Tips for obsessing over sleep?

[Jw...]

Hi

I completely got off benzos 3 weeks and 3 days ago after a first short term use. You can read about it in my signature.

First days off I had insomnia (I would wake up at night and not get to sleep again). This lasted for only 2-5 days, I can't remember.

Last Tuesday I had a really bad night again but this time it was onset insomnia (which is worse imo).

Ever since that night I have been sleeping badly and have been obsessing over sleep. I would already get nervous thinking about sleep and when the time came to get to bed I was even more nervous. (Don't know if I'm in a wave since I don't have any other symptoms?)

I know this stress is very counterproductive and want to do something about it. I have read too many things about how bad sleep deprivation is and this only adds to the stress (I know, stupid me  :idiot: ) since I also have exams in one month. I would like some tips from you guys.

EDIT: Also something very weird happened. As I was trying to sleep, my right leg suddenly kicked forward like if I was trying to kick a ball (I sleep on my side). This was so weird but now that I think back of it I find it kind of funny.

Thanks and stay well!

[50...]
Honestly, it's probably not from benzos. Escitalopram is a highly stimulating drug, as are almost all antidepressants. Amitriptyline, tricyclic antidepressant which I tried specifically for sleep (it has antihistaminic side-effects), gave me myclonus and I couldn't sleep for days at all from hypnic jerks ad infinitum.

So you mean it's like a side effect of the escitalopram?

From the things I've read it's supposed to ultimately improve sleeping problems. I'm almost 2 months on the escitalopram.

[50...]

So you mean it's like a side effect of the escitalopram?

From the things I've read it's supposed to ultimately improve sleeping problems. I'm almost 2 months on the escitalopram.

Can cocaine improve sleeping problems? SSRIs and SNRIs are highly stimulating, as are, unfortunately TCAs (despite their antihistaminergic action, for which reason they are sometimes prescribed for sleep) as I've had a misfortune to find out. The only antidepressants that I know of that promote sleep are atypical antidepressants agomelatine, mirtazapine, trazodone, and tianeptine.

Okay, so let's say I switch to an atypical one, would I still need to wait 6-8 weeks for it to take effect?

And would I need to taper the escitalopram?

[50...]

No, atypicals work more like benzos, they act right away, which is why they are frequently used as a sleep, or anti-anxiety aid for people withdrawing from benzos. But, everyone here was burned by drugs, and would probably advise you to try and resolve your issues without drugs if you can.

As for escitalopram, you were only on it for a short-time so you could probably get away with cold-turkey. However, in my experience it's better safe than sorry with these things. You can do a quick taper, e.g. taking half the original dose for a week, then a quarter for another week, before jumping.

Yeah, I went to a therapist for the first time this Friday. I like him.

He knew the dangers of drugs but recommended me to stay on the escitalopram unless there are medical reasons for it. He said I should ask my GP if the insomnia could be caused by the escitalopram. My GP said that it's not possible and was already thinking of putting me back on alprazolam LOL. It's a shame though, he's very nice but he's better at treating physical pain than emotional.

I'm not in any emotional distress anymore but I'm really confused about what I should do. I'm sure my parents wouldn't want me to stop taking it either.

Could you maybe have an explanation as to why I was able to sleep well the last 2 weeks and then suddenly not anymore?

Thanks!

[50...]

I'm not in any emotional distress anymore but I'm really confused about what I should do. I'm sure my parents wouldn't want me to stop taking it either.

You should be made aware that the longer you take it, the harder it is going to be to stop.

Could you maybe have an explanation as to why I was able to sleep well the last 2 weeks and then suddenly not anymore?

For medical monoamine reuptake inhibitors it usually takes a while for the full effect to "kick in" but also it can take a while for withdrawal symptoms to "kick in" e.g. people discontinuing long-term use of SSRIs can get no withdrawal symptoms immediately upon stopping the drug, but get late-onset symptoms 3-6 months later. Maybe serotonin levels in your brain weren't yet high enough 2 weeks ago to start causing problems (the most common side-effects of SSRIs next to insomnia are sexual issues).

Maybe serotonin levels in your brain weren't yet high enough 2 weeks ago to start causing problems (the most common side-effects of SSRIs next to insomnia are sexual issues).

Oh okay, makes sense.

That only leaves me with these questions:

Will the insomnia go away if I decide to keep taking the same dose?

If I decide to halve the dose will I immediately notice a change in my sleep?

[50...]

Will the insomnia go away if I decide to keep taking the same dose?

I'm not sure anyone can tell you that a priori. It's something you can only find out empirically.

If I decide to halve the dose will I immediately notice a change in my sleep?

I'm not sure. Given that it takes time to build up, my guess is that it will take time to build down as it were. Also, escitalopram has a fairly long half-life, a single dose can remain in your system for up to a week.

Hi

I completely got off benzos 3 weeks and 3 days ago after a first short term use. You can read about it in my signature.

First days off I had insomnia (I would wake up at night and not get to sleep again). This lasted for only 2-5 days, I can't remember.

Last Tuesday I had a really bad night again but this time it was onset insomnia (which is worse imo).

Ever since that night I have been sleeping badly and have been obsessing over sleep. I would already get nervous thinking about sleep and when the time came to get to bed I was even more nervous. (Don't know if I'm in a wave since I don't have any other symptoms?)

I know this stress is very counterproductive and want to do something about it. I have read too many things about how bad sleep deprivation is and this only adds to the stress (I know, stupid me  :idiot: ) since I also have exams in one month. I would like some tips from you guys.

EDIT: Also something very weird happened. As I was trying to sleep, my right leg suddenly kicked forward like if I was trying to kick a ball (I sleep on my side). This was so weird but now that I think back of it I find it kind of funny.

Thanks and stay well!

You might want to follow the posts of member ThEwAy2, he has excellent suggestions. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=235100.0

@[pa...]

Sorry lol, one more question:

Does this serotonin effect happen to everyone using SSRIs at some point?

@Pamster :

Thanks a lot, I knew I've read some tips from him but couldn't find them anymore.

[50...]

Does this serotonin effect happen to everyone using SSRIs at some point?

I wouldn't call it serotonin effect. It sounds too similar to serotonin syndrome which is a life-threathning adverse reaction. But, given above normal elevated levels of serotonin one would expect side-effects.