Does memory return?

[Bi...]

Hi All,

I’m getting near the end of a two year taper of of lorazepam. Thankfully I’m starting to feel so much better. My short term memory was seriously impaired both while on benzos and while tapering. I feel like my short term memory has been improving. But as I am becoming more clear I’m also recognizing that there are serious voids in my long term memory from the years I was on drugs. My memories during the 12 years pre taper are so weak. I’m wondering if the memories are still there waiting to be unlocked.

Has memory improved for anyone else? If so what kind, long term, short term, working memory?

Thank you!

-Bibs Jo

My memory and brain function were impaired the most while I was tapering and when I was first off of benzos.  Slowly, my mind is coming back as well as memories.  I don't feel as it is back to where it could be.  I think it can take a while to regain any kind of sharpness, but I also think it depends on what you are doing with your mind.  I have started reading again, and at first, it was really hard.  I still struggle sometimes and I think I read very slow and lose focus quickly, but the more time I spend on it, the better it gets.

As far as short term memory, I still have issues with that at two years off benzos, but it is nowhere near as bad.  I used to just forget I was boiling water, which is a scary thing to do, but now I am not doing that.  I also make sure to always set the timer when I put anything on the stove, just to be safe. 

For long term memory- YES, I recently have gotten longtime ago memories back.  It's not always pleasant either.  Like I recently remembered some experiences in my childhood, some great, some not so great.  I do feel like there is a lot of fuzziness in my long term memories too.  So maybe more to revealed at a later time. 

Absolutely it returns. Sometimes it returns with a vengeance and all you can do is involuntarily revisit moments in the past constantly. Think of it like this:

The memories are still there but currently, your brain is allocating resources to more pressing matters. It will get around to fixing your memory function when it's time.