ADRENAL PROBLEMS AND BENZOS

[ho...]

Hey everyone! New here so hope to have posted in the correct topic area.

I have been taking Diazepam since my mother sadly passed away in 2017.

Nausea amongst extreme fatigued began in 2018.

I stupidly did not connect the dots until it was to late.

I have been hospitalised by ambulance with nausea (EXTREME uncontrollable vomiting episodes, panic attacks) and during my stays, doctors discovered my adrenal glands to not be producing enough cortisol.

I have been told via another online support group that one lady could relate, and after 8 months clean from benzo's recovered from adrenal insufficiency! This gives me hope.

Can anyone else relate to adrenal issues?

The fatigue today is like no other, and only a benzo user will understand, it leaves your feeling lifeless and sedated. Yet lying down, makes you anxious to get up and be doing things you need to be doing!

Many thanks

AJ

• 1 month later...

Hi howtocope,

So sorry to hear of your loss and your adrenal issues.

Between undiagnosed health issues and high stress levels, I developed severe adrenal fatigue.  I was prescribed benzos while we were trying to figure all this out but,  the stress from benzo tolerance, withdrawal and tapering didn't help the adrenal fatigue for sure.  Had many symptoms;  weight loss, no energy, insomnia, couldn't eat much, bad anxiety/panic, shortness of breath and eventually was bedridden for awhile.

With a lot of help from good functional doctors, counselors, Benzo Buddies and my family, I was slowly able to taper off benzos, get several diagnoses and start recovering.  My adrenals had crashed from everything and it took a lot of time, rest, de-stressing (not easy), nutrition, cautious supplementing and support but, I was able to get much better.  Please do have hope that it is possible to recover from all this!  Here is the name of a book that helped me so much as well:

--Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome.  Reclaim Your Energy and Vitality with Clinically Proven Natural Programs.  Michael Lam, M.D., M.P.H.

Take good care  :)

• 4 weeks later...

I’m thinking this is my problem too exacerbated by too much extreme working out during wd. I feel nauseous and have sick fatigue in the mornings, and I often feel “wired but tired.” I’m pretty convinced that this is what’s happening to me. I’ve started to take steps to correct it - no more heavy workouts, qigong/yoga. Now I’m planning to see someone to run the cortisol tests.

Please chime in because I think this is an important topic!

• 1 month later...
I had the cortisol test ( they test for many other things too).  Surprisingly my cortisol wasn't as much the issue as my neurotransmitters.  I have an amazing team at my functional med drs office.  They've recommended supplements, gluten free/low histamine/candida free diet, Dynamic Neural Retraining System and a Spoonk Mat.  They support meditation and exercise.  I check in with the nutritionist, health coach and dr. as often as  iwant via patient portal.  They're support is helping me so much. 
  • Love 1

Yes!  This was the case with me as well.  Nadeau and then my first panic attack.  I was put on benzos and then found out I have Hashimoto’s disease.  Lately I have been very weak, but don’t want to medicate until I’m done the taper.  I am just under .25 Xanax.

Eat clean, rest and keep your blood sugar levels balanced.  I hope you feel better..

• 2 weeks later...

My fatigue is just getting worse and worse.

I hope everyday and beg to the clouds in the sky I brought it on myself with benzo's and it will correct itself in time...

The problem is I have now had 3 Short Synth tests and all have given a different reading!

They want me back in ASAP, and I don't see any point until I am benzo free?

???

If it was addison's disease my pituitary gland wouldn't be working 3X the norm to wake the adrenals right?

xxxx

But if u truly have addinsons they will give u cortisone which will help ur fatigue. Also addinsons is very dangerous as ur body doesn’t produce enuf cortisol in stressful situations (illness, trauma, grief) and u can actually die from it.

Would Benzos be causing it? Probably but I’d err on the side of caution if I were u.

Yup they gave me the hydrocortisone for 5 months, I felt no less tired and very very unwell, I was hospitalised 6 times whilst taking them, and docs were scratching their heads.

It was the final consultant who saw me who said "nope this is not Addisons" its something else.

Silly me had my benzo's stashed in my purse. They weren't aware I was taking 10mg tablets...

I was foolish, and in denial my only vice to sleep was causing me to be so poorly. I just hope I haven't done myself any long term damage. Another girl from work is going through the same after using the same darn pills, and she won't except it's making her ill. She has stopped taking my calls now, and I just hope she sees the light.  :'( x

• 7 months later...

I have low cortisol (way lower than normal for my age group, as per my endocrinologist). She had me make several tests (random morning cortisol levels, the ACTH stim test, MRI of the pituitary gland...).

The tests confirmed that the adrenal insufficiency is not primary (as per the ACTH stim test), it's not secondary either because my pituitary gland is fine. Therefore the doctor concluded the most probable cause of my low cortisol is my benzos use, she sees no other explanation.

She told there is a chance my cortisol levels will go back to normal once I'm off benzos, but not guaranteed.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 months later...

UPDATE FOR ANYONE WHO HAS THIS ISSUE AND VISITS THE SITE : 27/01/22

Once off the Benzo's I returned two months later for a short s test. Oh my goodness my body went into overdrive, my adrenaline pumping and nausea. The nurse nodded his head and said 'you're back'.

I will never be able to prove it was the benzo's and no doubt no doctor in the country will be adding it to the 'side effects' on the box, but be aware if this is happening to you, then this may be the route cause.

Incredibly my cortisol levels went from dangerously low to exceptional after coming off the Diazepam.

Take care everyone!

• Like 1

May 2021 per the signature.

Thanks so much for letting us know.

I got into an argument a few weeks ago with someone and the adrenaline rush was extreme! My heart pounded hard and fast for an hour it was like the flood gates just opened but usually I’m a pretty calm cucumber it was very strange. It was like it was before all this it was like a tidal wave.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE FOR ANYONE WHO HAS THIS ISSUE AND VISITS THE SITE : 27/01/22

Once off the Benzo's I returned two months later for a short s test. Oh my goodness my body went into overdrive, my adrenaline pumping and nausea. The nurse nodded his head and said 'you're back'.

I will never be able to prove it was the benzo's and no doubt no doctor in the country will be adding it to the 'side effects' on the box, but be aware if this is happening to you, then this may be the route cause.

Incredibly my cortisol levels went from dangerously low to exceptional after coming off the Diazepam.

Take care everyone!

Hi thank you for sharing. Did it take until your post last month for adrenals to be better or was it in May last year when you jumped? How are you doing now symptom wise?

• 2 months later...
Same here. I have been diagnosed with adrenal fatigue and have all the symptoms. I wonder how much of my WD is related to adrenal fatigue at this stage (4 years). Unfortunately, the functional medicine doctor was not very helpful.

• 10 months later...

Is there anything that might help with adrenal fatigue? I am on a licence and almost losing my job I guess.

Is hydrocortisone worth and helps with the sensory overload and the sensitivity to stress?

• 5 months later...

Hi @[he...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I hope some of the members in this thread will see your question and give an update. You could also use the 'search' function to see if you get more results on the topic.

Like thyroid and hormonal tests my adrenals were always deemed "normal".  I did a a few saliva cortisol tests and all were of normal values. Along with thyroid and hormonal imbalances my body screams adrenal problems. But as long as the tests are normal doctors won't further entertain it. I've been in treatment for Lyme Disease for 4.5 yrs, on my 2nd lyme physician and they cannot even figure me out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/11/2021 at 13:35, [[g...] said:

I have low cortisol (way lower than normal for my age group, as per my endocrinologist). She had me make several tests (random morning cortisol levels, the ACTH stim test, MRI of the pituitary gland...).

The tests confirmed that the adrenal insufficiency is not primary (as per the ACTH stim test), it's not secondary either because my pituitary gland is fine. Therefore the doctor concluded the most probable cause of my low cortisol is my benzos use, she sees no other explanation.

She told there is a chance my cortisol levels will go back to normal once I'm off benzos, but not guaranteed.

How are you now?