New Buddie

[Pe...]

I am joining the group today after realizing I was in dire need of a change. I am going off ambien or most recently Doral and Ativan (along with plenty other meds to help through day and night)after 17 years needed for insomnia, anxiety, depression and PTSD. I had a major life change that threw me over the edge and along with help from my doctor tried to switch to serequel pretty quickly. I thought I was having a nervous breakdown from my husband quitting his job after a life of ongoing chaos. I found out today my tapering down too quickly made me completely crazy. I was a perfect storm. I went for a ketamine treatment for my PTSD today and my doc realized what had happened. I have been scared for weeks. Tense muscles, unclear thoughts, shaking, uncontrollable crying. I’m glad I saw my doc today. I might actually have hope to get myself back to a life of some sort of normalcy. I’m so ashamed of what I’ve become after so many years of treatment to make me feel better and to be the person I was meant to be. Wish me luck.

Hello peaceandresilience and Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

We're so glad you've joined us!  You've come to the right place for information and support that will help you get through this.  This is a community of members who understand what you're going through, the path that led you to where you are now, and the way forward.  This forum can make all the difference - it's a lifeline for many of us. 

We suggest tapering with cuts of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days or longer.  A slow careful taper is the best way we know of to keep withdrawal symptoms to a minimum so you're able to function as well as possible during withdrawal.  Many members taper even more slowly, letting the taper be guided by symptoms, making even smaller cuts and holding at a dose until symptoms become more manageable before making the next cut.

Please explore the site and feel free to post with your questions.  Here are some links to help you get started:

We recommend members look at The Ashton Manual - a resource on benzo withdrawal.

To see tapering models we support:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

To connect with others for support:

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

I love the username you chose - it suggests the inner strength you will summon as you go through this process.  This can be a very lonely, challenging experience and many of us understand the shame you describe.  As we heal there are issues we process.  But we are all moving forward toward healing and recovery.  For an infusion of hope and encouragement please be sure to read Success Stories .

It’s helpful to create a signature so other members who want to reply to your posts can see where you are in the process. Here’s how to add your benzo info automatically to your posts: go to Profile, then Forum Profile, write your info (which benzo, dose, taper history) in the text box and save. Thanks! Let us know if you need help with this.

We're glad you're here!

Brighterday  :)

Thank you for the advice. My weening was basically done from a heavy dose of benzos to serequel all at once. I can’t believe how wrong my doctor was. I can’t believe I didn’t research it. I love my psychologist! I’m scared to tell her what I have learned. I feel like I was almost going behind her back. She treats my whole family. I know she is always doing things in our best interest. She knows what we have all been through  :-[

I understand feeling disloyal to your psychologist but this benzo withdrawal can be a harrowing experience and we need all the support and information we can get.  It sounds like she's pretty wonderful and I'm guessing she won't be threatened that you went online to learn more.

Unfortunately much of the medical and psychotherapy world has some catching up to do in their knowledge of benzo withdrawal.  Many of us have found it helpful to share what we learn on this forum with our providers. For instance, sharing  The Ashton Manual may be helpful. 

Are you taking Ambien currently?  Are you planning to taper off of it?  Here are a couple more links:

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support 

As you know, Ambien is what's known as a Z-drug while technically a non-benzo the same guidelines for tapering apply

Z-drug Withdrawal Support Group 

I'm so sorry that you're going through this, peace. You've come to the right place and with the right plan you can regain your life back. We're here to support you through the journey. You got this! Welcome! As admonished please join our Z drug group at the above link. We'd love to have you.  :thumbsup: