It's a crime that all psychiatrists in Holland prescribe 5 mg of valium per 1 mg

[Ni...]

It's a crime that all psychiatrists in Holland (the Netherlands) prescribe 5 mg of valium max per 1 mg of Ativan as the equivalent, instead of 10 mg of valium.

they do the same here in Canada too!

The Dr showed me the chart and it does show that the range is anywhere from 5mg to 10mg.

they start with 5mg, as sometimes that's all a person needs and then they move up from there etc.

However, the Dr I'm working with does it this way, because their goal is to get people off completely and they don't like to give more, as people then have to come down more etc.

Everyone's body is different and everyone metabolizes it differently, so no one can say for sure what the correct conversion is - even the amazing compounding pharmacist that I found said the same thing.

WinnieDog

• 4 weeks later...
This is what my doctor did here in the US.  I was on 4 mg Ativan, and I showed him the Ashton Manual with the equivalent of 1mg ATivan to 10 mg Valium.  He had HIS chart and used that, 1 mg Ativ to 5 mg Valium. I started with 20 mg Valium and tried very hard with the water taper.  At 5 mg Valium my taper failed, I had psychotic-like symptoms and was taken to the hospital where in the ER they gave me two injections of Ativan, probably 4 mg as the standard injection is 2 mg.  I was lucid the next day, and the doctors said I wasn't in withdrawal. OMG.  So, when I was discharged 4 days later after being held for observation, I gave up the taper and just didn't take any more, so essentially went cold turkey. They then referred me to outpatient rehab, where I was humiliated and made to pee in a cup. The counseling did help me to get through the crisis, though. I have now been suffering for 29 months, protracted withdrawal.  Who knows?  At least I am drug free, as I stopped Cymbalta 2 years ago also.  However, that doctor failed me, as the two doctors who proceeded him failed me also.  Criminal, what doctors and Big Pharma have done to us.

Your missing the point.  5 mg Valium is a LARGE amount due to the LONG half life.

This is WHY Ashton DOES not jump people to Valium until they can stabilize on a 5 MG level of V.

• 1 year later...

This is what my doctor did here in the US.  I was on 4 mg Ativan, and I showed him the Ashton Manual with the equivalent of 1mg ATivan to 10 mg Valium.  He had HIS chart and used that, 1 mg Ativ to 5 mg Valium. I started with 20 mg Valium and tried very hard with the water taper.  At 5 mg Valium my taper failed, I had psychotic-like symptoms and was taken to the hospital where in the ER they gave me two injections of Ativan, probably 4 mg as the standard injection is 2 mg.  I was lucid the next day, and the doctors said I wasn't in withdrawal. OMG.  So, when I was discharged 4 days later after being held for observation, I gave up the taper and just didn't take any more, so essentially went cold turkey. They then referred me to outpatient rehab, where I was humiliated and made to pee in a cup. The counseling did help me to get through the crisis, though. I have now been suffering for 29 months, protracted withdrawal.  Who knows?  At least I am drug free, as I stopped Cymbalta 2 years ago also.  However, that doctor failed me, as the two doctors who proceeded him failed me also.  Criminal, what doctors and Big Pharma have done to us.

When did you heal ? How is it now ?