Scared

[Cr...]

Hi everyone,

My doctor has placed me on a structured taper that has been working so far. It's pretty rapid, as I discovered that I am newly pregnant.  She has me on rotational daily doses 1 mg one day, 0.75 the next day for 1 week. Then .5 mg one day and .75mg for the next day for a week. Then .5 mg one day and .25 mg the next day for one week. Then .25 mg for one week and jump. I'm taking klonopin btw.

I'm experiencing feelings of being spaced out or just watching the world like I'm viewing a movie. It feels very scary. I feel airy headed or like I'm not totally present.  What is this called that I'm feeling and why am I experiencing it?

Professor Ashton describes what you're feeling in The Ashton Manual, it's nothing to be scared about, it's just part of the process.

Depersonalisation, derealisation. Feelings of depersonalisation and of unreality are associated with benzodiazepine withdrawal, although they also occur in anxiety states. They occur most often during over-rapid withdrawal from potent benzodiazepines and are, anecdotally, particularly marked on withdrawal from clonazepam (Klonopin). In these states, the person seems detached from his body and seems almost to be observing it from the outside. Similar experiences are described in near-death states when the individual feels that he is hovering above his body, detached from the events occurring below. They are also described by people involved in extreme emergencies and in individuals subjected to torture. They are clearly not specific to benzodiazepines.

Such experiences probably represent a normal defensive reaction evolved as a protection against intolerable suffering. They may involve a primitive brain mechanism similar to the "freezing" of some animals when presented with an inescapable danger. Like other benzodiazepine withdrawal symptoms, these feelings resolve in time and should not be interpreted as abnormal or crazy.

Your taper is very rapid and the dosing changes aren't what Professor Ashton recommends, I understand you're pregnant and want to eliminate the drug as quickly as possible but if things get intolerable for you, you might want to slow things down.

Slow withdrawal means tapering dosage gradually, usually over a period of some months. The aim is to obtain a smooth, steady and slow decline in blood and tissue concentrations of benzodiazepines so that the natural systems in the brain can recover their normal state.

[30...]

Sounds like derealization (DR), a very common feeling during withdrawal.

Fast taper isn't ideal, but neither is mixing benzos and pregnancy.  Hang in there.

Thanks everyone.  It seems to be a constant thing, instead of being in waves.  Is this normal for a rapid taper?

When we talk about windows and waves this doesn't mean small waves like what you're thinking about, you experiencing this steady condition in normal.  Windows and waves will typically occur during and after a taper and we call them waves because an onset of symptoms will wash over you building up until they crash over you.  Windows are periods of normalcy, like a window into your future.

Don't be concerned if you don't experience any windows, I only felt a brief one after my cold turkey and it only lasted a few seconds so while they're wonderful, they don't mean you're not healing. 

I have experienced Depersonalization before. That is some really scary stuff. Try to just be an observer and just be one with it until it goes away. Try not to react to it. Just notice it. That is what I did.

[30...]

As weird as it feels, nobody around you suspects a thing.  You look and sound more normal than you think you do.  As long as you play it cool, nobody will be the wiser.

I felt like I was in a different physical plane.  Kind of like the Star Trek transporter had malfunctioned.  I often felt like I could see/hear people, but they couldn't see/hear me.  Of course, they could see/hear me just fine.  This was all going on inside my head - fueled by the chemistry of withdrawal.

Hi there i am healed now and this is definitely scary nut i can assure you this will go away.  you will be fine,its very common when you come off this stuff.  just try to distract yourself and knowledge is power.  know that this is a symptom and will away.  peace be with you!

Hi IamHaHeWeblessu,

Thank you for your comfort and reply.  Is the below normal as well,  as I am not experiencing this about 5 to 6 days after my cuts. I am also experiencing the nerve in my left leg vibrating.

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is a side effect of withdrawal or some sort of gas/chemical leak. On some nights I wake up in the middle of the night with breathing difficulties and the smell of something burning.  I even open the windows and still experience these symptoms.  I'm unable to locate the burning smell.  My mouth is also extremely dry and I feel some burning in my throat,  upper chest area. I am feel a dull headache