Introduction - Hi

[Ap...]

Hi everybody. I've been prescribed bzs for 13 years, every kind, often simultaneously. They've all caused withdrawals when going off, and then they would call it "mental illness" and give me more bzs or different bzs and psych med cocktails. It started out with taking antidepressants, and gradually they increased the drugs from there, over 20 years ago. I was so drugged up with bzs, antidepressants and anti convulsants that I didn't even understand what I was taking. I believed them when they said it was mental illness. Finally, I started heavy research on the internet, realized about 3 1/2 years ago I was hooked. I was taking 4-6 mgs of Clonazepam daily - that's the equivalent of about 120 mgs of valium daily. Holy wow - plus a handful of other drugs that did no good whatsoever. I've been off of everything except trazodone and Clonazepam for 3 years. I feel better, but the bz withdrawals are just killing me. The trazodone may be part of the problem too as I've been on that for probably 5 years or more. I've gone from 6mgs Clonazepam down to 81mcgs. It's been a literal hell physically, mentally, financially, and I did it with little to no support, medically or otherwise. Getting off these bzs has cost me my job, my career, my life, and my brain. I have brain damage now. I'm destitute. But I've made it this far, and I'm getting off these tortuous, sinister, evil pills. I need to connect with other souls like me who are fighting the good fight and with folks who have successfully made it. It will be nice meeting you. :)

Hello Apollomy :hug: Welcome to Benzobuddies!

We are glad you joined,  its nice meeting you too.  I am very sorry for what you have gone through.  It’s a sad fact that many of us arrive here having lost careers, some have lost homes, relationships, all down to these drugs.  You will get through it and you will get better.  You will receive plenty of support to help with the rest of your journey to be benzo free.  You have done a great job so far, well done to you.  How long have you been tapering?  You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum, feel free to browse the boards and post questions.

Reducing your daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days is the rule of thumb but some of us need to go more slowly, whatever feels comfortable. The goal is to try to keep symptoms manageable.

The Ashton Manual, is a great resource for understanding the effect benzo’s have on our body.  It provides withdrawal information and includes a list of common symptoms 

I'll leave you a few links:

The Ashton Manual

Planning Your Withdrawal(TaperPlans)

If you would like to add a signature listing your meds,doses ets.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita