Should we show benzos as a drug allergy post jump?

[Bi...]

Hi All,

I was 12 years on benzos and now am almost to the end of a 2 year taper. I'm doing so much better and see the light at the end of the tunnel. This has been the hardest thing I have ever done.

My biggest fear is that I will be hospitalized and given benzos. This happened once to me in the ER. They just injected me with liquid ativan without asking me if it was ok. That was while I was on benzos and was at the ER due to interdose withdrawal before I ever started tapering.

Now that I am almost completely clear of this poison I don't want this to ever happen again. Does it make sense to show benzos as a drug allergy, or possibly wear a medical id bracelet that specifies this?

Thanks!

-Bibs Jo

Does it make sense to show benzos as a drug allergy, or possibly wear a medical id bracelet that specifies this?

I did both. My doc's medical assistant suggested that she enter benzos as an allergy on my chart. As well,  I purchased a medical ID bracelet that said BENZODIAZEPINE ALLERGY. You can order the bracelet from amazon or there are a bunch of suppliers on the Internet. Just Google "medical alert bracelet". I'm not sure where I ordered mine -- it was years ago -- but it seemed to me there was a lot of choice.

Best to you,

Katz

• 3 weeks later...
[ca...]

I listed mine as an allergy. I had the same fear bc i went to the hospital 9 months after withdrawal and they put Ativan in my IV. I knew immediately after. I have looked into the bracelets for if I’m on vacation or out of town since my chart won’t follow me everywhere.

Glad I came across this post bc it reminded me to get on and order one.

It’s never a bad idea to be super safe. My husband said to me “ you don’t need to put it because you can just tell them” 

I said ok, so if I’m in a car accident and unresponsive I’m sure they’ll read my mind.  He quickly changed his mind.  My doctor also agreed it was the best choice to add it to the list. 

I listed mine as an allergy. I had the same fear bc i went to the hospital 9 months after withdrawal and they put Ativan in my IV. I knew immediately after. I have looked into the bracelets for if I’m on vacation or out of town since my chart won’t follow me everywhere.

Glad I came across this post bc it reminded me to get on and order one.

It’s never a bad idea to be super safe. My husband said to me “ you don’t need to put it because you can just tell them” 

I said ok, so if I’m in a car accident and unresponsive I’m sure they’ll read my mind.  He quickly changed his mind.  My doctor also agreed it was the best choice to add it to the list. 

Better,

Did the post jump dose of Ativan at the ER affect you?

[ca...]

It extremely did. It set me so far back and intensified my experiences.

I’m very upset that I had it. At the time I didn’t know I was even in WD, but that day is how I learned. Months of searching for answers just to figure out by a dose of Ativan. I think deep down I knew I was experiencing WD but I chose to believe some doctors who told me it couldn’t be.

It set me back at least 10 months. I know not everyone would have that much of a set back, but it made me more ill than I was before. 

I’m very fortunate to have a doctor now that realized what was happening after I explained it to him.

[02...]

It extremely did. It set me so far back and intensified my experiences.

I’m very upset that I had it. At the time I didn’t know I was even in WD, but that day is how I learned. Months of searching for answers just to figure out by a dose of Ativan. I think deep down I knew I was experiencing WD but I chose to believe some doctors who told me it couldn’t be.

It set me back at least 10 months. I know not everyone would have that much of a set back, but it made me more ill than I was before. 

I’m very fortunate to have a doctor now that realized what was happening after I explained it to him.

This is right! I have never truly experienced benzo withdral before something similar happened to me. I had asymptomatic taper. Then I took benzos for two days to counter what trying an antidepressant did to me. It feels like cold-turkey. I though maybe it'll go away in a month, no. It's full-on cold-turkey. I should've just reinstated and tapered again.

I put benzos as well as opiates in my medical chart as an allergy. Went to see my cardiologist yesterday and checked my medical notes online last night and darn if he had changed all of them. He put the opiates cause nausea and benzos as light-headedness. What the hell is wrong with these people? He is not even my primary cardiologist, but is filling in while the other is on vacation. Now I have to wait until I see him to read my heart monitor and go in and erase the crap when I get back from the appointment.

Why are some doctors so eager to put medications in our system?

PG

I put benzos as well as opiates in my medical chart as an allergy. Went to see my cardiologist yesterday and checked my medical notes online last night and darn if he had changed all of them. He put the opiates cause nausea and benzos as light-headedness. What the hell is wrong with these people? He is not even my primary cardiologist, but is filling in while the other is on vacation. Now I have to wait until I see him to read my heart monitor and go in and erase the crap when I get back from the appointment.

Why are some doctors so eager to put medications in our system?

PG

This doc sounds arrogant and dangerous. Stuff like this makes me scared of doctors in general.

Just got them put as an allergy on my chart. But even my doc recognizes I' having a "protracted withdrawal"  - no its a normal with drawl but we can call it that for now - at least I'm validated that this is real.....

Good suggestion for the medical bracelet...I'm def gonna do that.