Vaccine discussion

[Me...]

How does everyone here feel about the vaccine?

I’m 27. I would rather get sick than have this vaccine honestly....

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

Why won't you take the vaccine?  It was created by an independent company (Pfizer) that didn't take a dime from the government to create it AND it was tested by 3rd party experts.  It's just as safe as any other vaccine.  Contrary to popular belief, Trump didn't create, test, and OK this vaccine in his garage with a chemistry set.

[32...]
Well, if you're healthy not living with comorbidities your chance of dying from COVID-19 is .03%. I'll take my chances. I have much more faith in my body than I do science. Putting faith in the med field got us all in this position. Anyone who questions your stance likely views the vaccine more as a political badge than anything else. They claim to be pro science yet turn a blind eye to the fact most vaccines take years to develop. They usually take so long because there's strict guidelines and precedent for human trials. If they want to inject themselves with a largely untested substance let them, they'll have a 94.5% chance of being free from COVID-19. And if they're safe from COVID-19, they should have no issue with those who choose to take that chance

[2f...]

@[Wh...]

@Meganz - I was very PTSD-like for awhile, and had a lot of trust issues for a while.  That feeling has completely resolved.  Unlike me, you're in a low-risk group.  So you have time to observe the efficacy and issues pertaining to the vaccines and make an informed choice.

How does everyone here feel about the vaccine?

I’m 27. I would rather get sick than have this vaccine honestly....

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

hi Megan. I don't know.. I am 33 .and to be honest I have no idea what I'm going to do....

I'm getting it as soon as it's available to me. The sooner we get vaccinated, the sooner life can return to close to normal, businessses shut down can reopen, people return to work, kids return to school. I get a flu vaccine every year, no qualms about getting this. Plus, I lost a brother to H1N1 influenza back in 2010, because the Rite Aid was out, and told him to return in a few days. He never did because things got busy at work.

My oldest sister is a health care worker, so she will be among that group who gets vaccinated first. I know she will be urging me to get vaccinated once it is available to me. Because I have an autoimmune condition, I am a higher risk, so will probably be offered the vaccine before the general population. I'd rather get the vaccine than get sick. Leaving my house to grocery shop and pick up scripts at the pharmacy has been hard for me. I'd just as soon as not leave at all. After watching my brother die, hooked to a ventilator, I do not want Covid. 

This vaccine is an mRNA vaccine, which has never been approved for human use before. I have ethical and safety concerns, as a person with a health science background. The rushed nature of it seems risky. I understand why but, I think I’ll pass for now. Especially considering this benzo injury and how my body had a horrible setback when I came off benzos once before and got a flu vaccine (had to for work). Although this is a different type of vaccine, so maybe it would be ok. The point is we don’t know the long term effects whatsoever. That’s not enough for me to become a human guinea pig for big pharma while they make a killing off this. Anyways, I doubt it would be offered to me based on my age and ‘risk’ level. Only time will tell. I may have been exposed to covid anyhow and am self quarantined right now. 

This article written by an MD is pretty good:

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/coronavirus-vaccine-covid-19-cure-doctor-moderna-novavax-oxford-a9523091.html

I suspect that most of those resistant to receiving the vaccine have never seen anyone with Covid die.  It's like drowning that goes on for hours, days, weeks, or months.  The difference between actual drowning and dying from Covid is that in drowning death comes quick to end the suffering.  Trust me, you do not want to die from Covid.   

If we truly want to get Covid 19 under control then everyone will need to get the vaccine.  I believe we are now hitting all time highs of 1300 deaths per day.  The premise that only the elderly are seriously affected is false.  People of any age can become seriously ill and die.  Secondly, no one can predict the long term consequences of Covid.  There are many people who develop heart problems and lung problems after a seemingly mild Covid case. 

If you are weary of the vaccine then know that the roll-out will be in stages starting with health care workers/essential workers and the most vulnerable.  The majority will be last line giving them plenty of time to see any adverse effects from the vaccine.   

For those of you who insist in refusing the vaccine you may find yourself very isolated and perhaps unable to find work.  Food for thought.

If we want what is best for all of society then all will need to be vaccinated.

I will gladly take the vaccine as soon as it is available.

I will also take the vaccine as soon as it is offered to me.  I'm in a high risk age group so I'll be towards the front of the line.  It will be one step towards a return to a somewhat normal life. I truly can't wait until I can teach in person, my students have done an amazing job of adapting to the new format but I miss seeing their faces in person.

I completely agree with what Lukebass stated, thanks for this!

pianogirl  :smitten:

I'll take the vaccine. I'm in a high-risk group also, as well as being, um, older, so I am happy that it will be available to me. My partner is a biochemist and has been following (as closely as possible) the science behind, and development of, the various vaccines, so I trust her judgment. Also, I trust Dr. Fauci.  :) Thirdly, I am thrilled that the Pfizer vac does not have the administration's fingerprints on it anywhere.

So, yup, I'll get in line.

Katz

My feelings on this subject are very muddled, I think due to some lingering PTSD-like symptoms as others have mentioned.

It's a case of competing principles. On the one hand, this must be the most scrutinized rollout of a medical product in human history. It obviously doesn't have the benefit of years of development and testing but if it's good enough for legitimate scientists (in fairness, I haven't been following closely, because of my turmoil) then that's not a problem for me. On the other hand, I have developed a level of familiarity with the law of unintended consequences alongside a deep mistrust of the pharmaceutical industry. This combination makes me extremely averse to the idea even though I kinda feel stupid to say it.

I am not in a high risk group and I'm already working hard on my health. I go to lengths that not many others go to and at least theoretically, my immune system should be in good working order. But I'll probably chicken out and do "the right thing" and get the vaccine when it's available to me, so long as there's not some huge problem (not just crackpot anti-vaccer stuff which is bound to be rife). Part of me thinks "screw it, just give me the mind-control vaccine. you'll get me some other way anyway. maybe they have been testing it for a decade anyway because the power elite is littered with sick psychopaths and..." well, you get the idea  :o. I know a little bit too much about how the world works for my current fragile state, which causes my mind to go to these places and find them somewhat compelling.

To be clear, I'm not trying to promote either side of the argument and definitely not encouraging anybody to see it my way. I'm just sharing my turmoil on this subject, maybe someone else is going through similar. My recovery is going well but I struggle to get this type of thing in proportion.

I personally don't think my brain can take anymore chemicals, and who knows what will happen. I'll be giving it a miss for sure. Already bordering on clinically insane😂

I won’t take the covid vaccine, I honestly can’t risk it revving me up. Plus I’m in the low risk category so I’ll take my chances with covid.

I've thought about this alot.  I passed on this year's flu vaccine even though I usually get one every year because 1) I was concerned with a setback this early in my recovery, and 2) the benefit vs. risk wasn't positive enough for me at this time and 3) if I did have a setback I would be that much more concerned about getting the COVID vaccine.  And I really want to get the COVID vaccine to get back to some semblance of normal.

I intend to listen to the publicly available FDA advisory committee meeting that is scheduled for the beginning of Dec.  There we will hear vaccine experts not involved with the development of the vaccine give their opinions on questions posed by FDA reviewers.  It is all very transparent.  I'm hoping the mRNA technology is actually less likely to cause a reaction because there would be not be adjuvant chemicals in the formulation.

I've thought about this alot.  I passed on this year's flu vaccine even though I usually get one every year because 1) I was concerned with a setback this early in my recovery, and 2) the benefit vs. risk wasn't positive enough for me at this time and 3) if I did have a setback I would be that much more concerned about getting the COVID vaccine.  And I really want to get the COVID vaccine to get back to some semblance of normal.

I intend to listen to the publicly available FDA advisory committee meeting that is scheduled for the beginning of Dec.  There we will hear vaccine experts not involved with the development of the vaccine f give their opinions on questions posed by FDA reviewers.  It is all very transparent.  I'm hoping the mRNA technology is actually less likely to cause a reaction because there would be not be adjuvant chemicals in the formulation.

I didn't get a flu shot while I was in tolerance, it was just difficult for me to get anywhere due to the unrelenting panic. This is something I never experienced until I was put on benzos. I got the flu that year and it was horrible.  Following that I had a flu shot every year and it didn't affect my withdrawal or recovery.

We have a lot of medical providers and scientists in our family.  Everything I've read and they have shared makes it appear that the COVID vaccine will be safe.  The effectiveness thus far is pretty amazing, far better than the flu vaccine.

I am at the age where I have to get the high potency flu vaccine and I do feel ill for a couple of days, but it is far less severe then the flu. If that's the case with the COVID vaccine I'm ok with that.

I probably will get the vaccine, with the caveat that I want to read more research about it (thank you Deanna2020 for sharing about next month's FDA advisory committee meeting), and see how the initial round of vaccinations goes. Like Oregonkatz, I too trust Dr. Fauci, and my basic expectation is that I will get the vaccine when he does.

Haimona

I am a medical professional and do not want the vaccine. There hasn’t been adequate testing.

I’m 43 and I’d rather see how my body handles it. I think I’ve already had it last March honestly.

The first person to person community acquired case was in my town.

I am inclined to not join in fearful frantic mob decision making.  I am more than happy to let others who vey much want to partake be the source of aggregated short and longer term data that I can than utilize to make a rational and properly informed decision that best applies to me as an individual.

I suspect that most of those resistant to receiving the vaccine have never seen anyone with Covid die.  It's like drowning that goes on for hours, days, weeks, or months.  The difference between actual drowning and dying from Covid is that in drowning death comes quick to end the suffering.  Trust me, you do not want to die from Covid.   

If we truly want to get Covid 19 under control then everyone will need to get the vaccine.  I believe we are now hitting all time highs of 1300 deaths per day.  The premise that only the elderly are seriously affected is false.  People of any age can become seriously ill and die.  Secondly, no one can predict the long term consequences of Covid.  There are many people who develop heart problems and lung problems after a seemingly mild Covid case. 

If you are weary of the vaccine then know that the roll-out will be in stages starting with health care workers/essential workers and the most vulnerable.  The majority will be last line giving them plenty of time to see any adverse effects from the vaccine.   

For those of you who insist in refusing the vaccine you may find yourself very isolated and perhaps unable to find work.  Food for thought.

Lukebass, so very well put.  I hope more people will read your thoughts and pause to consider what you've offered!  Bravo!  I'd like to add something.  I'm a retired RN.  I lived through the HIV epidemic, lost many friends, saw many people die, saw many survivors grieve.  During that time, Dr. Fauci was there!  The fact that he remains steadfast during this Pandemic, gives me additional confidence in getting the vaccine.  I only add my thoughts to those offered by Lukebass, to add to the things to consider.  Don't let naysayers or politics lead you to a decision.  I am ready to receive the Covid vaccine!

Lukebass, so very well put.  I hope more people will read your thoughts and pause to consider what you've offered!  Bravo!  I'd like to add something.  I'm a retired RN.  I lived through the HIV epidemic, lost many friends, saw many people die, saw many survivors grieve.  During that time, Dr. Fauci was there!  The fact that he remains steadfast during this Pandemic, gives me additional confidence in getting the vaccine.  I only add my thoughts to those offered by Lukebass, to add to the things to consider.  Don't let naysayers or politics lead you to a decision.  I am ready to receive the Covid vaccine!

:thumbsup::smitten:

Should we be worried about getting the Covid-19 vaccine?  I have been reading about side effects ranging from high fever, muscle aches, migraines, and exhaustion.  Supposedly the side effects don’t last very long, maybe a day or two, but the side effects have led some people to say they would not get the second shot.  How will our recovering immune systems respond?  Should we worry about relapsing?  I am now at 8 months off Valium and beginning to see some really good improvement on a daily basis.  The thought of going back into benzo withdrawal hell really has me worried.  Thoughts???????

I have been wondering this as well. I would like to avoid taking it if possible. I am afraid my job will make me take it. I supposed I will have to cross that bridge when I get there.

I am inclined to not join in fearful frantic mob decision making.  I am more than happy to let others who vey much want to partake be the source of aggregated short and longer term data that I can than utilize to make a rational and properly informed decision that best applies to me as an individual.

same thing over here... thank you!!!!!

[56...]