Any experience with returning to work?

[Fr...]

Hi all,

It's been a little while, but I wanted to check in. I'm now 8 months off a CT, having only taken one rescue dose about 6 weeks ago. I'm starting a new job next week out of necessity (I'm afraid if I take too much time off right now it will be impossible to re-enter the workforce), and the anxiety around starting something new is terrible. I'm afraid I'm not ready, that I'm going to fail or they'll know something is wrong, and that I'll end up getting fired and being unemployed and alone for the rest of my life. Does anyone have any experience returning to work at this point in the journey? How'd it go?

Thanks and wishing everyone the best!

Celtic

I have to find a job.  I am 2 weeks benzo free.  I am 65.  I have been off for almost 2 years because a very serious workplace accident caused me to be on workers compensation this entire time.  The are going to cut me off very soon.  While I was on compensation, my employer closed its doors and everyone was laid off.  I would like to retire, but I have no income and live alone.  I had to move to a town where I know nobody, because this is where supports are and more jobs here.  I lived 3 hours away in a rural community before. 

I guess what I want to say is just keep rolling forward.  You have been benzo free 8 months.  You found a job.  It's never impossible to re-enter the workforce (well, maybe if you are very very old?).    I think you will be fine.

Congrats on being benzo free and finding work in these difficult times. 

Thanks for the support Healing, and I'm sorry your journey is tough as well. I also moved for this job, as it's hard to find a good gig these days. I think the anxiety around being in a new place where I don't know people is definitely adding to it, don't know if this is impacting you as well.

It's never too late for you either. I remember how I felt after two weeks, hang in there.

Thanks, Celtic.  I feel really good at the moment.  I tapered down to an impossibly low dose, and went through acute in the last 2 months of my taper.  The dose was so low it was essentially a non dose.  I had one wave that lasted a few hours about a week ago. 

I've been here 1.5 years now.  I still don't know anyone because covid made that impossible.  But, I am an introvert so it's ok lol.

Hi all,

It's been a little while, but I wanted to check in. I'm now 8 months off a CT, having only taken one rescue dose about 6 weeks ago. I'm starting a new job next week out of necessity (I'm afraid if I take too much time off right now it will be impossible to re-enter the workforce), and the anxiety around starting something new is terrible. I'm afraid I'm not ready, that I'm going to fail or they'll know something is wrong, and that I'll end up getting fired and being unemployed and alone for the rest of my life. Does anyone have any experience returning to work at this point in the journey? How'd it go?

Thanks and wishing everyone the best!

I can really hear the benzo fear talking here, you've mapped out the perfect failure scenario and believe me I get it.  But what you need to realize is that you're going to do great, you've already taken such huge steps and succeeded at them.  You moved for this job, that's quite an accomplishment and at the end of your successful first day, you're going to know you accomplished another huge feat. 

I returned to my job three weeks after my cold turkey and had a lot of fear but I soon found out how good it felt to have the distraction it provided, I'm sure you're going to do great and can't wait to hear about it.  :thumbsup:

I started going to the office a month ago, having been home for 12 months. I started working from home 8 months ago but physically going into the office a month ago was scary. I’m starting slow, did 1 day a week in the office for 3 weeks and now doing 2 days a week in the office. It’s going well so far, when I get home I’m so tired and get into bed earlier than I used to. Initially being in the office revved me up but it’s getting better and I feel I’m getting stronger as a result....

Hi Trying,

Totally relate. I sat through a fall day of Zoom calls yesterday and just knowing I'm working again and being in that setting caused me anxiety and some serious head pressure and discomfort for the first few hours of it. And never have been more exhausted than afterward. Hopefully each day gets better as I get stronger, you're right!

I’m starting with 3 days a week in the office this week. I’ve been doing okay thus far. When I get home I rest a lot... Half of the time in the office I’m idle. I also avoid attending physical meetings and just blame it on covid for now which helps. Dialing into meetings is better, less taxing for now. I feel I’m building strength but I’m being very careful about how much I take on in the office...

Hi all,

Just wanted to check in again. First couple of days was definitely tough, anxiety and not being used to having to be so focused and present for extended periods of time was definitely daunting and taxing to say the least. Going a bit better though. Just trying to settle into a routine and be as productive as possible. Trying2behopeful, can definitely relate to using Covid to avoid the office, I'm really worried about having a wave while at work and am thankful I have the ability to just stay home and work from here.

Symptoms and anxiety still come and go. I still have a horrible pressure in my head and horrible anxiety surrounding work and my new life. Just trying to maintain perspective I guess and push through it. I keep waiting on the day I turn the corner and can finally enjoy all of the hard work I've put in to get healthy.

Hi all,

Just wanted to check in again. First couple of days was definitely tough, anxiety and not being used to having to be so focused and present for extended periods of time was definitely daunting and taxing to say the least. Going a bit better though. Just trying to settle into a routine and be as productive as possible. Trying2behopeful, can definitely relate to using Covid to avoid the office, I'm really worried about having a wave while at work and am thankful I have the ability to just stay home and work from here.

Symptoms and anxiety still come and go. I still have a horrible pressure in my head and horrible anxiety surrounding work and my new life. Just trying to maintain perspective I guess and push through it. I keep waiting on the day I turn the corner and can finally enjoy all of the hard work I've put in to get healthy.

Love this, I'm so glad you gave it a shot!  Work is tough during this but it rewards us with distraction, a sense of satisfaction and confidence, good for you!