Help with heart meds

[4c...]

[4c...]

After my cold turkey from Valium my heart was only pumping at 35-40% EF.

I had no choice but to take a beta blocker and ACE inhibitor.

One year ago my heart was pumping better at 55%.  With I believe 70 being the best. I could be wrong.

But the past two months I’ve noticed my blood pressure dropping a lot. So I called to have my Coreg lowered to the lowest dose. But my ace inhibitor is at the lowest dose and if I don’t take it I get rebound head pain.

Has anyone ever tapered or cut the lowest dose of lisinopril? I’m kinda at a loss at how to do this.

I’d like to be free of these pills. And I think my body is ready.

I have a wonderful cardiologist that always helps me adjust my dosage accordingly. But making a jump off I don’t know what to expect.

I haven’t been put on blood pressure medication. I was put on Metoprolol (beta blocker) though. My heart EF was fine in normal range. They put me on the beta blocker because of the ridiculous tachycardia I was having. I am interested in your experience in getting off of the beta blocker when you are able to though, if you could please update. This post has already given me some hope that I may be able to come off of Metoprolol at some point. 😊

Good luck, I hope someone can give you some amazing techniques or at least a very hopefully story. I’m sure you will have some kind of withdrawal from coming off because your body is used to the chemical.

[4c...]

I will definitely update you on the process.  :) I think I’m going to keep some sort of journal logging to help me remember. I still forget things so easily. 

Today was last day on my beta blocker at 6.25mg twice a day.

Tomorrow will be 3.25mg twice a day

:)

I hated the tachycardia. I’m sure I’ll have some rebound symptoms.

Which beta blocker were you on?  I’m so happy for you that you have made it through this!!!  ❤️❤️😊

What were the showing signs that your body was able to come off the beta blocker?

[4c...]

Oh sorry, the Coreg is a beta blocker. That’s what I’m tapering at the moment. I have went from 12mg twice a day down to 6.25mf twice a day now I’m cutting down to 3.25mg twice a day tomorrow :)

The first cut was not hard at all. I noticed no symptoms so I’m hoping after tomorrow I don’t have many either :)

So I’m not off yet, but down to the lowest dose from starting at the highest  :)

Oh that’s so awesome to hear!!!  I’m so glad you aren’t having any troubles. I’m on 12.5mg Metoprolol twice a day. I’m pretty sure I still have a long way to go considering I’m only 2minths off of medication. But I’m just elated that there is hope to get off of these things and the body does heal while on them. I was so afraid of that.

[4c...]
I know exactly what you mean. 2 months off is still early. I’m almost two years off from cold turkey. Takes some time but we do heal  :)

[4c...]

Day 3 of the lowest dose and I’ve had some tightness in the chest and flutters. Small headaches that come and go. Didn’t help yhat I started doing this the day a wave hit me. But my blood pressure is remaining steady at 110/69  :) heart rate 92.

When I went on the pills my blood pressure was dangerous, different fluctuations and resting heart rate was 130-140 most days.

So I’d say the taper from beta blocker is going well so far  :)

The chest tightness and flutters are brief and not painful, just annoying. Seems to be calming down.

Oh I’m so happy you are titrating well!  You’ve so got this!  You’re RESTING heart rate was 130 to 140??????  Just sitting on the couch not moving???  What was your walking HR if it was that high resting???  How low did the beta blockers take your heart rate while you were in them? 

[4c...]

Thank you :smitten:

Yes resting in bed was 130-140. I would imagine from the low EF.

During my stress test my heart rate went up to 168 within mins of walking. And 206 fast walking within 5 mins.

These tests were done before starting the beta blockers.

My heart rate remained steady at 100-105  with the beta blockers.

Until recently and it has dropped down to the 90s :)

OHMY!  That’s high!!!!  My heart rate on the beta blockers is anywhere from 92 to 128 first waking up in the morning. I get panic attacks and cortisol surges that wake me up at 4AM everyday. But it goes down to high 80’s to mid 90’s after 15 to 20 minutes. I take my Metoprolol at 5:30AM and in about 10 minutes it drops to mid 70’s. At around 8AM it’s down to anywhere from 52 to 68. My walking average is like 81 to 91 on beta blockers. Sleeping heart rate is anywhere from 62 to 72. My resting starts to get up to high 70’s low 80’s right around the time for the second pill. I’m over here thinking my numbers get high while on beta blockers and you are like nope resting is 92 with a smile.  You’re beasting through all of this with such grace!  Your numbers off beta blockers sound like mine were before starting aside from the resting rate. My resting rate was like 92-98 majority of the time. But the walking would be 168-206 in no time flat, not even fast walking just regular pace. I freak out when it comes to the heart man. That’s a muscle that can not repair if it gets too damaged.

[4c...]

Your numbers before beta blockers was definitely high.  Sounds like they work for you really well. My cardiologist was always telling me to get up and walk until I did the stress test lol then they said let the beta blockers do it’s thing before I was active again. I wasn’t able to be active anyway from the rest of the pain I was in.  3am was always when mine would wake me up and keep me up.

And LOL at me beasting it out. Isn’t it crazy that our bodies go through so much that even something that can be a little alarming to someone else it seems like cake to you? If I have to get my heart rate checked before an appointment they are always like oh wow it’s 103 it’s a little high and I’m always like no way that’s great that’s low! Haha. My GP doesn’t think a thing of it now when it’s in the 90s.

But beta blockers was very helpful for me during my healing. I’m thankful for them. But I’m more thankful that I’m able to try and come off  :)

Do you still get the 3AM wake up??  Mine is anywhere between 3 and 4AM.  I’m surprised you weren’t freaking out about the 100-105!  Even the 92!  My heart rate on the beta blockers still gets into 90’s low 100’s when I have a panic attack and I freak out a bit, thinking I might need to increase up to 25mg twice a day. How are your blood sugars through all of this?  And did you ever get rampid PVCs?  I can’t stand them. I still get them all of the time, especially after eating. My cardiologist says it’s possibly anxiety related but I’m like after I eat, nah.  You’re a true beast mama. I’m glad I get to confer with you over these things and that you have been so open about you’re experiences. I’m hoping continuing having these talks with you gives me the strength to beast through this too!

Betterfuture

Have you been diagnosed with POTS!!!!

What you are describing, really sounds like POTS.

I'm been tested for it right now, have to do 24 hr BP monitoring in a few weeks - not looking forward to it.

WinnieDog

[4c...]

Paxia-

I sometimes still wake up easily with racing heart but doesn’t happen often. Maybe once a month. Nothing like before. PVCs don’t happen much anymore either. Probably a couple times a month. Your encouragement gives me hope. It’s always nice to have someone rooting for you. You mentioned after eating, mine was the same way! Doesn’t happen anymore.

[4c...]

Betterfuture

Have you been diagnosed with POTS!!!!

What you are describing, really sounds like POTS.

I'm been tested for it right now, have to do 24 hr BP monitoring in a few weeks - not looking forward to it.

WinnieDog

Hi Winniedog!

I haven’t been diagnosed with POTS. I actually had to look it up after you mentioned that.

I wore a heart monitor for about 30 days after my echo and stress test.

All they diagnosed me with what right sided heart failure ( 35-40% ) EF. Tachycardia and high blood pressure.

Most of my symptoms have subsided. My heart is now functioning better so I’m hoping I’m not diagnosed with anything else lol

But if for some reason when I come off my heart meds my heart starts acting weird again I might have to mention it to my doctor. It’s not something that I was familiar with but I’m glad I am now as it could be helpful in the future.  ☺️

Hope your testing goes well!!

[4c...]

Do you still get the 3AM wake up??  Mine is anywhere between 3 and 4AM.  I’m surprised you weren’t freaking out about the 100-105!  Even the 92!  My heart rate on the beta blockers still gets into 90’s low 100’s when I have a panic attack and I freak out a bit, thinking I might need to increase up to 25mg twice a day. How are your blood sugars through all of this?  And did you ever get rampid PVCs?  I can’t stand them. I still get them all of the time, especially after eating. My cardiologist says it’s possibly anxiety related but I’m like after I eat, nah.  You’re a true beast mama. I’m glad I get to confer with you over these things and that you have been so open about you’re experiences. I’m hoping continuing having these talks with you gives me the strength to beast through this too!

I meant to tell you in my last post that my blood sugar remained normal throughout everything. It was high one time and it wasn’t even high enough to raise concern  :)

I seem to be the only one on here that’s having blood sugar issues through this. I had gestational diabetes but once my son was born it went away and I was back to normal. Now through this my blood sugars get pretty high after eating carbs. I had to cut back immensely and that’s not helping me put weight back on. The higher the carbs and sugars, the higher the calories and weight gain. I’m tired of looking like a skeleton (I am down to 90lbs) and look like a twig. I’m so happy to hear that the horrid PVCs do go away though. That’s such a relief!  They were freaking me out today after dinner especially because they haven’t started to lessen yet.

[4c...]

I only had my sugar checked a few times. It could have been higher but it wasn’t noticeable. My dad was never on benzos but his sugar spikes if he has carbs or sugar. He eats chicken and eggs. I swear that’s all his diet consists of lol it’s hard cooking for him bc I don’t eat meat.  But it keeps his sugar in check. I went from 140lbs to 110 for the longest time. I may have dipped below that but it wasn’t by much. Now I’m a steady 125. Do you have to check your sugar daily? I read somewhere that WD can cause spikes.

And my tapering is going smoothly  :) I had no palpitations for flutters yesterday or last night and I actually slept 8 hrs straight! I can NOT believe that. It’s been so long since I slept like that. I usually wake up every couple of hours and it takes forever to fall back to sleep. Hoping that it continues this way.  I am on trazodone, but I was on that years before I was put on the Valium so after my heart meds I’ll wait 6 months and then try to taper those.  My hope is to be  med free by this time next year  :) 

I do. I still had my glucose monitor from when I was pregnant so after I got dizzy with blurry vision and extreme fatigue (of course those pesky PVCs were there too) after eating a hamburger one day I decided to check my sugars and it was really high!  So I started checking it regularly but I was pricking my finger like 16 to 20 times a day, so my doctor put me on the freestyle libre (a continuous glucose monitor). Ugh, I can’t wait for this protracted withdrawal to be over with!  And I’ve got a long way to go, I’m still in very early recovery. It already feels like it’s been forever!

Yay! On the taper though!  That’s awesome!  I’m so glad you are doing so well with it!  You give me so much hope daily! 

[4c...]

Good morning paxia!

How have you been doing the past couple of days? I hope you’re doing well.

I had some rebound tachycardia yesterday but it only lasted a couple hours. They told me it was to be expected. But other than that this taper hasn’t been too bad.

Yay!  Look at you still beasting through like a champ!  I’ve been doing okay. Yesterday was a pretty bad day, high heart rate, chest pain, adrenaline surges, dizziness, the works. Today doesn’t seem to be so bad. I had some minor dizziness when I woke up, but my heart rate was only 105 this morning so compared to yesterday today is going pretty well. How high did your heart rate get with the rebound tachy?  See that’s what scares me about coming  off of these meds. If you don’t do it just right it will reshock your nervous system. Fingers crossed that rebound tachy doesn’t last too long for you and you can move on with your benzo healing. I’m so happy it’s going so well for you. You’ve suffered enough.

• 4 weeks later...
[4c...]

A little bummed out today. My cardiologist retired and the Np wants me to stay on the lowest dose of both my carvedilol and Lisinopril until I see the new doctor.

And said to stay on the meds until further notice. I was excited to come off but without the help of a doctor I’m afraid to do that since it’s my heart.

On a positive note : I’m doing great after cutting my dose in half. I experienced some nausea and muscle pain but I think that has pretty much passed.

We also had positive covid tests but remained asymptomatic for two weeks. So that could have contributed to my wave and nausea.

I’m sorry you are bummed!  😔 I know you were excited to get off of the heart meds but maybe it’s okay for just a little bit longer. No harm in that if it’s helping your heart!  Ohmy!  I’m sorry you had COVID!  That’s scary!  I’m scared to death to catch it with all of this going on!  I’m glad you are doing okay otherwise. You should put “Beasting through this cold turkey withdrawal like a champ!” On your signature. Just because it’s so fitting. 😊