brain MRI's that show damage from anxiety

[Ma...]

I'm confused why I read all these science articles about how brain MRI's show damage in people who suffer chronic panic attacks or severe depression. And then whenever you read the accounts of people who have these conditions, or talk to these people who've gotten brain MRI's, their results are always normal? What am I missing? Are they getting the wrong type of MRI?

[56...]

I suspect this has to do with the type of damage that has occurred and the type of study being performed.  I doubt if most people who go to the ER due to anxiety or depression get an MRI or the type of cranial scan that might show a heightened state of anxiety (or whoever).  The ER folks take your vitals, determine that they're unremarkable and usually send you home.

Even if they did the additional tests and observed that some part of your brain was unusually active while you claimed to be feeling anxious, then what?  About all they can do is to give you something to calm you (probably a benzo).

MaxTime, I don't know about the research on this - could you share some citations?

Here's one titled MRI Uncovers Brain Abnormalities in People with Depression and Anxiety

https://press.rsna.org/timssnet/media/pressreleases/14_pr_target.cfm?ID=1972

Here's one titled MRI reveals brain changes caused by depression, anxiety

https://www.auntminnie.com/index.aspx?sec=rca&sub=rsna_2017&pag=dis&ItemID=119053

A quick Google search turns up lots of these.

I'm kind of skeptical of this study. First it wasn't a very big study group. Second, who's to say that people with depression weren't born with these abnormalities? That said I know that glutamate storms can destroy brain cells.

I'm kind of skeptical of this study. First it wasn't a very big study group. Second, who's to say that people with depression weren't born with these abnormalities? That said I know that glutamate storms can destroy brain cells.

No I hear you. I think my question is more what type of MRI is this that's even showing this? And why do people with anxiety and depression who get MRI's often say theirs were normal? What type of MRI did they get?