Schedule for tapering Ativan 0.25mg

[sm...]

Hi everyone!

I’m new here. Currently trying to stabilize myself on 0.25mg before I begin my tapering. I asked my pcp if she would prescribe liquid Ativan but she said absolutely not, so I’m stuck with my 0.5mg pills. Would anyone be able to assist with an accurate taper plan? I am very very sensitive and I probably need to go relatively slow. I was going to dissolve my 0.5mg tablet into 100ml of water, and then remove 1ml of water daily. Not sure if that would be okay to do. Thank you!

[2a...]

Hi Smo0thi3z!

Ativan is not soluble in water, so you'll need to first suspend the drug in a small amount of alcohol.  2-3 ml of vodka or some similar strength alcohol will work nicely.  Alternatively, you can use 2-3 ml of propylene glycol if you want to avoid the alcohol.  You'll crush the pill and mix it around with the alcohol (or PG) for a while, then add water to give 100 ml and mix well again.  Then you can remove your 1 ml per day for your taper.

Make sense?

Yes it does! So I can use any type of alcohol? Wow this whole time I’ve been doing regular water and lorazepam. I will start with the alcohol tomorrow. So I can add the alcohol to the 100ml of water? So for example, 103ml?

Sorry about that I just realized you said add it to make 100ml. So I would just taper down based on my symptoms correct? If I’m feeling withdrawals still then to take a little break? Or?

[2a...]

Dissolve the pill into the alcohol first.  I think it's good to crush it and stir it a bit in the alcohol, but it may simply dissolve on its own with very little effort.  Give it a good 5-10 minutes.  Then add the water (to give 100 ml) and mix well.  There's nothing sacred about 100 ml.  Some people add water to make 300 ml.  Just be consistent.

The pill may not look well dissolved in the alcohol.  Depends on the filler used for the pills.  The pills are 99% filler.  The drug will dissolve into the alcohol.  We think it forms a suspension when the water is added.  It seems to be stable enough for people to use.

You're correct that you'll remove a little each day and adjust that amount with your symptom intensity.  It's fine to hold for a while if symptoms become nasty.  Better to slow down your taper before symptoms get nasty.

Thank you so much. I have one more question, symptom wise As I’m starting to stabilize on my 0.25 dosage I’m finding that I need to take it around 5pm every day other wise my symptoms come at full force. They seem to be easing up a little more each day, does that mean I am stabilizing? Is it okay for me to have a little bit of symptoms? I normally only have dizziness and some anxious feelings, otherwise it’s nothing too crazy. Am I okay to just sit through those symptoms?

[2a...]

Thank you so much. I have one more question, symptom wise As I’m starting to stabilize on my 0.25 dosage I’m finding that I need to take it around 5pm every day other wise my symptoms come at full force. They seem to be easing up a little more each day, does that mean I am stabilizing? Is it okay for me to have a little bit of symptoms? I normally only have dizziness and some anxious feelings, otherwise it’s nothing too crazy. Am I okay to just sit through those symptoms?

It's fine to have some symptoms.  You want for those symptoms to be manageable for you.  Don't become house-bound or bed-bound, but a little anxiety or a little (e.g.) back pain is fine.

I'm glad your symptoms are clearing up a little each day.

Hi Smo0thi3z!

Ativan is not soluble in water, so you'll need to first suspend the drug in a small amount of alcohol.  2-3 ml of vodka or some similar strength alcohol will work nicely.  Alternatively, you can use 2-3 ml of propylene glycol if you want to avoid the alcohol.  You'll crush the pill and mix it around with the alcohol (or PG) for a while, then add water to give 100 ml and mix well again.  Then you can remove your 1 ml per day for your taper.

Make sense?

Sm00thiez, are you putting your .5mg tablet in 100ml water or .25mg tablet?

Badsocref, if she's putting her .5mg tablet in 100ml water and removing 1ml, isn't she updosing from .25ml?

I ask only because I'm trying to figure out how the heck I'm going to do my taper! So hard with these pills. I'm at .375/day split in 3 doses having to weigh each .125mg dose. Thinking I want to get the compound solution of .1mg/1mL

Hi hope for tomorrow,

I am putting my 0.5mg tablet into 100ml of water and splitting that dosage up between two days. I will be using 1ml of alcohol to dilute the pill. So 1ml of vodka and 99ml of water.