Should I be on Metroprolol for blood pressure which is out of control?

[Sp...]

I had a Hysterectomy cancelled because of high blood pressure 217/94, my doctor (primary care doc) is trying to get it down with a combination of Cardura and Metroprolol and Hctz, Is Metroprolol a problem with Benzo withdrawal and the Gabas?  I have Uterine Cancer so it is imperative that they do the surgery.  The anesthesiologists are not happy to have no Benzos to work with, neither are my doctors.  PS. I am 78 years old.

From what I see on the forum many members take metoprolol.  If I were you I wouldn't hesitate to take it if it was needed to control high blood pressure, particularly since you need to get your blood pressure down so you can proceed with your surgery.

As far as benzos for your surgery, again, personally I would be okay with it as a one time situation. Here's what BenzoBuddies says about this question on the BenzoBuddies Frequently Asked Questions page:

I have to have a medical procedure during which my doctor says I will be sedated. Does this mean I have to go through withdrawal again?

You should not worry that a single dose of a benzodiazepine will cause the reemergence of withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal is the result of changes in brain receptors which happen over time and with regular use. These changes in receptors will not occur with only a single dose of a benzodiazepine.

Take care

http://www.benzobuddies.org/benzodiazepine-information/frequently-asked-questions/#medical-procedure

[45...]
Professor Ashton is wrong on that one. As I and many other people can personally attest, one off dose of benzos can still throw someone into acute withdrawal. It might also not, but it's a gamble.

Thank you Brighterday and Pacenik for your comments, so very helpful.  Pacenik, I actually was given a Benzo prior to my D & C surgery and did have withdrawal symptoms afterwards.  As for the Metroprolol, I will give it a shot.

Thank you Brighterday and Pacenik for your comments, so very helpful.  Pacenik, I actually was given a Benzo prior to my D & C surgery and did have withdrawal symptoms afterwards.  As for the Metroprolol, I will give it a shot.

I'm glad about the Metoprolol Spazzie.  :thumbsup:

I hope all goes well.