Gas leak?

[Cr...]

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is a side effect of withdrawal or some sort of gas/chemical leak. On some nights I wake up in the middle of the night with breathing difficulties and the smell of something burning.  I even open the windows and still experience these symptoms.  I'm unable to locate the burning smell.  My mouth is also extremely dry and I feel some burning in my throat,  upper chest area. I am feel a dull headache.

I can relate to this one, I swore I could smell gas coming from my neighbors natural gas meter, I alerted them but they couldn't smell it so I called the gas company.  Yeah, no leak, just crazy withdrawal symptoms smelling, seeing and hearing phantoms.  :crazy:

I had an extremely dry mouth but I don't remember burning in my throat, my chest was heavy like an elephant was sitting on it.  I didn't suffer many headaches though.

I have had endless different burning and chemical smells in this and smell of gas etc.

Have to get my partner to tell me it is not real.

Also wet dog, pencil shavings, acetone.

My mouth does not taste like mine and taste horribly chemical. Can’t describe it.

If clean teeth minty taste lasts seconds and then disappears.

Can’t smell ambient scents at all now but other scents like toilet roll etc far too strong.

Reminds me of when got ill with ME/CFS in 1996.

Think benzos have been covering up my hypersomnia, hyperacusis etc for decades.

Benzos hurt our brains.  Rapid tapers hurt, too.  Going up and down in dose is not ideal.  You are pregnant, and benzos aren't great for pregnancy. 

Seems like a rapid taper is how you have to do this.  If you are not having overwhelming symptoms, then try to see it through.  However, I wish you could taper evenly and not go up and down like that.  Once you drop down in a dose, stay there, wait, then drop again.  But those are big reductions. 

How is it going other than the phantom smells?

I think you should do as your doctor recommends.  However, if it gets really difficult, you maybe can ask her if you can do a slower and more even taper.  Perhaps it will not be so difficult for you.  You have been on benzos for over 4 years, although two kinds.  Klonopin has a long half life.  Symptoms can catch up.  But that said, not everyone has a terrible time.  Many taper with minimal problems.  We see the tough cases here, because if it's easy there is no need to be on a support forum.  I hope this goes very smoothly for you.

Oh my goodness, so this device identified a dangerous gas and you had to leave your place?  I'm certainly glad you didn't listen to us, is management going to fix it?

I guess it is a phantom smell since its followed you but I'm sure glad you checked out the other issue.  I'm sorry you're going to have to move, it's stressful and could cause an uptick in symptoms.  But you and your daughters health must come first, keep us posted okay?

Gotta tell you, benzo withdrawal is the strangest experience I've ever had, the combination of mental, physical and emotional symptoms takes an incredible toll on us.  This is why we join a support forum because we think we're going crazy but you're not, it's the stupid pill. 

Can you fill in your signature so we can see where you're at in your benzo journey, that way we won't have to go back to your first posts to know how to help you.  Here are the instructions.  Add your history/signature 

Just gotta say, I thought I smelled gas this summer, called the gas company and sure enough there were 3 gas leaks.  Don't automatically assume its your symptoms.  Be safe and have it checked out.

Hi guys,

I called the fire department again.  I guess a combination of withdrawal symptoms,  a long with issues like these can skyrocket traumatic situations.  The gas company came out after the fire department and found leaks coming from my oven. The fire department had turned the gas off of my oven but there was still gas leaking.  I agree, not everything can be contributed to withdrawal.

You're amazing Crammy, your perseverance is to your credit, I'm so glad you didn't listen to me or anyone else who chalked it up to benzo's, way to go! 

Thanks for the signature, it looks great.  :thumbsup: