Tips on how to deal with fear of derealisation

[Am...]

The reason I started taking benzodiazipines in the first place was derealisation which then turned into agoraphobia.

I am agoraphobic again and trying to reduce down but sometimes I feel like I'm imagining derealisation or even looking for it. I have experienced it in small doses over the course of this year and I'm trying my best to be not bothered about it.

Does anyone have any input in this and can maybe give me some pointers in how to deal with it.

Seems to me the only way to deal with it is to stay inside but that's not true I've experienced it before inside looking at my phone.

It's this fear that keeps me locked up at home.

Also as part of my anxiety I fear that I may somehow end up with a serious mental illness like psychosis or schizophrenia or other absurd things.

I try my best to reframe these thoughts with certain CBT techniques like it's never happened before so why would it now.

I basically have a fear of fear and its ruling my life. It was ruling my life before I started the reduction.

How do I overcome this stupid fear of fear?

Please no scare stories my anxious brain takes things on board really easily so if you are going to say something please make it positive.

Anxiety and fear in withdrawal are supercharged and it's brutal.  It's been my worst symptom too but I hope it will encourage you to know that at 13 months out it's 100 times better.  Here are things that helped me.  Practicing these things regularly every day really helps build up your ability to cope with anxiety and we need this now that we don't reach for a pill:

Reading and re-reading this piece - incredibly reassuring What's happening inside your brain

Healthy eating, drinking plenty of water everyday to stay well hydrated and flush toxins

Moderate exercise - walking in nature 30 minutes every day can help give you a sense of wellbeing.

Distraction - Put all that anxious energy into distracting activities like, tidying, household projects, puzzles, drawing/painting, funny TV shows , etc. - anything that absorbs your attention so you stop focusing on your symptoms. This is probably the most effective tools of all.

Guided meditation apps like Headspace or Calm

Sticking to a routine each day, getting as much rest (not necessarily sleep) as possible

Warm bath with Epsom salts and a few drops of essential oil (lavender is calming but whatever you like) for 20 minutes

Soothing music

Funny shows/movies - laughter is good

Chamomile tea is very soothing for many of us; others think it isn't helpful - you may want to experiment and see if it works for you.

Avoid stress as much as you can.  Stress is hard on our already overburdened CNS and can rev up symptoms

Breathing techniques:  4-7-8 breathing  Inhale 4 counts; hold 7 counts; exhale 8 counts

Box Breathing:  Inhale very slowly for count of 4; hold count of 4; exhale count of 4; hold count of 4

Positive statements/Prayer - repeating I will not feel this way forever I am safe. I am healing. I am okay

Reminding myself that the fear  was coming from my healing brain and that it wasn't real.

Stay strong.  You'll get through this.  Healing is real!

i can relate to the fear of fear keeping you trapped inside the house i also have an agoraphobia  i dont have any answer for your certain situation but i want to just post to say you are not alone my friend and i hope someone can help you with some answers

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Ami,

The first step in taking this on is realizing how incredibly normal those fears and derealization is. Not enough people are vocal about it, so it makes people feel like they're some fringe case. This is untrue.

There is a book called Break Free of Intrusive Thoughts. It's free with Kindle membership or $15 on Amazon. The fact that some of the thoughts and feelings I bet you're having are being read by you, written by someone else is a beautiful relief in itself. However, the book has incredible insights and practices that can potentially help you a lot.

As for the agoraphobia, it was exposure for me. Take it at your own pace. But walk to a landmark you choose in your mind (stop sign, neighbors house, etc) and do that. Once you've conquered that, maybe go around the block. Take a friend with you who is aware of your situation. But the only answer I've found is exposure. Getting reacclimated.

Hope this helps.

Feel free to reach out if you need anything.

Best Regards,