Is withdrawal really worth it? WARNING

[da...]

Hello friends,

I was on 15 -20 mgs of valium per day for about 3.5 years. I'm now on 5 mgs of valium (for four weeks) and 225mgs of Effexor.

The last four weeks were great....then 4 days ago all of the withdrawal issues came back for me:

mild Depression and occasional major spikes in anxiety

a constant feeling of something terrible going to happen... this is anxiety I know..but a very unique type of anxiety that sledom occurs like this for this length.

discouraged

poor sleep with nightmares

poor digestion

headaches sometimes / sometimes not

vision issues - blurred, itchy

sinus issues

Everything just crashed......... Is this a wave? How long will it last? OR is this an indication that I need to re-examine my daily does?

I really want to fight through this and balance out at 5mgs BUT I cant feel this way and maintain employment.....The last few days have been horrible....I'm so discouraged

Is this a wave? How long do waves last?

I never felt too bad on 10 mgs of benzo...I just hated being dependant and needing to pop something to deal with anxiety. I'm fine with the effexor. I need it for now and that's that....

BUT i'm wondering what to do.....then I read about the people that are still falling apart after being off benzo's for two years...and I almost lose hope completely..it becomes very dark without hope....

it doesnt sound worth it for many people...maybe i'm on it for life BUT that never works well does it..... what a curse. what an absolute curse.....and dont get me started on my doctor and psychiatrist who dont believe me..but believe their trillion dollar pharma company

please - any advice will be appreciated

Sorry you're not doing well. I would say yes you're in a wave. As far as how long it will last no one can say. It usually depends on several factors: how quickly you reduced your dose and by how much. Try not to panic. The wave will not last. That's why they're called waves, they come and go.

Hi connected

Withdrawal symptoms come and go in waves.  As Jwl mentioned, it depends somewhat on how rapidly you tapered and how much time between reductions.

Reductions of 10% each 10 days or so are suggested.  You could reduce less or hold longer.  This minimizes symptoms, and makes tapering manageable.  Going fast does not make the healing happen any faster.  It just makes the symptoms more difficult on the way down.

Yes, it is worth it to get benzo free.  Benzos are not a solution in the long run.  The stories you find here are worst case scenarios.  About half of people do not struggle quite so badly.  You won't find people who had an easier time here, because they do not feel the need.  Most heal rather quickly once benzos are out of their system. 

I know you feel you cannot feel like this and work.  But remember, waves do not last.  Usually  a few days, sometimes longer.  It won't be worth quitting your job over, and the distraction of work can be really helpful. 

Some people take half a benadryl to sleep.  Not every night.  It can have a bit of a hangover effect, but it does allow for sleep.  You can also try 1.5 mgs of melatonin.  Purchase a weighted blanket (10% of your body weight) and lay under it and breathe. 

The waves pass.  They always do.

To JWL And Healing64.

Thank you! Thank you so much. I suppose my concern is whether this is post acute withdrawal that will last for years or just a wave. It hit me previous Sunday at 7pm. It's the following Thursday at 6pm. Maybe I feel a little better...maybe this is a little window. Does PAWS come in waves to or is it constant? This has been 4.5 days ....my biggest issue is not what I'm feeling. It's my catastrophic thinking that says this is the 'beginning of the end' .....so I went up to success stories and it wasn't all success...it was quite scary.... I thought I was going blind again..... Maybe it's sinus issues like doctor says....so hard to tell. My nose is runny and my eyes are sore.....and I can't get comfortable in bed...... Does PAWS come in waves? Do you two believe in antidepressants? I'm certain they saved my life...I certain valium would have killed me....I dunno. Thank you both🙏♥️

Fear is one of our worst symptoms while going through this and yes fear which enables catastrophic thinking is a symptom.  My suggestion to you is to not give fear anymore power over you, it's simply a bi-product of withdrawing from this drug, it's not you and it's not real. 

As others have said, these symptoms come in waves, they rush up and crash over us then they recede, just like a real wave so wait until this one recedes.  Use what happened this time to prepare you for the next because there will be another one but your preparation is key. 

Can you tell us how long it took you to get from 10-15 mgs to 5 mgs, have you been tapering too quickly?

Danconnected:

It is most likely some sinus and allergy issues that you have going on.

Valium blocks DAO, which is used by our bodies to breakdown histamine.

benzos in general also act as an antihistamine, so when you take them away, your system will go haywire.

you may find relief in eating foods that are lower in histamine.

Yes this all sucks!

I recently had to take a medical leave from work, and I'm just beginning my process.

best of luck to you!

It's hard finding good help, as drs don't seem to understand.

I'm fortunate to have finally found someone here in Toronto to help me and a great compounding pharmacy.

I wish I had them on board from July!!

As you are still on the benzo, this cannot be post acute withdrawal or PAWS.  You are still withdrawing.  Most people do not suffer PAWS, which occurs only after the taper is complete.  Try not to project into the future.  Valium has a long half life.  Withdrawal symptoms can occur many days after a reduction.  If we knew how rapidly you have made reductions and in what doses, we could say more.  Go slow, let this settle down.  You will feel better again.

As you are still on the benzo, this cannot be post acute withdrawal or PAWS.  You are still withdrawing.  Most people do not suffer PAWS, which occurs only after the taper is complete.  Try not to project into the future.  Valium has a long half life.  Withdrawal symptoms can occur many days after a reduction.  If we knew how rapidly you have made reductions and in what doses, we could say more.  Go slow, let this settle down.  You will feel better again.

Very interesting. Fascinating. I just read about this. Thanks!  I've never had sinus issues...or at least not extreme enough, frequent enough, or long lasting enough to ever think I did. I was often plugged up in the nose but I attributed this to heavy cocaine use for about five years...I've never considered it could be sinuses...

But ever since my valium dose cutting my nose runs constantly and it has burned several times while out for a walk in September (which was odd) and I eyes burn and water and itch.....Clearly a histamine issue.

So the idea of a low histamine diet makes sense or a DAO supplement. THANK YOU. do you have more info on this? Do I have sinus issues or is this a temporary withdrawal symptom? 

Hi Pamster and Healing 64

Thank you again. The wave has let up a little. My pattern has been reckless for years. My taper started in April 2019. Within two months I had gone from 15 mgs per day to 5 mgs BUT I would occasionally have a weekend where I would bump up to 20mgs just to sleep for the day. I was also somewhat manic (Bi-Polar II with psychosis) and while manic my body and mind become very resilient until the crash so its a decieving reference...Then I crashed in September 2019 and went up to 20mgs per day until March 2020 when I went down to 10 mgs per day with the occasional 15-30 mg day and an occasional 5 mg a day...So I would think I averaged 11-14 mgs per day from April 2020 to September 2020 - you can clearly see I'm an abuser - Since late August 2020 I've been down to about 10 mg...then from September 15-30 ZERO then I boosted back in October to approximately 10mg....

As I write this I realize how screwed up my pattern has been. I have to start keep records. I am an extremist. I use alot or a little. I also cut down to 5 much too quickly...oh my..I've been so irresponsible and so rushed to fix a problem that I spent years developing....

oh my...

Fortunately I had a window today. Praise God

THANK YOU SO MUCH

I've been so irresponsible and so rushed to fix a problem that I spent years developing....

I'm glad you're taking a good look at your history, it looks like it's helping you understand your situation better, I love this, more of us need to hear and say these words in all aspects of our lives!

Dan,

Definitely don't beat yourself up.  You didn't know what you didn't know and thus, you are not to blame.  This isn't abuse.  But, in the end, once we do know, we all have to find the inner strength and willpower to take control and power through, despite the pain.  I will also ask whether you really have bipolar or is it the medications?  I do not have bipolar but when I was in acute withdrawal, I definitely felt like it.  Benzo w/d definitely tends to make people that way and many doctors are just clueless about it. 

I don't want to depress you or discourage you either but many people have to quit their jobs while going through this, including myself.  Some, on a regular dose and steady taper, can work and remain very functional.  No matter what, there is a lot of hope that things will improve. Best wishes to you.