Urgent: Omega-3 supplements cause prostate cancer?

[ha...]

Wanted to hear about opinions & suggestions from others on Omega-3 supplements.

Recently, I started taking Omega-3 supplement (Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega, Lemon Flavor - 1280 mg) with daily dosage of 2400 ( 4 soft gels) about 15 days back .Started with 1280 mg daily.

I just happen to see my semen in pinkish color today (Blood in semen - haematospermia) . Doing quick search, I have seen this might be a cause in prostate gland infection. I am sure this is not coincidence & might have caused due to Omega-3 supplements. I even recall my physician saying way back in 2015 about fish oil supp. & prostate cancer risk.

Looked up in google and found there are so many research journal talks about fish oil linking to prostate cancer.

I am really worried and I decided to stop the fish oil supplements and see if my semen returns back to normal color. Just wondering if anyone throw some light on use of omega-3 supplements really beneficial. If yes, What's the safe dose to consume?

Also,I am thinking of consuming Omega-3 in natural way like fish or seeds.

The AHA says, “Increasing omega-3 fatty acid consumption through foods is preferable.”

source - https://sperlingprostatecenter.com/is-there-something-fishy-about-fish-oil-and-your-prostate/

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/high-intake-of-omega-3-fats-linked-to-increased-prostate-cancer-risk-201308012009

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(13)01000-8/pdf

Seriously?! I’ve been taking fish oil daily! We’re always hearing contradictory stuff about what is healthy for you and what is unhealthy :(

Hmm. I looked into this and found just the opposite claim about fish oil and prostate cancer hari4. Read the Mayo Clinic study here:

So maybe your pink semen was caused by something else?

You say:

Looked up in google and found there are so many research journal talks about fish oil linking to prostate cancer.

Could you provide a few links to studies in research journals? Many of us on here take fish oil and I'm sure are wondering. Not that we're all worried about our semen, lol, but it would be good to know about studies that tell the downsides of fish oil.

Thanks!

Katz

Hmm. I looked into this and found just the opposite claim about fish oil and prostate cancer hari4. Read the Mayo Clinic study here:

So maybe your pink semen was caused by something else?

You say:

Could you provide a few links to studies in research journals? Many of us on here take fish oil and I'm sure are wondering. Not that we're all worried about our semen, lol, but it would be good to know about studies that tell the downsides of fish oil.

Thanks!

Katz

Yes I’m not worried about semen! Lol!

I've been taking Nordic Naturals for years, on the advice of my doc. Hasn't given me anything to worry about. It seems a pretty benign supplement . . . but I'm open to reading about its downsides.

Best wishes,

Katz

Hmm.. I am 42 years old and never had this issue before. No change in Diet or whatso ever that I am aware of.

The only change is started taking supplements on 10/10. May be high does of omega-3 has caused this?  I am still looking around for link b/w omega-3 & Prostate gland inflammation.

By the way, I had my PSA test done during annual physicals two months back & it was normal.

For now, I am thinking to stop & see if this return back to normal. After that, I will start consuming omega-3 foods from natural sources.

Quick look up from source : https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/blood-in-semen/

Common causes of blood in semen include:

vesiculitis – inflammation of the glands that produce most of the fluid in ejaculate (the seminal vesicles)

seminal vesicle cysts – small, fluid-filled sacs in the seminal vesicles

prostatitis – inflammation of the prostate gland, where semen is made ----> This is the most likely cause that I see. May be high fish oil irritated prostate?

recent urological surgery – such as a prostate biopsy, cystoscopy or vasectomy

sexually transmitted infections (STIs) – such as genital herpes, chlamydia, gonorrhoea or trichomoniasis

Here is the timeline of supplements.

10/10/2020 - Started taking supplements (Omega-3,Magnesium Glycinate, Zinc).

Omega-3,Initially started with 2 gels & increased to 4 gels from 10/15/2020.

@Katz - By the way, How much dose of omega-3 are you taking?

I take nordic naturals as well - no problems. I also eat salmon, other fish, nuts, eggs....feeding my brain:) I've had no problems. Although I am female so I'm not going to experience what you're concerned about. Just think ppl used to eat far more fish than we do now and were prob far healthier for it - so I'm not worried about omega 3's...

Health anxiety is common is benzo recovery - I'm trying to discredit your concern, but try not to live on Dr. Google - it can make things worse.

For peace of mind if you need get a test done with the Dr.

Be well!!

• 4 weeks later...

I used to take Nature Made Omega 3 high potency formula. I've switched to Mega Red Krill Oil. I do eat fish/seafood at least twice a week (had a nice piece of Alaskan Sockeye Salmon for dinner Sunday).  I find the Krill Oil capsules easier to swallow, and they have vanilla flavoring so no nastly fish taste or burp. My total cholesteral has been borderline, but my Endocrinologist is not at all worried because my HDL is so high. I have labwork Thursday so we'll see if the Krill Oil makes a dfference.

Can't comment on the cancer connection but too much of any supplement can be detrimental rather than helpful. There are studies showing that those who take multivitamins daily to compensate for poor diet have a higher mortality rate than those who get the bulk of their nutrition from diet. As it is, I do take a multivitamin, but I halve it, as I don't need 100% RDA from a pill. But to maintain my current healthy weight, after a large weight loss, I eat fairly small portions, so it's hard to get all the nutrients I need.

Of course eating a healthy diet rich in whole grains, legumes, nuts, fruits and vegetable, modest portions of fish, seafood, dairy and red meat rarely, is the best way to go. 

You could try a lower dose of the Nordic Naturals and see what happens. It could have been something else in the supplements causing your issue. Or try a different fish oil like Krill. If you can get it through diet, that's the best way to go.

Something you need to know is that the majority of scientific research in the area of nutrition is funded by big food companies. They have "scientists" on retainer, there to cook up whatever conclusion fits. The linked article indicates only a correlation between high blood levels of omega 3 and prostate cancer. I don't care to look into it further because I've read enough of these things to know that it's complete horse shit. What I would be looking at next is who they tested this on and what were their methods? Obviously they didn't test this in the whole population.

Everybody knows that correlation does not equal causation. One counter-explanation for the finding is that people who take an omega 3 supplement regularly are perhaps more likely to take other supplements and even though they all say "no substitute for a healthy balanced diet" people do in fact use them for that purpose. So maybe this correlation exists because people who take supplements in replacement of a healthy, balanced diet are more susceptible to illness than people who eat well. This is just speculation, because that's all you can do with correlation.

This is good reading for anybody who wants to know where I am coming from:

Before you read another health study, check who's funding the research

diaz-e-BAM, well thought out an accurate reply. Couldn't help but comment about this:

I don't care to look into it further because I've read enough of these things to know that it's complete horse shit.

If the supplement and and alternative medicine industries could find a way to market horse shit to a bunch of consumers (It'll make you feel like a young mustang again! We purify and process it and only use the beneficial parts in our miracle pills!), they'd do it. Supplements are largely unregulated, and there are profits to be made. I stick to stuff that has been proven by competent researchers to offer benefits, like the Krill Oil and Turmeric I take. And I eat real healthy, nutritious foods.

I think you missed a trick. You need to emphasise that the horse shit is organic. That'll sell it!  :D

Yeah, that's me too. I do have some specific supplements for specific purposes but I don't take any of them regularly. Mostly they're for when I'm fasting. I put a lot of turmeric in my food. Garlic and ginger, too. I make a daal quite regularly, because it's so nutritious and really seems to agree with me.

Indeed, there are publications that long-term fish oil consumption increases the risk of prostate cancer. It's hard to know how true this is. This disease occurs in old age and if you are young or middle-aged, then you are not in danger. Cases of prostate cancer at age 42 are casuistic and extremely rare. There is a test for prostate-specific antigen, which is a tumor marker for this disease. In my country, you can take it without problems. In prostate cancer, it reaches 10 ng / ml or more. But elevated levels are not always cancer. Observe the measure in everything, including with additives. Health!