Thought Covid would be "squashed" by now in our world - ugh

[Mi...]

Hi Everyone,

Blessings to all to continue along to recovery.

It's mid October 2020. Back in April or May I remember my husband and I thinking that Covid would be under way better control by November. Not sure why we thought this.

I wish it would go away. For the good of everybody, and for those of us going through withdrawal or any other underlying health issue. No one needs the extra worry of a pandemic.

Yes, I feel the same. I chose 2020 as the year to taper because I thought it was going to be a nice quiet year. I told my therapist this and she had a very good laugh.

The pandemic sure adds a whole layer of challenges to this already difficult process.  So many plans put on hold, too. 

Even people with no history of anxiety, depression etc. are suffering.I imagine therapists have full caseloads right now.

Stay strong!  We'll get through this together!

It really feels like the pandemic is dragging on, but the reality is that it will probably get better slowly, when it does start to get better.  I recently read an article about vaccines, saying that even once there are vaccines available, they may not work for very long, and many people will wait and see if there are any strange side effects before they get the vaccine anyways.  And that process could take another year, so if the first vaccines are available between now and this spring, that could mean another year of waiting to see which vaccines work and have minimal side effects, and also how long they work for. 

I read a bunch of articles about the Spanish flu from 1918, and it looks like it just mutated into a lesser deadly and awful strain, and then most people caught that new strain.  My own personal theory is that something similar will happen with covid 19.  That it will just mutate into something less harmful for humans and in a few years, this will be behind us.  Of course, I am not an epidemiologist, but I find that theory comforting and it seems to have happened with other pandemics, even when vaccines were not found. 

It is not going away.

Apart from the deaths 10% of ppl who have it even mildly are not recovering.

Antibodies appear to not last very long.

Given that it is not possible to reach herd immunity without massive death and disability figures and a vaccine is unlikely to help much as it appears to not be seasonal like the flu.

It is waging a war of attrition.

If it continuities how will anything ever go back to ‘normal’?

I can see it going on and on and destroying the world economy and large swathes of the human race.

A virologist told me it won’t be going away. Over time (years) it will become a less illness as the virus learns it does not need to make ppl so ill in order to survive.

The whole situation has been grossly exacerbated by the media. It has a 99.5% survival rate. Driving in a car is more dangerous.

The problem now is that if you get into a wreck while driving your car and need intensive care, you won't be able to get it because the hospital ICU beds are full.  Sure, in my state they're opening a sports complex to put patients in but they don't have the staff to fully care for those patients.  The medical profession is dealing with workers getting sick and dying, workers needing to teach their children at home and workers quitting because of the extreme emotional exhaustion of being on the front lines of this for months while the deniers say "you're impinging on my freedom by telling me to wear a mask".

The hospitals in my state are now asking the governor for permission to ration care for Covid patients, meaning they'll be making life and death decisions on how to treat patients based on their survival rate and age, can you imagine how hard it would be to be the one who has to decide who lives and who dies under your care, to make that cold hard decision that your life isn't worth saving?  These people will carry a heavy emotional burden for the rest of their lives.

So yeah, say what you will about the media but the reality of this situation is dire and those who take it lightly are putting our front line workers, their families and those they care for in danger.

It is not going away.

Apart from the deaths 10% of ppl who have it even mildly are not recovering.

Antibodies appear to not last very long.

Given that it is not possible to reach herd immunity without massive death and disability figures and a vaccine is unlikely to help much as it appears to not be seasonal like the flu.

It is waging a war of attrition.

If it continuities how will anything ever go back to ‘normal’?

I can see it going on and on and destroying the world economy and large swathes of the human race.

I know 2 people who have recovered 100%. They are not "long haulers" . Otherwise I don't know anyone who has had it.

I even asked here on BB of anyone who has had it, so have other members have posted the same question. The replies of those afflicted were zero to a few. Even here on the giant forum of Benzo Buddies, not many have had Covid.

Even the Spanish flu mostly died down to almost non existent. The Spanish flu started in Spring and started to go away the summer of the following year. This happened in conditions dirtier than how many people in the U.S. live today.