Teas please!

[cl...]

Well darn.  I just did a search and found out we should not drink teas with chamomile or valerian or passionflower, etc.  Basically ruling out bedtime teas.  Are there any herbal teas that won't bring me to grief? 

thanks,

Clearbluesky

There are a lot of different opinions about these teas.  I wouldn't be so quick to give up on them. 

I personally found chamomile very helpful during withdrawal and recommend it. 

Thanks, BrighterDay.  I sometimes wish there could be BB surveys to find out majority opinions, since opinions so often seem contradictory!

• 2 weeks later...
Everyone has different sensitivities to different things. The way to check is to stop using the teas for a week then try one at a time, at least a few days in between, and see if it’s an issue for you. If not, go for it! No one can predict what anyone will react to we are all unique.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this thread!  I want to hear people's suggestions! Personally I used chamomile for last 10 years and all through tapering and early withdrawal.  Was so soothing! But just last couple weeks I noticed that I would get a flare in symptoms a few hours after drinking it :-(  So now I'm staying away bc I do not want to jeopardize my healing. 

I am doing decaf black tea in the afternoons.  I do ginger tea with lemon (made with fresh ginger) in the evenings.  Supposed to be a good anti-inflammatory and anti-histamine.

Some people think the way chamomile works is similar to a benzo, and that is why they say you shouldn't take it rather than just saying that it didn't do them any good. I couldn't find any evidence for that claim when I looked into it, although I can kinda see how someone could come to that conclusion. They just see "GABA" in relation to a substance and it puts them off. The same is said for magnesium. If it's working for you, I would not worry at all.

We tend to be highly strung when we're in withdrawal so you get people being forceful with their opinions. I've been there. It comes from a good place - people just want to prevent others from suffering - but it can make people confused and sometimes more fearful than they need to be.

I drank loads of different teas during withdrawal. It's good to stay hydrated, warm liquid is more soothing and I think it's just an all round healthy thing to do. Anything with turmeric or ginger in is good for the benzo belly, I find.

What I really really miss is COFFEE!  But now even decaf seems to flare my symptoms.  So I'm hoping to find an herbal tea with little to no medicinal value.  I don't want to wonder or worry how it might be affecting me.  Just something harmless that tastes good! 

Some people think the way chamomile works is similar to a benzo, and that is why they say you shouldn't take it rather than just saying that it didn't do them any good. I couldn't find any evidence for that claim when I looked into it, although I can kinda see how someone could come to that conclusion. They just see "GABA" in relation to a substance and it puts them off. The same is said for magnesium. If it's working for you, I would not worry at all.

We tend to be highly strung when we're in withdrawal so you get people being forceful with their opinions. I've been there. It comes from a good place - people just want to prevent others from suffering - but it can make people confused and sometimes more fearful than they need to be.

I drank loads of different teas during withdrawal. It's good to stay hydrated, warm liquid is more soothing and I think it's just an all round healthy thing to do. Anything with turmeric or ginger in is good for the benzo belly, I find.

Says here not to, but who knows? It makes me feel weird personally

https://www.hiredpower.com/blog/straight-facts-benzo-withdrawal/

Says here not to, but who knows? It makes me feel weird personally

https://www.hiredpower.com/blog/straight-facts-benzo-withdrawal/

That looks like opinion rather than fact. I would not be surprised if a reading of these forums led to the suggestions in that blog.

I err on the side of not taking supplements if I can help it but I'll take magnesium maybe a couple of times a month and sometimes some other vitamins and minerals when I fast. So I kind of have some sympathy for the argument to stay away and not take anything regularly, certainly not while you're healing. I don't want to heal in a way that my body thinks it's getting a magnesium supplement every day.

Rooibos tea is fantastic because it has no caffeine. Chamomile revved me up so bad I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. I had a terrible panic attack once after drinking it while in withdrawal.

Hi,

Lately I 've been mixing Rooibos tea with a little black tea. Great tast, no issues!

At night it's just Rooibos again, just to be on the safe side.

Enjoy your tea!

Hi,

The easiest way to find out, would be to try it, of course.

It has more or less the same taste as normal  black tea without the bad stuff.

It has a lovely red -ish colour ( rooi bos is an Afrikaans word,  meaning red shrub) and you can make it as light or as dark as you like. It contains lots of antioxidants .

I buy mine in a pack, not in teabags.

Try it and you'll love it, I'm sure!

Trochsetter.

Thank you!  The reason I ask is I've spent so much already on teas that I either didn't like, or they didn't agree with me or I was too worried about adverse reactions to even try!  I keep giving them away to a friend. 

I'm fortunate as I seem to be able to tolerate a small amount of decaf coffee in the morning lately.  I used to drink coffee all day and have missed it so much!  Still I must admit, tea is more sensory.  Tea is poetry, coffee is prose.

Just had a peppermint tea, think it's about the only tea that doesn't make me feel weird. Surprised it was actually quite relaxing