melatonin , is it safe for us?

[lo...]

I am now 60 days post withdrawal. Only help I use is Benadryl or Unisom sometimes. Are these OTC drugs safe for us?

I used to take melatonin and it really worked. But I read somewhere that MELATONIN is not good for us...it interacts with GABA somehow. IS this really true? I mean, how can f*** everything mess up our GABA receptors.

I would think good night of sleep is more beneficial then damage done with melatonin.

Thanks you all as always

Melatonin is a hormone and is sold OTC in the US.  In other countries it requires a prescription.

It is relatively safe and will not affect GABA as a Benzo does...however some people take too much.  Your body produces mcg amounts each night, about 0.3mg, not 3, 5 or 10 mg amounts that are common in OTC supplements, but there is a good argument to be made that higher doses are needed for an ample amount to cross the blood-brain barrier and actually work?

Melatonin is a hormone that your brain produces in response to darkness. It helps with the timing of your circadian rhythms (24-hour internal clock) and with sleep. Being exposed to light at night can block melatonin production.

Research suggests that melatonin plays other important roles in the body beyond sleep. However, these effects are not fully understood.

• 2 weeks later...

Melatonin has helped me so far.

Along with Gaba Supplement...I have at least been able to relax enough to sleep

Interesting what you say about taking gaba... have you ever tried it while you were taking benzo or while tapering? I tried a few months ago (still tapering) and it made me feel more anxious, but I'm wondering if, after I'm off for a while, it will switch to helping me like it does most people who are deficient.

I am now 60 days post withdrawal. Only help I use is Benadryl or Unisom sometimes. Are these OTC drugs safe for us?

I used to take melatonin and it really worked. But I read somewhere that MELATONIN is not good for us...it interacts with GABA somehow. IS this really true? I mean, how can f*** everything mess up our GABA receptors.

I would think good night of sleep is more beneficial then damage done with melatonin.

Thanks you all as always

I take melatonin all the time. I can start it and stop it with no issues at all. From what I understand it has nothing to do with gaba.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

What is a Gaba supplement? Where do you buy it?

Here's info from The Cleveland Clinic about melatonin:

Research has found that taking melatonin in low doses is the most effective way to promote sleep if you are experiencing restlessness or insomnia. Recommended doses of melatonin are from 0.5 mg up to 3 mg, which are adequate to promote sleep or treat jet lag.

I took melatonin back on year 2 of my taper. I took 1 mg. It helped. But then it stopped helping. I switched to something else. In those days I was trying out many things.

It's safe . . . it just might not help everyone, as with most things.

Katz

• 4 weeks later...

I take melatonin and have for years.  I don’t feel that it has quit working.  I had a doc I was seeing for Lyme disease who believed in melatonin for other reasons than sleep.  He believed there were other health benefits which I now forget.... ha ha darn benzos.

Anyway I take quite a large dose and some times when I was traveling and forgot it I didn’t have a really bad nights sleep ( not compared to now).  That was pre-benzo withdrawal. I feel that it’s like anything else that we may have to resort to to get some sleep. Maybe I will develop a tolerance and my body might quit making as much but to me that’s not different than taking an Rx for sleep that we will have to do some sort of taper from eventually  I feel a bit better that it is something our bodies make naturally.  I also take theanine. I go through phases.  Some weeks I will average 5-6 hrs. Other times 2-4. Always with numerous wake ups.

I have also tried doxepin, gabapentin and unisom.  The first two gave me side effects the day after that I couldn’t tolerate and unisom kept me awake the whole night!

My chronic back pain is what usually wakes me up. I think the benzo withdrawal is what keeps me from getting to sleep . When both factors are revved up that is when I get next to no sleep.

So I guess, as always, each person has individual experiences with what may work for them. It’s nice to hear some different suggestions on here.

[c6...]

Hello!

What is a Gaba supplement? Where do you buy it?

You can buy Gaba at a health food store. I would try Theanine and Lavender before I would try Gaba.