Glad to Be Here. My name is Jon and I started a Benzo Taper w my Doctor Recently

[Wa...]

I talked my doctor into doing an 8% reduction from clonazepam to start on 11/25/20. Even though I have been on clonazepam for 30 years the doses have changed a lot over the years. The dose started at .5mg and just kept being increased by doctors over time due to tolerance. For the last 2 years I have been on 3mg of clonazepam. I guess I really need help because I thought 8% would be fine to start with. I guess I am ignorant of just how to get off this drug without too much suffering. :tickedoff: The first couple of days were bad but doable. Had sickly feeling in stomach and a bunch of other issues. But tonight at around 9pm came the confusion and it lasted over an hour. I thought this effect was for cold turkey or fast withdrawal? What am I doing wrong? Is 8% too fast? Is confusion common? I have to admit. I am scared. Would love some of your wisdom to get through this nightmare.

Waking

Confusion is a common withdrawal symptom.  Symptoms are not only for cold turkey withdrawals.  There are many symptoms and even a steady careful taper provokes them. 

You need to accept that there will be symptoms, and that they are unpleasant.  The best way to minimize them is to taper a maximum of 10% and hold until symptoms settle a bit.  There is no way to taper without some discomfort. 

Your dose is quite high.  Clonazepam is a powerful benzo.  It takes 3 or 4 days for withdrawal symptoms to appear after a reduction, another 10 days or so for them to settle.

If 8% feels too much, make smaller reductions.  Try 5% next time.  Know that these reductions are not from the start dose, but from the concurrent new doses as you go down.

Be brave.  You can taper and be benzo free.  It takes time. 

Confusion is a common withdrawal symptom.  Symptoms are not only for cold turkey withdrawals.  There are many symptoms and even a steady careful taper provokes them. 

Thank you for answering this. I did not know this. The doctors thought I was crazy.

You need to accept that there will be symptoms, and that they are unpleasant.

I have lived with a lot of pain and suffering and am stronger for it and even grateful for it. It makes me savor the times that are good that much more. I accept the pain and suffering as long as there is an end to it at some point and there is. I just had read in many places that confusion was only for cold turkey and if one withdrawaled way too fast. Guess that was only partly correct.

The best way to minimize them is to taper a maximum of 10% and hold until symptoms settle a bit.  There is no way to taper without some discomfort. 

Your dose is quite high.  Clonazepam is a powerful benzo.  It takes 3 or 4 days for withdrawal symptoms to appear after a reduction, another 10 days or so for them to settle.

If 8% feels too much, make smaller reductions.  Try 5% next time.

I will do this, thanks.

Know that these reductions are not from the start dose, but from the concurrent new doses as you go down.

Yes, but I am working with a doctor. How do I get him too understand this and how do I get pills to such exact mg doses?

Be brave.  You can taper and be benzo free.  It takes time.

Always, It is a war one must win at all costs. All I have is time until my spirit is freed from this confining human suit.  :laugh:

Explain to your doctor you want to have a careful taper at 10% of each concurrent new dose and holds up to 2 weeks.  If the doctor does not agree, you can explain that you want to succeed and you are certain going slower is more likely to work for you.  Assure him/her that you want the same thing .. for you to be benzo free.

You can do a liquid taper.  You can compound your pills and do this yourself at home.  I do not know how, but many on this site do.  This will give you a way to make exact reductions and smaller reductions. 

Post a question asking for help on how to do that.

Explain to your doctor you want to have a careful taper at 10% of each concurrent new dose and holds up to 2 weeks.  If the doctor does not agree, you can explain that you want to succeed and you are certain going slower is more likely to work for you.  Assure him/her that you want the same thing .. for you to be benzo free.

You can do a liquid taper.  You can compound your pills and do this yourself at home.  I do not know how, but many on this site do.  This will give you a way to make exact reductions and smaller reductions. 

Post a question asking for help on how to do that.

Great, thank you. Much of my anxiety about how to do it has just been removed