Bad reaction to marijuana

[...]

I was able to get a medical marijuana card because of my fibromyalgia and was hoping it would help with sleep. Instead it revved me up and was up practically all night. I read that THC can inhibit GABA. Is this true and why do many BBs use it?

CBD with only 1% THC put me into hell for 2 weeks! Which lead to me trying an AD which I'm still suffering from 3 weeks later, fell right down the rabbit hole.

I think most people try it once they've been off a while and healed to a degree, or maybe it's one of those things. Some people can, some can't? I will definitely not be trying it again that's for sure

[fd...]

How did you take the MM?  Smoked/vaped?  Edible/tincture??  How much did you take?

Did you do cannabis in your youth??  Is cannabis an old friend or a new experience?

Did it rev up your anxiety?  or something else??

Ppl react differently to it in general. I remember in my youth, all of us were fine with it except for a friends brother. This guy would get so anxious on it!

Also keep in mind in recovery sometimes we have paradoxical reactions to meds/substances.

So sorry!

How did you take the MM?  Smoked/vaped?  Edible/tincture??  How much did you take?

Did you do cannabis in your youth??  Is cannabis an old friend or a new experience?

Did it rev up your anxiety?  or something else??

It smoked it. 3-4 tokes (9%THC). Yes I smoked it in my youth but haven't touched it for many years. It really didn't make me anxious, just couldn't sleep, racing heart. I don't know if it was a glutamate reaction or just adrenaline. I've been taking Taurine and L-Theanine and it seemed to help. I still feel hungover.

Ppl react differently to it in general. I remember in my youth, all of us were fine with it except for a friends brother. This guy would get so anxious on it!

Also keep in mind in recovery sometimes we have paradoxical reactions to meds/substances.

So sorry!

I never got anxious or paranoid in my youth like others I knew. It usually mellowed me out.

The best strain for sleep is Indica, no wonder you were up all night.  I never cared for the feeling cannabis gave me when I was younger but I find it really helps with sleep so I only use it at bedtime.  What I like about it is it changes the subject in my head.  You know how sometimes when you're trying to sleep and you get a thought stuck in your head and can't seem to get off of it or if you do, it comes back around?  The cannabis helps my mind let go. 

Another reaction I had was itchy skin,especially my face. It drove me crazy. I don't know if it was a histamine reaction or something else. It's kind of like the flush you get when you take Niacin except 10 times worst.

The best strain for sleep is Indica, no wonder you were up all night.  I never cared for the feeling cannabis gave me when I was younger but I find it really helps with sleep so I only use it at bedtime.  What I like about it is it changes the subject in my head.  You know how sometimes when you're trying to sleep and you get a thought stuck in your head and can't seem to get off of it or if you do, it comes back around?  The cannabis helps my mind let go.

Thanks Pamster I'll have to remember that although I'm a little gun shy right now. Yes I always liked the calming effect and it stopping looping thoughts

Sativa, Jwl . . . ai yi!

The last time I tried a sativa, during my taper, I had a horrible dissociative experience. I was watching Doc Martin on BBC and became insanely frightened -- I imagine I was actually in the show. OMG no. So I learned the hard way to stick to indicas. Later on I tried a 50/50 indica CBD and that as a whole lot less distressing. Lately I use an indica (no CBD) for sleep. For me, it works well.

Sorry for the bad experience. Maybe an indica edible next time? I make my own gummi bears and I like the way the effects of the mj come on slowly as I'm reading in bed. The mj actually makes me feel a little cheerful. Just a little. It does more for my anxiety than CBD and I just sort of drifft off.

Hope you have a better experience next time.

:(

Best,

Katz

[fd...]

In my experience, most of the sativa strains are also relaxing.  One group was the exception.  Terpinoline and similar terpenes dominate the profile of those strains.  It was good for working around the house, but not for sleeping.  Those strains actually have a common origin (I published a paper on this stuff a couple of years ago).

Do you know the strain? 

Sativa, Jwl . . . ai yi!

The last time I tried a sativa, during my taper, I had a horrible dissociative experience. I was watching Doc Martin on BBC and became insanely frightened -- I imagine I was actually in the show. OMG no. So I learned the hard way to stick to indicas. Later on I tried a 50/50 indica CBD and that as a whole lot less distressing. Lately I use an indica (no CBD) for sleep. For me, it works well.

Sorry for the bad experience. Maybe an indica edible next time? I make my own gummi bears and I like the way the effects of the mj come on slowly as I'm reading in bed. The mj actually makes me feel a little cheerful. Just a little. It does more for my anxiety than CBD and I just sort of drifft off.

Best,

Katz

That must have been terrible thinking you were in a TV show. I was tripping a little too but in a good way. I had Crimson and Clover (synthesized version) on a loop and listened to it over and over  :)

In my experience, most of the sativa strains are also relaxing.  One group was the exception.  Terpinoline and similar terpenes dominate the profile of those strains.  It was good for working around the house, but not for sleeping.  Those strains actually have a common origin (I published a paper on this stuff a couple of years ago).

Do you know the strain?

I don't remember the strain Badsocref. Where'd you post the paper? Got it, Indica for sleep and Sativa for working around the house although I don't think I'd get anything done :laugh:

How long did you guys have to wait after jumping before you could have a good experience from marijuana?

Last time I tried smoking, I had horrible symptoms and this was right after I quit my Klonopin cold turkey. I had depersonalization and it wasn't like normal, because normally when I smoke I get nice and calm from some good indica.

Although I have had a few occasions like that where I smoke and experience depersonalization and have extreme anxiety instead of the normal feeling. Some other people have said if you have used hallucinogens in the past then from time to time you will also have a slight trip from THC.

I had my medical card until 2017 and then moved so I haven't been able to shop for different strains recently. But I'm just curious to how long I need to be clear from my cold turkey before trying again.

Just, I think it's very much an individual thing.

Once I started using indica as opposed to sativa, I had thoroughly mellow experiences. And that was in the middle of my taper. I smoked a bit in college (but who knows what it was lol) so I was prepared to feel goofy, but the indica didn't do that. The sativa I smoked by mistake did a number on me, so I never used it again.

One of my buddies on here also smoked indica now and then -- he was still on his taper -- and it just relaxed him, so he said.

I guess, as they say on here, everyone's different.

Hope this helps,

Katz

Katz,

But did you finish your taper? Because I was smoking while I still had my Klonopin, but after the Klonopin ran out, the marijuana had a different effect. And it's only been 16 months and I haven't tried it again since.

And I agree with you on the whole Indica thing, that's always been my go-to. I'm not a big fan of sativa usually, but there are some strains that are exceptions.

I prefer to be couch locked with the munchies and be tired and get a good nap after smoking rather than be energized. But for some people it has the opposite effect and sativa makes them tired and so forth.

But it's only been 16 months and I'm thinking I will probably let myself heal before trying again. And I'm hoping the hallucinogens in my past didn't affect the THC in my future. Supposedly you can have a paradoxical effect.

Hi Just.

No, I tried the sativa in the middle of my taper. Aaaargh. Bad. But when I switched to indica (still in the middle of my taper) things were very much different. I felt mellow and relaxed and definitely had the munchies.

One of my buddies on here started smoking (indica) in the middle of his taper also, and we compared notes on strains etc. (we both liked anything ending in "Kush") and how much we were enjoying the mj. Both of us used it close to bedtime to chill.

But, everyone's different. As you say, and bads says too, some sativas make you feel mellow. I never tried one again after my goofy experience.

Best to you,

Katz

I'm glad you're finding some relief with it, for me, all the strains that have OG same to do the best with me.

I'm planning on healing completely from the benzo withdrawal before attempting again. Hopefully I can still get some medicinal value out of it like before.

My ideal morning/afternoon smoke is a sativa like Super lemon haze 20% thc. Keeps me moving forward.

I also use MCT THC oil to keep my muscles and body calm. And yes I too still get anxious on weed sometimes.

The causes are:

1. Smoking too much.

2. Bad mood and setting. Smoke when your optimistic and in your happy place.

3. Lack of hydration.

Sativa, Jwl . . . ai yi!

Best,

Katz

Hey Katz , does it manner the THC %  even if its indica? I suppose it would

I think it probably does matter. I know at my dispensary, I avoid the indica strains that are like 12 or 13% (they're cheap) and go for the 20 % + strains (more expensive). Probably someone like badsocref who knows more about this will have an opinion, but I figure that if I want the effect that the mj give me (relaxation, peace, cheerfulness and then ahhhhhh, drowsiness) more of the active ingredient is better. I'm sure the terpene profile matters too, but I'm kind of clueless about that. Because I don't smoke it, I can't taste the subtle differences in terpenes. All I taste is the lime or grape jello from which I make my Gummi Bears lol.

Hope this helps,

Katz