Benzo free

[Ca...]

Hi,

I haven't posted my success story, so I thought I'd do it while home sick.

I started having anxiety and depression in my teens, but didn't take any medication until I moved away for college. Sleep was always the biggest issue at that time because kept telling myself I was a failure.

From time to time I got a prescription for Ambien, which worked pretty good. I bought pills from the dark web from time to time too, but was never a huge consumer.

Life changes had me moving far away and I got really stressed so I got prescriptions more often and bought off the dark web more often too. Eventually I wanted to taper but had to come clean to my doc that I had bought contraband as well, so he sent me to the psych ER and those people put me on a (year-long) taper. I had lots of sleep problems and initial palpitations but eventually got off the pills. The I used OTC sleep pills for a little while that turned out to contain a benzo as well, so I had to go into withdrawal an additional month.

Eventually it got better though, I sleep pretty good nowadays and only wake up early when I am under a lot of stress. What I've found worked best it to live a life that makes you feel good about yourself, avoid stress as well as bad habits (and Mirtazapine, when you're off the track). I still struggle a bit with the last one since I'm on the internet too much and would probably be better spending that time with people. Covid and lockdown doesn't help either.

Love your success over sleep medications CaptainAnxiety, it sounds like you've learned some valuable lessons and life skills to keep you happy and healthy.  :smitten:

Thanks for your update CaptainAnxiety!  What good advice, to live a life that makes you feel good about yourself.  Johann Hari wrote a book about the natural causes of depression, and this exactly is a major cause for so many people.  As if you can drug away a job you hate or a bad relationship.  I'm so glad to hear how well you are doing.  :smitten: :smitten:

Congrats CaptainAnxiety!!

Were those OTC sleep aids U-Dream??

They were sold in Canada, my naturopath told me some of her patients were on them.

I'm Canadian (Toronto) and just at the start of my journey....which pysch ER did you go to CAMH?

I'm so happy that you got off everything and sound great, despite being currently sick.

Take care,

WinnieDog

Congrats CaptainAnxiety!!

Were those OTC sleep aids U-Dream??

They were sold in Canada, my naturopath told me some of her patients were on them.

I'm Canadian (Toronto) and just at the start of my journey....which pysch ER did you go to CAMH?

I'm so happy that you got off everything and sound great, despite being currently sick.

Take care,

WinnieDog

Yep, U-dream!

Yep, CAMH ER, then to another hospital for treatment/tapering.

Thanks for your update CaptainAnxiety!  What good advice, to live a life that makes you feel good about yourself.  Johann Hari wrote a book about the natural causes of depression, and this exactly is a major cause for so many people.  As if you can drug away a job you hate or a bad relationship.  I'm so glad to hear how well you are doing.  :smitten: :smitten:

Thanks!

Exactly, if you dislike something in your life, try to change it. I did some ACT therapy and the therapist said to not "live a fighting lifestyle". I think that's a good motto that covers a lot of ground.

Congrats....what country do you live in where you're able to get OTC sleep aides that contain Benzos?

Canada, but they're pulled form the market because of that. They were a bit too good!

Love your success over sleep medications CaptainAnxiety, it sounds like you've learned some valuable lessons and life skills to keep you happy and healthy.  :smitten:

I'm still learning! Currently I'm dead anxious about dying in Covid although the probability is miniscule. I still can get very anxious in certain situations and I don't have a super effective weapon to combat that. I'm not sure one exists.

Thanks

I'm currently at Women's College Hospital who are helping me taper, but honestly, they don't seem to know very much about this.

I get to see the psychiatrist in a month, maybe she will have more ideas.

I'm so happy that you made it off these pills!

Feel better soon!

Thanks

I'm currently at Women's College Hospital who are helping me taper, but honestly, they don't seem to know very much about this.

I get to see the psychiatrist in a month, maybe she will have more ideas.

I'm so happy that you made it off these pills!

Feel better soon!

I went to Womens College Hospital too! As an outpatient.. They actually increased my current dosage before starting the taper. Those were comfy initial two weeks, lol.

I had to go to the pharmacy in the morning to get my dose the first month I think, then they let me have pills at home.

The interrupted sleep was the worst part, got slightly worse to deal with on mid doses but I didn't really experience any extra discomfort when switching down steps. Its hard to tell whether it was because of withdrawal or rebound anxiety though.

You can do it!

Wow, small world!!!

I'm doing my best, but my issue was I came down way too fast on Ativan at the end of July and didn't figure out what was wrong until the end of Sept.

I added back in a small dose, but it hasn't helped with the horrendous physical symptoms (headaches 24/7, serious pain all the time)

So I ended up on WCH doorstep for their outpatient program like this!

They wanted me to increase even more and switch to Clonazepam, but I'm reluctant as I'm not sure it will help me, as I'll eventually have to come down off that dose and feel the symptoms again!

I convinced the dr to let me try a daily liquid micro taper (she'd never heard of that). Hope that works.

Glad that you were able to come down off the drugs without much physical symptoms

I'm sorry you have to fight off covid - I'm desperately trying to avoid it - did you get it here in Toronto - it certainly is rampant here!!

Wow, small world!!!

I'm doing my best, but my issue was I came down way too fast on Ativan at the end of July and didn't figure out what was wrong until the end of Sept.

I added back in a small dose, but it hasn't helped with the horrendous physical symptoms (headaches 24/7, serious pain all the time)

So I ended up on WCH doorstep for their outpatient program like this!

They wanted me to increase even more and switch to Clonazepam, but I'm reluctant as I'm not sure it will help me, as I'll eventually have to come down off that dose and feel the symptoms again!

I convinced the dr to let me try a daily liquid micro taper (she'd never heard of that). Hope that works.

Glad that you were able to come down off the drugs without much physical symptoms

I'm sorry you have to fight off covid - I'm desperately trying to avoid it - did you get it here in Toronto - it certainly is rampant here!!

I did the clonazepam taper too. To me, the initial increase made it easier I think. I was using bootleg Xanax before being admitted. If the micro taper works good for you, that's great! I'm no doctor so I'm not sure how different people respond to different methods. My dosage was lowered every two weeks I believe, unless I felt like crap.

"Don't live a fighting lifestyle" ! :) So I'm not trying to fight it too much, just letting it run its course while I make it as easy as possible, but I've found some good Covid support groups so my anxiety decreased a little bit. I probably caught in Toronto.