumb" through no fault of their own. I don't always want to say something. I mean is it worth looking like a fool? Because people sometimes don't believe me, nor believe most of us who went through benzo withdrawal anyway. And, do I want to waste my precious time since I'm healing and doing so much better, trying to explain to someone who probably won't listen, that benzos are not a good idea in most cases?

Of course I did not tell me friend all of this, but I hope she at least asks what the need is for all of that Ativan, and hopefully they'll stop giving it to him asap, and prevent a benzo tolerance before it ever has a chance to begin. And, if he beats Covid 19, he doesn't have to spend any of his precious time dealing with withdrawl.

This is for anyone who needs to know someone on here who has had this virus. This is the end of week 2 of covid. I am just starting to see the light again.

I will never take breathing for granted again.

This is not "just a flu" - I want to slap anyone who says that. I know it was worse for me bc of benzo stuff, but even my poor husband and kids took a major hit and it def drags out. This is no joke. I never doubted before but now I can first hand understand how this has the power to sadly kill people if theres any weakness or vulnerability in a persons system.

I do not write this to freak anyone out, but rather encourage a healthy respect for what this virus is.

Praying  for health, wellness, and wisdom for all.

When I was a child, my 33 year old father woke up and could not walk. He contracted polio. He spent the next few months in the hospital learning to walk again. Many ended up in iron lungs, many died. My dad recovered, but walked with a limp from then on.

My father died at the age of 51 because of a rheumatic heart, which was damaged when he was two years old and became sick with strep throat followed by rheumatic fever. There were no antibiotics to treat strep throat then. 

When the polio vaccination came out, we lined up at my grade school for the vaccination. We were the test subjects followed by the vaccine being available to the

general public. 

In the late 1970s, they came out with the flu vaccination. I went to our local high school and stood in line for that. Some people became sick with Guillain Barre syndrome. I did not. 

When the covid vaccination becomes available to me, I will get it.  I see my neighbor, who did get the covid walking around with an oxygen tank in tow, as well as her sister and brother, who all became sick back in late March, early April. They all survived, but they now have lung issues. 

I understand people's fear given the speed which this vaccine was developed.  Getting sick with the covid is not an option for me for I won't pass up on the gift of medical science that was not available to my father.

NG

This is for anyone who needs to know someone on here who has had this virus. This is the end of week 2 of covid. I am just starting to see the light again.

I will never take breathing for granted again.

This is not "just a flu" - I want to slap anyone who says that. I know it was worse for me bc of benzo stuff, but even my poor husband and kids took a major hit and it def drags out. This is no joke. I never doubted before but now I can first hand understand how this has the power to sadly kill people if theres any weakness or vulnerability in a persons system.

I do not write this to freak anyone out, but rather encourage a healthy respect for what this virus is.

Praying  for health, wellness, and wisdom for all.

Trina75

I am praying for you and your family to get through this.

I hope you get through this soon.

Fortitude: Thanks so much!

We're through it, but even for the non- benzo ppl in my home it is taking time for energy ago come back, and my husband says he feels a bit of cog fog.

Taste and smell has come back somewhat, just not to full extent.

GI is still a bit messed up for my man and I.

So side effects from it seem to linger a bit. I think its 4 weeks now since it first hit. I hear the average recovery is about 6 weeks.

I'll be honest I am scared to get a vaccine bc I am so damn med sensitive right now....

BUT...I will be taking it when my turn comes, bc it is not fun feeling like you can't breathe. I am blessed to be alive. The vaccine cannot be any worse than what I went through with the virus and benzo recovery. It gives your body an Mrna code to replicate so thats how you become immune. So in theory this could be better than the vaccines we got in childhood.

This is my experience and opinion. I hope this helps others make informed choices.

I’l be getting the vaccine as soon as it’s offered to the general public. I want everyone who is in health care vaccinated first, and at-risk seniors, teachers and others who can’t hunker down at home like I can.  I’m not afraid of the vaccine, there’s no chance of contracting Covid from it, and I’m not worried about feeling sick for a day or so.

Now I have no idea if I will be getting the Covid 19 vaccine or not when it comes available.

I had a two month set back in my withdrawal recovery with the regular flu vaccine, so I hesitate.

At this point in time I really just don't know.

I prefer the vaccine over Covid. I will be getting it if my pdoc approves. 

I have had severe reactions to antibiotics. However, Not  a flu shot. He knows my physiology, and I trust him. If he gives me the green light, I will get it.

Many of us have experienced family/friends having Covid by now. Also, I suspect we know at least 1 person who has died, or become severely damaged by the virus.

Husband asked me if I would rather have Covid, or the vaccine if my pdoc approves. (he put it in perspective)

No brainer for me in spite of fear; I will take the vaccine.

I am so scared of getting covid, it has been such a controlling factor in my life for months because of my husband being such high risk.  He already has COPD, has issues breathing and a heart condition and diabetes.  BUT after watching and listening and reading about the vaccine, even though I am very sensitive to meds, I will more than likely get it.  I would hate to be the one that gets it and spread it to and kill the love of my life.  He will be getting the vaccine as soon as it is available for high risk and he is also 67 tomorrow.

Take care all.

I am so scared of getting Covid, it has been such a controlling factor in my life for months because of my husband being such high risk.  He already has COPD, has issues breathing and a heart condition and diabetes.  BUT after watching and listening and reading about the vaccine, even though I am very sensitive to meds, I will more than likely get it.  I would hate to be the one that gets it and spread it to and kill the love of my life.  He will be getting the vaccine as soon as it is available for high risk and he is also 67 tomorrow.

Take care all.

I did extensive research on mRNA vaccines as well. Here is the most succinct page I found on them (From the CDC):

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/mrna.html

I am no longer worried about the vaccine. I am sure it wont help our wd, but I don't want to be that person who spreads Covid to the people I love the most, because I opted out of the vaccine, and have Covid, generally without knowing it.

This virus is highly contagious. I want my husband (age 68)and children and grandchildren, and nurses and teachers (my 2 daughters are teachers), and everyone I come in contact with to not be infected by me. Unfortunately, oldest daughter had an allergic reaction to the MMR vaccine as a child. She can't take the immunization.

I can not bear the thought of catching Covid, then passing it on to others, perhaps with morbidity or serious organ damage.

Tol- whatever we have to go through to protect our spouses, family, friends and even strangers is worth it. I completely relate. I can't bear the thought of loosing my mate. Give me 20 doses of the vaccine if that's what it takes. Anything I go through is worth it.  I am glad your husband is group 1. Mine is group 2. I don't know if I am group 2 or 3 (I only have 1 kidney, but no other significant factors,)

Left a message with my pdoc concerning husband being in group 2, and asking him if he feels it is safe for me to get it with my history of severe reactions to many medications, especially antibiotics.

I am not afraid of the vaccine after studying it. I am afraid of my loved ones getting ill.  Likewise, my husband is very frightened of me getting it.

I have been hiding in the house except for crucial things, like you. Wearing a cloth face mask and a shield. My hands are cracked from sanitizer. Spouse is doing the same.

I got you girl. We literally are all in this together. I think ahead to a year from now when everyone who is able and willing is inoculated. We can come out of exile. Our fear will be gone. How I look forward to that day. And for now, these vaccines are the only way to get us out of this horror, it's not going anywhere. It will be around forever, like all new viruses.

I am so scared of getting Covid, it has been such a controlling factor in my life for months because of my husband being such high risk.  He already has COPD, has issues breathing and a heart condition and diabetes.  BUT after watching and listening and reading about the vaccine, even though I am very sensitive to meds, I will more than likely get it.  I would hate to be the one that gets it and spread it to and kill the love of my life.  He will be getting the vaccine as soon as it is available for high risk and he is also 67 tomorrow.

Take care all.

I did extensive research on mRNA vaccines as well. Here is the most succinct page I found on them (From the CDC):

file:///C:/Users/BEVERLY%20LEMONS/Desktop/iWKad22.jpg

I am no longer worried about the vaccine. I am sure it wont help our wd, but I don't want to be that person who spreads Covid to the people I love the most, because I opted out of the vaccine, and have Covid, generally without knowing it.

This virus is highly contagious. I want my husband (age 68)and children and grandchildren, and nurses and teachers (my 2 daughters are teachers), and everyone I come in contact with to not be infected by me. Unfortunately, oldest daughter had an allergic reaction to the MMR vaccine as a child. She can't take the immunization.

I can not bear the thought of catching Covid, then passing it on to others, perhaps with morbidity or serious organ damage.

Tol- whatever we have to go through to protect our spouses, family, friends and even strangers is worth it. I completely relate. I can't bear the thought of loosing my mate. Give me 20 doses of the vaccine if that's what it takes. Anything I go through is worth it.  I am glad your husband is group 1. Mine is group 2. I don't know if I am group 2 or 3 (I only have 1 kidney, but no other significant factors,)

Left a message with my pdoc concerning husband being in group 2, and asking him if he feels it is safe for me to get it with my history of severe reactions to many medications, especially antibiotics.

I am not afraid of the vaccine after studying it. I am afraid of my loved ones getting ill.  Likewise, my husband is very frightened of me getting it.

I have been hiding in the house except for crucial things, like you. Wearing a cloth face mask and a shield. My hands are cracked from sanitizer. Spouse is doing the same.

I got you girl. We literally are all in this together. I think ahead to a year from now when everyone who is able and willing is inoculated. We can come out of exile. Our fear will be gone. How I look forward to that day. And for now, these vaccines are the only way to get us out of this horror, it's not going anywhere. It will be around forever, like all new viruses.

Baddove,

You make me feel so much better!  I love that I have found you, although I am sorry why  :smitten: but regardless, you make sense and I trust you!  I will get the vaccine when it is available as long as my doctor think it is safe for me to do so.  I am hoping that my husband will be able to get it soon.

You make me smile and you make me feel like I am not alone!!

I totally get not wanting to infect others by not getting the vaccine and ending up with covid and not knowing.  That would devastate me.  My husband is my world. 

I also need to check with my doctor due to the same issues you have with having severe reactions to so many medications including prednisone.  I was not like this before Xanax.....  Maybe someday after I am off and healed I will not have these problems anymore.  Maybe my body will return to being able to use normal meds.  Who knows....  Will hope for the best.

I am with you, I will be so glad that by the end of next year, hopefully, we can go out and live life again without the fear of becoming ill and possibly dying.  That will be wonderful. 

We moved here a year ago in October because my husband always wanted to retire here and be at the shore.  We have only been able to go once this year.  Too many tourist and people not being careful.  But next year should be better.

One of my sisters is a teachers aide and there have been several cases there recently and another sister is a school bus driver and she says she has had several of her students be in contact with others who have covid.  They are in Virginia.  I pray for them daily.  One sister's husband has a serious heart condition and I pray he does not get this deadly virus.  All we can do is be safe , follow the guidelines and pray.  I pray all who can will get the vaccine once it is available to them.

Being optimistic and positive will help get us through.  Also being there for each other with encouragement and love will help too.

Take care and Thank you for being there!!!!

Love and bug hugs,

Julia

One of my daughters and her husband received the Pfizer vaccine on December 19, 2020. I spoke with them tonight and they have not noticed any adverse side effects. My other daughter and her husband are looking forward to receiving the same vaccine when new supplies arrive. They are all first line medical providers and are in this State's Phase 1 distribution plan.

Thank you Fi, please, keep us posted. I am sure it is a huge relief to your family that they are getting inoculated.  Hopefully, it isn’t any thing distressing regarding symptoms. Congrats to our first family in BB getting the vaccine  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You made my night.

I corrected the link, it was a brain fart,

Lovies, my dearest one.

Love you Baddove!!! I'm glad I made your night. We'll get through this together!!!

Love and hugs, Julia :angel: :angel:

One of my daughters and her husband received the Pfizer vaccine on December 19, 2020. I spoke with them tonight and they have not noticed any adverse side effects. My other daughter and her husband are looking forward to receiving the same vaccine when new supplies arrive. They are all first line medical providers and are in this State's Phase 1 distribution plan.

Awesome and I appreciate All they're doing. God Bless you and them.

Hugs, Julia

I too will be getting the shot when I can. I trust the science. I hope I don’t get any side effects. I got the flu vaccine and had no problems ! Stay safe everyone !