Fear going out but not agrophobia desperate for advice

[le...]

I have severe anxiety as result withdrawal which has resulted in me thinking may have hurt people passing them in the street. Not really agrophobia or OCD. As I am fine going to friends or going out if I travel in the car or going to restaurant when they were open it's just physically walking past people. Do try go out out but really panic, therapist said should do it every day but that made me nervous wreck. Should I try push myself more, or just go out when feeling able to cope. Can't go very far wondering if should try walk bit further, don't know what is right thing to do anymore, feel I'm never go be normal again.

• 3 months later...
I had severe agoraphobia and all types of other phobias and thoughts that kept me from going out.  I don’t have it all anymore but what got me over it was making myself go out over and over again. At first I HAD to have my husband with me, but with time, things just got better and better.  Even though you don’t feel you have a full blown agoraphobia the treatment is the same.  You must practice and re-train your brain by forcing yourself to go out. There are good videos on this on YouTube.  Look them up and they will tell you the same thing and give you encouragement.

Should I try push myself more, or just go out when feeling able to cope. Can't go very far wondering if should try walk bit further,

imo push yourself. I certainly agree with Cberg. You just have to get a grip on yourself and MAKE yourself do the thing that is difficult. Bit by bit. I did it, and I'm no one special. It's not rocket science. You just do it and things do get better. At least they did for me. And if you need help, there's always your therapist, right? This seems to me to be something that CBT can help you with.

Those youtube videos sound very promising: retraining your brain. Maybe check them out?

Katz

• 5 weeks later...

I think some people get this symptom more strongly than others. I’m still suffering, but I was

Suffering agoraphobia shortly before benzos. For me I’m gently pushing myself now. But in the first year off,

I COULD NOT. My nervous system was haywire then. I remember how hard I was on myself, why couldn’t I just get over it? Now I look back, I was not ready, my poor body and brain was so hypersensitive to everything around me I was just torturing myself over and over.

I kept reminding myself of how I was before I went on benzos and the agoraphobia was different. I was also terrified of being alone, which I never had been before and I had also heart palpitations and twitching all over and weird phobias I never had before benzos.

Sometimes I just need to destress for a bit, then try venturing out when I’m ready.

How were you before you went on benzos?

It's not agrophobic at all. Just have this fear may have hurt people when I was out. If went out with no one around wouldn't be problem. Was fine before benzos it's withdrawal that caused it.