Esophageal spasms anyone?

[Fp...]

I have concluded that most of my chest pains and "palpitations" may actually be from esophageal spasms. I have been diagnosed with a hiatal hernia and GERD. Is it possible that withdrawal and nerve sensitivity, due to withdrawal, could be increasing these symptoms?

Has anyone experienced esophageal spasms as a result of benzo withdrawal?

FYI - for the longest time I thought the spasms were heart palpitations, but multiple heart tests have not identified any of the feelings as palpitations.

Just wondering if anyone has esophageal spasms and how are they treated or relieved.

Thanks!

Fp

Yes totally possible. Many ppl have GI issues in benzo recovery even if they never had them before. I've noticed that any pre-existing condition os often exacerbated in this process.

Like all symptoms is will wax and wane and should eventually pass.

Yes I have these. I had a hiatal hernia but had surgery to correct it 7 years ago. I've had no issues since I jumped from benzos.

I thought I was having a heart attack but I had all the cardiac tests and they tell me I'm fine.

yes! I am one of them....I also have gastritis and a hiatal hernia, I get them all the time

Blossom

Blossom,

Thank you. Do you have chest pain that accompanies the spasms? I have daily chest pain as well as the spasms. If it was only the occasional spasm it wouldn't be so bad, but I have constant pressure in my chest. Not sure if it's related to the HH or benzos.

Thanks again,

Fp

Yes I have these. I had a hiatal hernia but had surgery to correct it 7 years ago. I've had no issues since I jumped from benzos.

I thought I was having a heart attack but I had all the cardiac tests and they tell me I'm fine.

Hey Krock,

Thank you. Did the surgery relieve any of the chest pain or spasms or do you still have them? Do you currently have chest pain related to your hernia or is it related to benzo withdrawal.

Thanks again,

Fp

yes! I am one of them....I also have gastritis and a hiatal hernia, I get them all the time

Blossom

Blossom,

Thank you. Do you have chest pain that accompanies the spasms? I have daily chest pain as well as the spasms. If it was only the occasional spasm it wouldn't be so bad, but I have constant pressure in my chest. Not sure if it's related to the HH or benzos.

Thanks again,

Fp

Hi Fp!, I am glad my response helped.

I don't have any chest pain, but to be honest If I had it wouldn't surprise me.

If I was you I would get it checked (maybe cardiologist?) just to make sure is nothing else, but yes, the spasms happen a lot...sometimes I will also feel my throat sort of "closed" when I'm eating, like the esophagus is in constant spasm, it's weird, sometimes i will feel it pulsating and some other times like I told you.

glad I could help

Blossom

I was in exact boat as you! I was diagnosed with GERD and hiatal hernia (prior to benzos and it was incidental finding since I had no symptoms at all). And when I was going through WD, I had these intense spasms happening in my chest accompanied by burning feeling and eventually a really bad heartburn. I was on different heartburn meds, including PPIs and nothing helped! It just went away on its own one day. Sometimes it still makes a come back, but not as intense when I was early in WD. Sorry you’re dealing with this, but I hope it passes for you soon, just patience! It did seem to get better for me when I started drinking licorice tea 1-2 times a day, so maybe give that a shot. But be careful since that tea is not recommended for people with high blood pressure I believe. But I did quite well with it, so maybe it’s something you can try!