Why does it take so long for GABA receptor to upregulate?

[co...]

Hi,

I'm nearly 6 months out from a two year 20mg diazepam taper.. I still have symptoms but they're lessening everyday. These include: cognitive impairment, depression (although it is lifting), memory issues, concentration problems, dp/dr, sleep issues , etc..

But my question is: why does it take such a long time to heal?? Why is it very quick when healing from opiates such as methadone or heroin, or even alcohol, cannabis, speed etc... But for benzos it's such a damn long long time??

I mean, I was on methadone a few years back and detoxed from that.. It took a few weeks to feel better.. It took a few months to feel better from SSRIs. It took a few weeks to feel better from cannabis.... It took a few weeks to feel better from Heroin... It took a few weeks to feel better from cocaine and alcohol...

What's the reason for this?  I mean some of these drugs use GABA and glutamate in their mechanism of action...

(admins please move if in the wrong area)..

The rate of withdrawal of treatment needs to allow time for GABA receptors to regenerate if withdrawal symptoms are to be minimized. Your brain has literally been rewired by benzos. Unlike other drugs, the brain has to rewire itself back to its pre-benzo state. This takes as long as it takes. Every person heals at a different rate. Maybe giving things your brain uses to heal might help like omega 3 fatty acids? You can get this by eating fish. The healthier your diet the quicker your healing will be IMHO.

Probably only a scientist with a specialty in these drugs can answer exactly.

But, heroin acts mostly on opiod receptors in the brain,  cocaine acts on dopamine, meth and speed act on dopamine, and benzos act primarily on gaba receptors, dopamine and the central nervous system.  In other words, benzos primary mechanism of action is on the gaba receptors.  This is not the case with the other drugs.  More damage is done to the gaba receptors with benzos. 

I always say, do not let the size of that little pill fool you. 

[6d...]
Because it's not just GABAA receptors which are hurt in benzo withdrawal. Otherwise flumazenil would be the silver bullet for benzo withdrawal, and withdrawal symptoms would be gone in two weeks. Glutamatergic system is hyperexcited with benzo use and especially benzo withdrawal which appears to be a much bigger problem. Glutamatergic circuits appear to operate in a sort of positive-feeback loop, which is why kindling is a thing and why it may take so long for it to calm down.