Why take benzo 2-3 times a day rather than once a day?

[ti...]

I notice that on the Ashton Manual withdrawal schedules (https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm), the benzo is taken 2 or 3 times a day. What are reasons for doing this as opposed to taking the benzo once a day? I am wondering whether to switch from taking Klonopin once a day at night, to taking it two or three times a day. I have tried this several times (spacing out my dose throughout the day) but only lasted a couple days each time because I didn't like the way I felt. Is there an adjustment period that happens when starting to space your dose out throughout the day? Do I just need to stick with it for a longer period of time? I am also worried that if I don't take my whole dose at night, my insomnia will be even more of an issue than it already is. I ask these questions because I struggle with interdose withdrawal, and most of my symptoms crop up starting in the late afternoon and last until I take my dose at night.

[b0...]

Multiple doses per day are done to better control the variation in the blood level of the drug.  Taking klonopin once per day an average person might see the blood level of klonopin vary by around 37%, depending on one's metabolism.  Taking it twice a day drops that variation to around 20%.  3X per day and the variation drops to around 13%.

That variation might not bother you.  If you were previously dosing once per day, you were experiencing this variation already.  Some people, however, seem more sensitive to these variations, so decide to dose 2-4 times a day.

Make sense?

• 1 month later...

I am in a similar predicament. Timeitstime, did you change your dosing? Thanks, Pamster, for explaining fluctuations in blood levels.

I dose only at night, and am in similar situation.

While benzos stay in your blood for weeks, the actual therapeutic effect may only last 6-12 hours (depends on the benzo).  This is why they are generally prescribed 2-3x/day.

If you are used to taking it just once at night, you may want to keep that regimen.  People who have been taking a pill 2-3x a day often have real trouble switching to once a day dosing.  Whatever works to keep withdrawal symptoms a bay is probably best.  Eventually you get to such a small dose that there is really very little therapeutic effect and it’s all about minimizing withdrawals.

• 3 weeks later...

I am in a similar predicament. Timeitstime, did you change your dosing? Thanks, Pamster, for explaining fluctuations in blood levels.

I dose only at night, and am in similar situation.

I didn't change my dosing. I find when I dose more than once a day I feel too "drugged."