Burning Sensation mostly in my right leg/foot

[di...]

I did a search here and found many posts about a burning sensation during withdraw.  During my 5 days clean after a short taper (I was out of meds, I wasn't doing this on purpose), I had a burning feeling in my right leg and foot (other areas too but not as serious).  I had to turn down the heat in the house to 68 degrees.  Nothing was warm to the touch, so I assumed it was overacting nerves.  It kinda felt like my skin was peeling off even though I have no idea what that would really feel like.  The other main annoying symptom was occasional muscle twitching also my jaw would close kinda harsh on my teeth.  I'm describing physical issues here, the mental ones are typical ones.

I got back on my meds (Klonopin 1/2 mg 2x day) and eventually all issues disappeared.

My main question is WHY does this happen, WHAT IS GOING ON medically?

Is there any literature about this?

This is what Professor Ashton had to say about these sensations.

Bodily sensations. All sorts of strange tinglings, pins and needles, patches of numbness, feelings of electric shocks, sensations of hot and cold, itching, and deep burning pain are not uncommon during benzodiazepine withdrawal. It is difficult to give an exact explanation for these sensations but, like motor nerves, the sensory nerves, along with their connections in the spinal cord and brain, become hyperexcitable during withdrawal. It is possible that sensory receptors in skin and muscle, and in the tissue sheaths around bones, may fire off impulses chaotically in response to stimuli that do not normally affect them.

In my clinic, nerve conduction studies in patients with such symptoms revealed nothing abnormal - for example, there was no evidence of peripheral neuritis. However, the symptoms were sometimes enough to puzzle neurologists. Three patients with a combination of numbness, muscle spasms and double vision were diagnosed as having multiple sclerosis. This diagnosis, and all the symptoms, disappeared soon after the patients stopped their benzodiazepines.

Thus these sensory symptoms, though disconcerting, are usually nothing to worry about. Very occasionally, they may persist (see section on protracted symptoms). Meanwhile, the same measures suggested under muscle symptoms (above) can do much to alleviate them, and they usually disappear after withdrawal.

The Ashton Manual