Need to switch to Xanax - advice requested on managing panic attacks

[ri...]

I am down to my last 1 mg of Valium and I need to switch over to Xanax because that's all I have left.  I can't find anyone to prescribe benzos other than ER and urgent care doctors and they are expensive ($100 per visit). They only prescribe several pills per visit.  I have a small stockpile of Xanax that should last until I either get the panic attacks under control again like I did last year or I can find a benzo wise doc.  I really struggle to breathe with chronic bronchitis and my herniated neck discs compressing my airway during my panic attacks - the benzos really help.  If anyone can recommend how to find a humane doctor that would be appreciated. 

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on how to manage my panic attacks?  I am taking n-acetylcysteine, l-theanine and ashwagandha.  I do essential oil aromatherapy.  I lie on a heated PEMF mat daily. I meditate, do Reiki and light exercise.  I take Benadryl to help me sleep. I'm not in hell like I was last year, but I do not want to revisit it.

Lastly, any recommendations on how much Xanax I should be taking when I make the switch - probably in a couple days.  Thank you!

I guess I'll just take a quarter of a Xanax .25 pill for starters and increase as needed if the panic attacks and breathing problems are bad. 

I read about other people's suggestions on various threads on this site about how to deal with panic attacks.  They may work for some, but throw in tight, inflamed bronchial passages, congestion and asthma into the mix and things get a lot more difficult. It sucks that there are no pulmonologists with expertise in anxiety who can prescribe for panic.  Inability to breathe and panic go hand in hand. 

I'll just wing it then.   

You mention only having 1 mg Valium left and your signature states you're currently taking 1 mg, how long have you been taking the Valium?  Is it your intention to taper off of the Xanax or are you hoping to find another Dr to prescribe to you?  I hope the .0625 of Xanax works for you, do you take the Valium as needed or daily?

I'm sorry you're dealing with panic as well as other health issues, I can see how not being able to breathe would make the panic worse. 

Hi Riley

I am unsure how to advise you on this.  It seems you have come to the bottom of your valium, and do not have any doctor to discuss a renewal prescription?  Do you / did you intend to taper off valium?  What was the goal with the valium?  You have xanax from a previous prescription?  It sounds like you are going to switch rather suddenly in hopes of avoiding panic attacks now.  My concern for you is that switching benzos back and forth like this can be very confusing to your central nervous system.  Valium is long acting long half life, xanax is fast acting short half life.  I hope your plan works for you.  Please get medical advice.  It seems as if you need a plan that is stable for benzo appropriate and careful benzo use and hopefully taper.  Benzos as a cure for panic are not a long term solution.  I never had inability to breathe from panic attacks.  Of course, breathing can feel a struggle during the attack, but breathing still happens.  It always returns.  Many people on benzos have other health conditions and manage to taper and get through.  I hope you figure this situation out.

I have to agree with what has been said. Xanax probably  won’t help breathing issues and in my case, it stopped working for panic attacks as well. I understand needing to taper if you have been taking it regularly but ultimately, it makes sense to look at other options for dealing with panic attacks.

In my case, I was having bouts of bronchitis for years and Xanax was actually making everything worse but I didn’t realize it at the time. My doctor kept suggesting I go up on the drug so I tried it and that didn’t help either.

Now that I am tapering I find that I have less panic attacks than before. The withdrawals are difficult and I’m not saying it’s easy but I do believe that in my case Xanax had gone paradoxical.

I see you do Reiki. I’m a master/teacher and it has been invaluable in my healing process. I do self Reiki daily and swaps with other practitioners once a week. I feel that it calms my cns. Have you tried things like Bach flower  essences? Rescue remedy, rock rose, cherry plum. They help me a lot.

Hi Pamster,

Sorry for the delay in response.  Thank you for the kind reply.  I was focusing on stopping the panic attacks and I had a bout of vertigo that started as well, so I rested the past few days.  I only have 1 mg Valium left, but I succeeded in not taking that.  I was taking Valium as needed when the panic attacks started up again in November, which was about 1 mg a day.  I had uncomfortable anxiety the past couple days, but lessening in severity each day.  Today I had no anxiety.  The vertigo is gone as well.  I think I am good for now.  If the panic attacks or severe vertigo start up again, then I will take the Valium, then the Xanax.  Then I will taper off the Xanax. 

If the constant head spinning vertigo starts up again, I know an ENT doctor to prescribe Valium for that which would last me a few weeks.  If the panic starts again, I will need to find a doctor.  I have seen at least a couple dozen doctors over the years and none will prescribe benzos long-term. 

I am hopeful that I stopped the panic attacks. Thank you!

Hi Healing 64,

I agree that switching benzos and going to Xanax with a shorter half life is not ideal.  I prefer Valium to minimize panic attacks and an easier taper.  However, I have not found a benzo wise doctor to advise me or prescribe.  The psychiatrists i have spoken to just wanted to push SSRI's on me, which I refuse.  In regards to breathing, it can return after the panic attack subsides - if it's not an asthma attack.  People can die from asthma attacks and it's hard to distinguish between panic and asthma sometimes.  They sometimes trigger each other.  I have been avoiding albuterol since it's a neurostimulant and sticking with steroidal medication.  I seem to be ok today, no anxiety, so that's good news.  Thanks for the well wishes. 

Hi SRR,

Sorry to hear about your own panic attacks, breathing issues and withdrawals.  I guess everybody's physiology is different.  Xanax and Valium have helped me with my breathing issues when they were severe.  I was first prescribed Xanax in 2014 when I went to the ER for the worst asthma attack.  I've been avoiding albuterol, which is a stimulant and makes me jittery - which is unfortunate, because it would help.  These days, I'm just sticking with corticosteroids, LABA and LAMA medication.  Airway constriction, congestion and inflammation has been a problem for me, when the panic is bad my breathing capacity goes down to 50%, per the spirometry readings I've had. 

The problem with Xanax is the short half life.  It always succeeded in stopping the panic attacks, but then would trigger another one after it wore off in the withdrawal cycle.  I would prefer Valium, if needed.

I am a Reiki master teacher as well - Kundalini, Karuna and Usui Reiki Ryoho.  I find it is helpful and I do it every day when I lie down on my amethyst/obsidian/black tourmaline PEMF heated mat.  But it doesn't work for everything and it's not the strongest tool in the toolkit. Chios was very helpful this time around, as was crystal therapy and shamanic healing.  The last three days, my panic went from an 8 to a 6 to a 4 to 0.  My breathing is fine now as well.   

I tried Bach flower essences, but found they didn't help much for me.  I could try Rescue Remedy again if any anxiety comes back - I think I still have some in the closet.  Thanks for the reply and I wish you good health as well.

Hi SRR,

Sorry to hear about your own panic attacks, breathing issues and withdrawals.  I guess everybody's physiology is different.  Xanax and Valium have helped me with my breathing issues when they were severe.  I was first prescribed Xanax in 2014 when I went to the ER for the worst asthma attack.  I've been avoiding albuterol, which is a stimulant and makes me jittery - which is unfortunate, because it would help.  These days, I'm just sticking with corticosteroids, LABA and LAMA medication.  Airway constriction, congestion and inflammation has been a problem for me, when the panic is bad my breathing capacity goes down to 50%, per the spirometry readings I've had. 

The problem with Xanax is the short half life.  It always succeeded in stopping the panic attacks, but then would trigger another one after it wore off in the withdrawal cycle.  I would prefer Valium, if needed.

I am a Reiki master teacher as well - Kundalini, Karuna and Usui Reiki Ryoho.  I find it is helpful and I do it every day when I lie down on my amethyst/obsidian/black tourmaline PEMF heated mat.  But it doesn't work for everything and it's not the strongest tool in the toolkit. Chios was very helpful this time around, as was crystal therapy and shamanic healing.  The last three days, my panic went from an 8 to a 6 to a 4 to 0.  My breathing is fine now as well.   

I tried Bach flower essences, but found they didn't help much for me.  I could try Rescue Remedy again if any anxiety comes back - I think I still have some in the closet.  Thanks for the reply and I wish you good health as well.

I don't have breathing issues anymore, that was a few years ago but I'm glad you mentioned Kundalini yoga, that was a huge factor in helping my breathing issues. I've never tried a pemf mat but I keep hearing about them. I might have to get one!