In the US - experience w/ work medical leave- FMLA, ST/LT disability?

[DI...]

I’ve been barely able to function at work for the last several months. I’ve experienced super intense anxiety, cognitive dysfunction, and memory difficulties (and more!) while at work. I’d be so helpful to actually rest without feeling the constant need to hide the horror I’m experiencing on the inside.

Does anyone have experience with work medical leave? I’m thinking FMLA - family medical leave act, which at my company could get me 4 weeks paid + more unpaid. And then I have a short term disability plan which would get me 60% of my salary for 12 weeks. This would be so helpful for my mental health (I think! With anxiety, you never know!).

I’m worried about having to prove my symptoms, since they primarily are psychological. I also fear not being understood or taken seriously, knowing the general lack of knowledge of benzo withdrawal. I don’t have a knowledgeable doctor (been through 3 recently who haven’t understood).

Thanks

Are your symptoms from reducing medication?  Or are you on meds because of your symptoms?

Yes I have experience with all the disabilities you mentioned.

I went on STD. But I have a very trusting amazing PCP. She made sure I had all of the needed medical documentation in order to continue to get paid.

Thanks. My symptoms are from reducing my meds. I originally went on clonazepam due to anxiety, and have been having way worse anxiety (and more) due to tolerance and withdrawal.

Just this week I've asked for a step down at work temporarily while I wait for the worst of the symptoms to pass. I think having some work to do will be more healthy for me than not having anything to do. (I've had bad depression when not working previously). We'll see.

Thank you for your input!

• 4 weeks later...
[6e...]

hello. In my previous job, I worked for a psychiatrist and i filled out the SSA/SSDI forms for the patients based on their symptoms. I never imagined I would be on it, but...here I am...a member of BB... so really not surprised now.

I also could not fill my own out without a lawyer. I could answer the sections they required, I just could not get it together to gather the initiation of my pursuit. I could not get my shit together yet i could still write an in-depth explanation of how my life was vs how it is. If that makes sense?( and their questions are guides for this). I am happy to find my paperwork and answer any questions or assist you if I can.

I would stress the importance of presenting yourself at your VERY WORST moment(s). This is not deceptive nor is it wrong. It is a disabling moment which may last seconds, minutes, days....how can one function at work when they do not know when they can function, for how long,

( frequency and intensity are extreme yet not consistent-however there many many more bad days than good). The system is the system. You are disabled and now-you must present it in a language that they accept. Please let me know if this is helpful and if you need any further information or set out to apply and face overwhelm or uncertainty just ask me. If you feel comfortable.