Klonopin withdrawal for older men

[st...]

I am 74 and I have been taking .5mg klonopin morning and evening for over 10 years.  It was prescribed by doctor

for sleep/afib  I would like to know how someone would stop this drug if they wanted too.  I suffer from anxiety but so far

have been going on with life. I have some vestibular issues also and thyroid issues. Would appreciate comments from the group here.

thanks Steve

We generally suggest a slow, careful taper - it's the best way we know of to keep withdrawal symptoms to a minimum.  You would taper by making cuts of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days or longer.  As you get down to smaller doses it can be hard to cut the pill into small enough pieces so a good option is to ask your doctor for a prescription for liquid Klonopin.  Or you can use a scale to way the doses. 

Another suggestion is that you look at The Ashton Manual.

There are several methods for accomplishing an accurate taper and depending on which one would work best for you, we can help you with the percentages required to taper slowly.  Two of the most reliable are...

1. Dry titration will involve getting a jewelers scale and crushing and weighing your dose, we have videos to illustrate.

2. You could ask your Dr to provide a script you could take to a compounding pharmacy to have a professional stability tested oral suspension.

If these don't appeal to you there are many members who use a razor blade to shave the pills into little piles they then eyeball to achieve the reduction, we can provide a percentage calculator to aid in all of these.  There is also the 'home brew' members use to make a liquid for tapering.

Let us know what looks good to you.