Extreme , unrelenting tinnitus. Does it ever fade or leave?

[ch...]

I am almost a year off  4mgs of diazepam now following long taper from a 4 month use ,

I have unrelenting,  tinnitus that gets worse as time passes.

I am deaf as well and so sound is not an option to distract.

I had very mild tinnitus before the withdrawal but now it's dominating everything.

Has anyone had really severe tinnitus that did eventually leave?

This is not something that comes and goes and I am so concerned as it is not something you can function.

Any positive reassurance that it can improve would be most welcome

Jen

Heya Jen,

It must be about 3 months since I replied to one of your posts. How are you doing? I mean, apart from the tinnitus. I remember you having a really difficult time, you're doing great to just keep pushing through it.

Tinnitus is a tough one to deal with. Mine has been persistent for about 6 years now but during that time, medication has always been a factor. Also, lack of sleep, also because of the medications. If my sleep is poor and my stress is up, my tinnitus rages. It's not something that gets to me but I'd rather it wasn't there, if you know what I mean. Mine has faded somewhat at times, it was really quiet earlier today. It's better now than when I was withdrawing. I'm only 4 months off the benzo so I'm not writing off a recovery that includes tinnitus disappearing. I've heard that it clears up for some people and others just grow to get used to it.

I think there's some hope for you then that it will go. I hope you are able to cope with it in the meantime. I think that all you can do is try to get used to living with it and paying it no mind, because that can help the intensity a little. It's pretty cruel but getting upset and anxious over the tinnitus is bound to make it worse.

Heya Jen,

It must be about 3 months since I replied to one of your posts. How are you doing? I mean, apart from the tinnitus. I remember you having a really difficult time, you're doing great to just keep pushing through it.

Tinnitus is a tough one to deal with. Mine has been persistent for about 6 years now but during that time, medication has always been a factor. Also, lack of sleep, also because of the medications. If my sleep is poor and my stress is up, my tinnitus rages. It's not something that gets to me but I'd rather it wasn't there, if you know what I mean. Mine has faded somewhat at times, it was really quiet earlier today. It's better now than when I was withdrawing. I'm only 4 months off the benzo so I'm not writing off a recovery that includes tinnitus disappearing. I've heard that it clears up for some people and others just grow to get used to it.

I think there's some hope for you then that it will go. I hope you are able to cope with it in the meantime. I think that all you can do is try to get used to living with it and paying it no mind, because that can help the intensity a little. It's pretty cruel but getting upset and anxious over the tinnitus is bound to make it worse.

Thank you so much for replying, 

I had noticed that when I get less sleep, which is often, the tinnitus is even stronger, and so tiredness is probably involved, as well as stress, but who would not be stressed  going through this in their mid 70's.

I am trying to stay focused and eat as well as I can, not take other drugs etc.

However being deaf has added an extra dimension to the whole thing and prevents distraction by other sounds

I am hoping this will at least fade, even if it doesn't go completely, but reduce to a level where it is not a dominant factor.

Well done for getting free of the benzo. It's a good sign that you are already having quieter days.

Jen

Hi Jen! I’m so sorry to hear you are still suffering. I still have tinnitus at 11 months benzo free. Like diaz-e-Bam, mine is more prevalent when I’m lacking in sleep or stressed. It’s also loud when I first wake up in the morning. Most days it’s very tolerable. I sure hope you get some relief soon. I think of you often and you are always in my prayers.

Sandy❤️🙏

Hi Jen! I’m so sorry to hear you are still suffering. I still have tinnitus at 11 months benzo free. Like diaz-e-Bam, mine is more prevalent when I’m lacking in sleep or stressed. It’s also loud when I first wake up in the morning. Most days it’s very tolerable. I sure hope you get some relief soon. I think of you often and you are always in my prayers.

Sandy❤️🙏

Thank you so much Sandy.. I am always grateful for your caring messages.

I am glad your tinnitus is not so severe, but suspect mine is worse as I have ear problems anyway after losing my  hearing in my 30 's . No cause was ever found, even with surgery, and scans

It might well account for the severity and I just hope that it will eventually ease down to a level I can cope with.

I agree that tiredness can add to it, but perhaps in my case the condition I have is making it worse than it would be for others.

As long as it does eventually ease.

No sign of it yet sad to say

Jen 

Hi Jen,

I'm so sorry for this tough journey you are still walking through!

I know you don't have immediate reaction to food. Giving you are doing everything good possible to help your body to heal, maybe you can try to eliminate some of the food items that are high in gluten or glutamate see if it helps. Even if it doesn't, it won't hurt!

V

Hi Jen,

Tonight I said a lovingkindness meditation for you and prayed for your tinnitus to go away soon. I’m so proud of you for doing this in your mid 70s while caring for your son. You inspire me.

Have you tried any form of exercise? It reduces glutamate.

Ann

Hi Jen,

I'm so sorry for this tough journey you are still walking through!

I know you don't have immediate reaction to food. Giving you are doing everything good possible to help your body to heal, maybe you can try to eliminate some of the food items that are high in gluten or glutamate see if it helps. Even if it doesn't, it won't hurt!

V

Thank you for the food suggestion. 

I think  it almost impossible to not eat food high in glutamate,  especially if not in charge of the meals, except lunch, when I make a salad,  but I will do what I can to reduce glutamate where I can

Thank you so much for caring

Jen

Hi Jen,

Tonight I said a lovingkindness meditation for you and prayed for your tinnitus to go away soon. I’m so proud of you for doing this in your mid 70s while caring for your son. You inspire me.

Have you tried any form of exercise? It reduces glutamate.

Ann

What a kind thought. I am grateful for any help.

You asked about exercise..

Yes I do a lot of  walking, and before now have been walking several miles but the last few days I am not feeling I can do as much as my symptoms are increasing over time. Today I only managed 1.4 miles, but better than none, and  I don't want to regress back into never crossing my front door. 

It all seems so crazy and topsy turvy.

I have had no windows  just a steady decline, or so it feels.

I was hoping for something better after almost 12 months.

It's really beginning to worry me a lot now

Jen 

Hi Jen,

Sorry you are still suffering. Hopefully the anxiety has at least eased up slightly?

When you say you are deaf, is it 100%? I only ask because maybe an earphone playing music at high volume might be enough to drown it out slightly?

I'm sure it will pass, just so frustrating that I can't help

Hi Jen,

Sorry you are still suffering. Hopefully the anxiety has at least eased up slightly?

When you say you are deaf, is it 100%? I only ask because maybe an earphone playing music at high volume might be enough to drown it out slightly?

I'm sure it will pass, just so frustrating that I can't help

Thank you for trying, 

I am near enough 90% deaf  but have managed with a very powerful hearing aid until this happened,

I guess I just have to try and keep going and hope that at some point it eases a little,

Even severe tinnitus surely fades down over time, even if some is left.

I still have terrible terror and that seems to refuse to budge whatever I do

Maybe because of my age everything takes longer

I know others my age can get off this drug with ease but it seems not to be the case for me and I worry about being this way for whatever time is left to me, which is sad as  diazepam did nothing but make me ill, and by the time I realised that I was already in a mess and had to taper so slowly which kept me on the drug  too long and so here I am

Thank you so much for thinking of me though

Jen

Hi,  I am about 2 years off Benzo's and Anti-Depressants.....and prior to being on "the poisons"  I had extremely good hearing.....since going off the "poisons",  I have Tinnitus......it does seem worse when I don't sleep and that is quite often, still trying to deal with the insomnia as well.    It seems that my tinnitus is not getting any better. 

Hi,  I am about 2 years off Benzo's and Anti-Depressants.....and prior to being on "the poisons"  I had extremely good hearing.....since going off the "poisons",  I have Tinnitus......it does seem worse when I don't sleep and that is quite often, still trying to deal with the insomnia as well.    It seems that my tinnitus is not getting any better.

Thank you for answering,

I am so sorry you have tinnitus still and yes tiredness does add to it,

May I ask how you are otherwise. I see you have insomnia, 

Sleep is not good for me either, Very disrupted, but I have many symptoms still

I feel as if I am losing ground at almost 12 months off and hope that at some point I start to pick up.

Lets hope recovery is not too far away

Jen

I can handle ear ringing

Compared to everything else it’s a piece of cake

What drives me up the wall is the pounding in my ears. The pulsatile tinnitus that shakes me.

It used to be 24/7

Now sometimes it’s quieter or disappears for awhile.

The ringing has never really stopped but compared to the pounding it’s not bad

I can handle ear ringing

Compared to everything else it’s a piece of cake

What drives me up the wall is the pounding in my ears. The pulsatile tinnitus that shakes me.

It used to be 24/7

Now sometimes it’s quieter or disappears for awhile.

The ringing has never really stopped but compared to the pounding it’s not bad

I agree the pounding is far worse but this doesn't seem connected with my pulse, Just rumbling thuds, all the time , The hissing I can take,

I am so tired of all of this mess now

It's been nearly 3 years since the Doctor's started messing with my brain with an AD that was CT'd , the pregabalin for a week then this , the worst of all the diazepam..

I am so worn out at nearly 12 months off.  How to keep going I have no idea

How can 4mgs or less for 4 months before a long taper do so much damage and make you even worse at 12 months off than when first off?

I am assured there is a recovery but  I don't know when I am 75, I truly hope there is .

This is really no way to live, getting worse and worse as time passes

Thankyou for thinking of me ,

Jen

Sorry you are still suffering Jen, can you make plans to see other people over Christmas at all as restrictions being lifted. Think you said you go out for walks have you any friends you could go out with as distraction. Everybody does seem eventually heal I'm 22 months off zop still not there so don't give up. . I do think these restrictions with the constant lockdowns have affected both our recoveries so it's taking longer maybe than in normal times, so don't despair.

Sorry you are still suffering Jen, can you make plans to see other people over Christmas at all as restrictions being lifted. Think you said you go out for walks have you any friends you could go out with as distraction. Everybody does seem eventually heal I'm 22 months off zop still not there so don't give up. . I do think these restrictions with the constant lockdowns have affected both our recoveries so it's taking longer maybe than in normal times, so don't despair.

I  am trying not to Leann but things just keep getting worse as time goes on.

I am not going out there, not at 75, and so run down,

I am worse now than at 2 weeks off.

Just because they are allowing a small group to mix for Christmas does not mean the virus honours  Christmas and it will flare up yet again as a result.

I wish I had never taken any tablets off the Doctor, but I did and here I am still suffering, worse than ever  and praying hard that I will  turn a corner.

I do hope we both do very soon,

Jen

I just made a post about tVNS therapy. My interest is with tinnitus. It is my major affliction. Using a tens unit with an ear clip to the left ear has been studied to give relief to tinnitus sufferers using electrical stimulation to the vagus nerve. It also has therapeutic use for anxiety and depression. Has anyone tried this?