Irreversible damage?

[Ki...]

My son has been off Ativan completely for 2.5 years. He recently did cocaine, a small amount a few times, ate some sugar and coffee a couple times and started cephalexin(a non-flouroquinlone) for a severe infection.

His symptoms are very bad.

He recently started dating a woman with a bad sexual history. and he was handling it well. Now he is obsessing 24/7.

I this going to be permanent? Did he do irreversible damage?

[e1...]

I really doubt if the coke or sugar/caffeine did any harm.  I used some sugar/caffeine throughout my withdrawal/recovery (no coke, however).

Reading back through your old posts (including one by your son), it sounds like he kindled benzos a lot prior to mid-2018.  That kindling is more likely to be a barrier to healing than the caffeine or sugar.  At times it sounds like you want a definitive up/down on your son's prognosis.  There's no way to know that.  Each kindling makes a full recovery more difficult, but not impossible.

The coke isn't a good idea right now.  I'm not being judgmental, but it introduces extremes that his body/mind just doesn't need right now.  That's kind of the idea with cutting out sugar and caffeine, but they're not nearly as extreme.

Obsessing is pretty common during withdrawal and recovery.  Staying busy doing tasks that involve simple thinking may be a good way to deal with the obsessions.  I recall spending a day sorting nuts/bolts/screws.  Playing music during the day also helped me.  It would keep at least a portion of my mind occupied.  Try to direct that obsession toward something useful/productive.

[f4...]

I’d say obsessing is normal at this point.

But like.....the cocaine probably isn’t helping. Out of all things...

TBPH, it's no worse than people starting antidepressants in benzo withdrawal.