No rinse Epsom Salt seems to be improving my sleep

[...]

Let me first declare, when I was in the midst of tapering off benzos and during my withdrawal, most "off-the-shelf" cures had limited impact on my insomnia.

That said, I am now two years off benzos and while I do sleep, it is a struggle.  I spend about 10 hours to get refreshed.  I basically wake up about every 2 hours and then do all kinds of things to fall back to sleep (supplements, mediation, yoga, reading, etc).  This cycle repeats 4 or 5 times a night. But I am feeling refreshed by morning.

All that said, here was a surprise.

I took a hot epsom salt bath and then did not rinse off in the shower afterward.

I SLEPT FOR 5 HOURS STRAIGHT.  In addition, I fell back to sleep much easier.

I have repeated this test the last 3 or 4 nights and each night, my sleep is clearly better.

In the past, when I took a hot epsom salt bath, I would rinse off in the shower. 

I am assuming, but NOT rinsing the salts off my body, my body is absorbing the salts during the night?

To be clear, I do rinse my hands and arms so I do not rub salt in my eyes, but I am guessing about 70% of my body is left with the salts.

I am excited about this sleep improvement so I am sharing.

Hi bob x thanks for sharing.

Yes magnesium is absorbed better thru ur skin, u can also buy topical magnesium to rub on skin helps with aches and pains. I’ve tried baths but didn’t help me much with sleep but I’m still in acute. I’m so happy it’s helping u! Wonderful news! I’ll have one tonight tho just incase xx

R - do not rinse the salt off after the bath - at least not too much.

Back when I "took a shower" AFTER the Epsom bath, I got no real help from the Epsom.

You may have been deficient in Magnesium, so that may be why this is working for you. Magnesemium is the calming mineral. When it's low you can become restless and anxious, making it hard to sleep.

You can buy a product called Magnesium OIl, which is essentially a brine you apply and rub into the skin.

A lot of people are deficient in Magnesium and aren't even aware, especially if you eat processed grains. Whole grains are great sources of Magnesium. Taking supplements such as Magnesium Glycinate can help.

Glad the Epsom Salts are helping you.

Bob7

How much epsom salts did you use in your bath (ie. amount?)

So glad that this is helping you out.

Thanks,

WinnieDog

I use a full cup and only fill the bathtub about a 3rd full.

I have used oils and oral pills in the past but never with this same powerful benefit.

I'm thinking of making a spray bottle full of water and epsom mixture and spread on myself before bed.

Hi Bob, thanks for the update. I may try the spray bottle or epsom's salts, as a late bath typically wakes me up too much. 

I was willing to try the bath just in case, but the spray bottle sounds better. 

I also liked BenzoLottie's suggestion concerning the brine. 

Perhaps I am low on magnesium at the cellular level. Taking supplements causes GI issues.

I always eat whole grains, so who knows.

Take care,

NG

I use to do the same thing when I was in the thick of insomnia. I think the epsom salt baths helped me a lot. Not that it would always help me to fully fall asleep, but it did make me much calmer after.