how to beat agoraphobia ???

[ju...]

i was able to defeat the agoraphobia to some extent with the help of benzobuddies... i used to be held up in my room but with the help of buddies i was able to slowly reclaim everything except driving i can leave the house on good days  but i can not drive i get a panic attack or anxiety attack every time i try to push through its like there is an invisible bubble surrounding me  and if i push past it boom panic attack i can barley drive 2 mins away from my house i could really use some help with this one any advice would help 

Yes. Baby steps. If you can drive 2 miles from your house, do it. And high-five yourself for doing it!! Then drive 2.5 miles . . . and so on. I had to get my driving back that way. It worked.

Hope this helps,

Katz

[41...]

I didn't have issues leaving the house, but driving was definitely scary for a while.  I didn't feel in control.  35 mph was too fast.  There was too much traffic.  The lights at night blinded my sensitive vision.  I think the driving thing is more than agoraphobia.

I was usually the driver on trips, but I actually started asking my wife to drive more often.  I agree with Oregon that you can work yourself back into driving slowly to redevelop (or better understand) your level of driving skills.  Maybe drive the less-frequented back roads.  Speed limit is slower and there's less traffic.

thank you for the replies  i said 2 minutes away not 2 mile  i can probably got 0.2 miles away if we are measuring by distance i also feel trapped at red lights even if i am the only one in the line  i have tryed the whole baby steps  with driving and it only worked to a certain point  and every time i try and push past that point i have an attack  panic or anxiety  but it always seems to go away  or ramp down when i am heading back home 

• 1 month later...

Jumpman,

I see this is a post from November but I'm wondering if you've had any more success with driving? I'm facing the same problem, and I'm pretty sure it's from benzo use, as I never had this problem before. I, too, often feel better when I'm headed back home. Thinking it's because I'm headed toward my "safe place." I'm hoping it gets better once I finish my taper. Are you still on benzos?

I loved driving from the time I got my license at 16.  Loved it til I went through withdrawal, then I could barely drive or even ride with someone else.  The anxiety over driving lasted awhile, I can’t remember how long. But I began driving short distances then longer and longer. Five years ago (I’m 8 years post taper) I realized the driving fears were totally gone because I was able to comfortably drive over the mountains through adverse weather conditions without fear.  I’m fact, I was enjoying driving again no matter where I was going or for how long.

Like agoraphobia, which I also had for the only time in my life, anxiety over driving/riding is part of the anxiety syndrome and will pass with time. Take baby steps, like Katz suggested.  No need to push, it will happen in time.

Thanks, Challis99. My concern with it is because I will have to start driving my son to a new school in a few weeks and I can hardly drive at all right now. Not pushing it doesn't seem like an option at this point and I'm not sure how to handle it.

I didn't have issues leaving the house, but driving was definitely scary for a while.  I didn't feel in control.  35 mph was too fast.  There was too much traffic.  The lights at night blinded my sensitive vision.  I think the driving thing is more than agoraphobia.

I was usually the driver on trips, but I actually started asking my wife to drive more often.  I agree with Oregon that you can work yourself back into driving slowly to redevelop (or better understand) your level of driving skills.  Maybe drive the less-frequented back roads.  Speed limit is slower and there's less traffic.

My experience is very similar to this.  It’s getting up to high speeds on the interstate that freaks me out.  Too many cars passing by.  I do get on the interstate from time to time.  Sometimes it goes ok and sometimes it doesn’t.  I think it’s more than just agoraphobia as well.  The anxiety usually comes from my sheer inability to focus on visually process all the movement.  When focus seems better, I do better and have less anxiety.

I was always a fairly aggressive, but safe driver and liked hitting the open road with some tunes.  Now I just stay in the right lane at the speed limit. 

• 6 months later...

Hi Challis et all,

I know this is an older post. I’m still having trouble with driving and agoraphobia too. I’m 2 years, 7 mos out. I can go out with my husband, but not alone. I try to get out every day. How long did you have agoraphobia for post taper? I’m still not sure if my remaining agoraphobia is benzo induced or not.

In the first year I know much of it was. I was terrified to be alone at all in the beginning and that seems to have subsided for the most part. However I did go on the drugs for panic attacks in the first place..and was avoiding going out for maybe a month before going on benzos.

Any insight would be appreciated :)

I loved driving from the time I got my license at 16.  Loved it til I went through withdrawal, then I could barely drive or even ride with someone else.  The anxiety over driving lasted awhile, I can’t remember how long. But I began driving short distances then longer and longer. Five years ago (I’m 8 years post taper) I realized the driving fears were totally gone because I was able to comfortably drive over the mountains through adverse weather conditions without fear.  I’m fact, I was enjoying driving again no matter where I was going or for how long.

Like agoraphobia, which I also had for the only time in my life, anxiety over driving/riding is part of the anxiety syndrome and will pass with time. Take baby steps, like Katz suggested.  No need to push, it will happen in time.

[/