Can I take the odd zopiclone?

[le...]

Was made ct zopiclone 21 months ago, then stopped Anti depressants quite quickly after 6 months as side effects awful. Had bad mental symptoms throughout, the last week now developed intermittent insomnia. Is it normal to get new symptoms after 4 months off AD? Really can't cope with it on top all other stuff, wondering if taking the odd zop very low dose would hurt as really can't take much more.

leann, I wouldn't. But maybe that's just me.

I threw my Ambien away after I tapered it. I just didn't want to be tempted. IMO taking one now and then would just be the the slippery slope for me. I don't have iron will power.  :-[

There are plenty of other insomnia "fixes" you could explore. Zop isn't the only game in town. I had to search quite awhile, and try many different things, but I finally found a few things that work.

I feel for you. Not sleeping is a bear.

Hope you find a non-zop fix for your insomnia.

:(

Katz

This is so hard it can be tempting to reach for a pill again.  If I were you I'd resist.  It's a slippery slope for one thing.  For another, it can complicate your withdrawal by sending confusing signals to your brain which scrambles to adjust, resulting in more difficult symptoms. 

This is a good time to put every coping technique you have into practice.  Everyday if you can so it becomes second nature and easier to access when you need these techniques.  The #1 way to cope is often distraction - find a way to distract yourself from your symptoms by focusing on some activity - a long walk, tidying, doing laundry, cooking, arts and crafts, a jigsaw puzzle - whatever interests you and can hold your attention.

I hope your symptoms ease up soon!

[56...]
Yes, antidepressants and antipsychotics are known for their late (tardive) symptoms. I would avoid intermittent use because of the kindling effect. If you were somehow to get a hold of diazepam and reinstate on 1 mg / day or 2 mg / day, that would be far better, I think, when taking the kindling effect into account (not just for insomnia, but for treating antidepressant withdrawal as well).

I just wrote about this on another thread. Many people who take benzos assume that "if I dont feel well, i should take another pill." And most of us here on BB know all too well where that can lead you.

I personally would NEVER want to go through what I did go through, going cold turkey off Klonapin and Ambien. Several years of utter helll convinced me to NEVER take a benzo again.

Now, having said that, I will be very honest. During the eight years after going off benzos, I decided on several occasions to take one: pre op teeth being removed and pre op for surgery. And that did not hurt me at all. I had NO cravings, but I never did with my thirty year habit of nightly benzos. But I do know I would NEVER just blindly take benzos without a true reason. They ARE that dangerous.

east