Ativan tapering

[ra...]

I have been taking ativan for the past 5 years usually twice a day at 1mg/dose.  I have just started the tapering process and the dizziness and muscle weakness is so intense.  I am now taking .5 mg twice a day.  This is all new to me.  This drug saved me when my anxiety was out of control but I feel I am ready to get rid of it.  Please tell me I am not alone in these symptoms.

For my clarification, you were taking 2 mgs a day and now you're taking 1 mg a day?  Was this your first reduction, a 50% drop in dose isn't advised, how are you feeling?

I apologize I meant I was taking .5 MG twice a,day and now reduced to .25.  Other than the awful dizziness and muscle weakness I feel ok

It looks like you've still done a 50% reduction, I feel it would be wise for you to hold at this dose until you can hopefully stabilize a bit.  When you begin to feel a little better, I would suggest a much smaller cut in order to remain functional.  Symptoms have a way of building up when we make large reductions or move too quickly so I'd hate to see you get slammed with worse.

I wanted to let you know that you're not alone in your symptoms, they're miserable but very common.

Do you have enough pills to slow your taper down?

Can we help you figure out your next reduction percentage, we have so many creative ways to offer for making this easier than trying to split those tiny pills, let us know if you'd like some help.

• 3 weeks later...

Can we help you figure out your next reduction percentage, we have so many creative ways to offer for making this easier than trying to split those tiny pills, let us know if you'd like some help.

I am not ready to taper yet (trying to stabilize from AD withdrawal).

I am currently on .125mg 3 times a day weighing to make sure accurate doses. At one point, I tried one dose of the .125mg in my own water liquid and had diarrhea and horrible symptoms. Not sure if this was amplified by my withdrawal/medication anxiety but I’m wondering if people have had success dry tapering Ativan with minimal symptoms and how they did it with tiny pills?

I am not ready to taper yet (trying to stabilize from AD withdrawal).

I am currently on .125mg 3 times a day weighing to make sure accurate doses. At one point, I tried one dose of the .125mg in my own water liquid and had diarrhea and horrible symptoms. Not sure if this was amplified by my withdrawal/medication anxiety but I’m wondering if people have had success dry tapering Ativan with minimal symptoms and how they did it with tiny pills?

Do you crush and weigh your pills or just weigh the crumbs you take?  If you'll start a thread on this same board we can walk you through the process so you'll be mentally prepared when it's time for you to begin your taper.