Dissolving tablets?

[...]

Hello,

I am newer to the forum and also tapering clonazepam. I currently just tapered down to .125 of clonazepam per day. I currently divide it into two doses. I have the .125 dissolving tablets. I have read about dissolving them in liquid and then using the liquid to taper. I'm going to be honest, I'm HORRIBLE at math and trying to figure out how to best dissolve and divide. Anyone have any advice or a schedule that includes using the dissolving tablets in liquid?

Have you considered asking your Dr for a script to take to a compounding pharmacy so you can get it in liquid form, this will be less complicated.

When you say dissolving tablets, do you mean that they dissolve in your mouth?

Yes, they dissolve in my mouth and they seem to dissolve pretty easy in water.

Have you considered asking your Dr for a script to take to a compounding pharmacy so you can get it in liquid form, this will be less complicated.

I did leave a message for my psychiatrist to ask about the liquid form. I'm waiting for her to get back to me.

Update on call: there is no pharmacy around our area that carries the liquid form so she suggested dissolving the tablet and reduce it gradually.

[ef...]

I would crush the pill up in a few ml of vodka (or similar alcohol) as if it was a regular tablet, then dilute it into water (and taper from there).  The pill may dissolve in your mouth, but the drug is still insoluble in water.  So you need to dissolve it in alcohol first.

By dissolving the pill in your mouth, you were absorbing at least some of the drug sublingually.  That by-passes any first-pass metabolism resulting in a higher blood level compared to if you simply swallowed the intact pill.  So 0.125 mg dissolved in your mouth may be more like 0.130-0.140 mg if swallowed intact.  Not a big difference - maybe 5-10%.

Switching to liquid will be more like swallowing an intact pill, so you may feel like you're getting less drug when you switch to liquid.  Just something to account for in case it happens.  The effect may be too small to even notice.

I did leave a message for my psychiatrist to ask about the liquid form. I'm waiting for her to get back to me.

Update on call: there is no pharmacy around our area that carries the liquid form so she suggested dissolving the tablet and reduce it gradually.

It looks like badsocref is giving you some great suggestions to titrate your dose but I wanted to clarify my suggestion.  There is no liquid version of Clonazepam but a compounding pharmacy can make it for you if your Dr writes a script and you have one near you. 

I'm a little confused on the alcohol part, as you're supposed to stay away from alcohol while on the med. I rarely ever drink, so I'm not sure if using the alcohol would be a good idea for me.

[ef...]

I'm a little confused on the alcohol part, as you're supposed to stay away from alcohol while on the med. I rarely ever drink, so I'm not sure if using the alcohol would be a good idea for me.

2 ml isn't much alcohol, but you can use propylene glycol instead of alcohol if you wish.