From Arizona...

[ca...]

I'm a 27yr benzo user by prescription, I want help to get off from others that have gone through the same. I've been on most benzos over the course of my treatment for anxiety and just about every anti-depressant out there. Xanax was the one I stayed on for years. I gradually went up in dose from .25 to 8mg XR prescribed and when I hit tolerance it went further un-prescribed. I went to 3 rehab units and eventually ended up leaving on 60mg of valium to which I have tapered down to 15mg per day as of today.

Hello casestudy, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

You've done a great job of reducing your dose to 15 mgs, can you tell us how you've accomplished this?  We typically suggest reducing by about 5-10% every week or two depending on your symptoms.  You can find our taper methods here:  Planning your taper (Taper Plans)

If you'd like to connect with others feeling as you are, please feel free to start a thread on the Withdrawal Support (during your taper) board so you can find the support you need to finish your taper and recover.

We're glad you found us, please let us know how we can help you.

Pamster

When I was in a rehab unit for the 3rd time, I teamed up with one of the psychiatrist in there to take me on as outpatient. To get off the Xanax, I was given phenobarbital in-patient then sent home with 60mg of valium. I began tapering in 4/3/20 with the psychiatrist help. He prescribed, Hydroxyzine, Clonidine, and Seroquel PRN for the withdrawals and that has allowed me to come down faster than normal. I don't use much Seroquel, but Clonidine and Hydroxyzine are a must for me and I wouldn't be where I am without them, However, I am not leveling out anywhere I spent 6 weeks on 20mg. Then when I cut to 15mg symptoms increased dramatically.

I'm glad to hear you had help with your taper, it sounds like your reduction from 20 to 15 mgs was too much, would you consider slowing your taper down?  Many members say they need to do this as symptoms near the end increase.

• 2 weeks later...