Hello, I'm happy to be a part of this group!

[Jo...]

Hello, I'm happy to be a part of this group! I'm looking forward to getting valuable information from the group, and also perhaps I could give some information about my experiences and help others. I've been taking diazepam for most of my adult life (I'm 60 years old now). I have never abused them and they have always been prescribed by a doctor. Why I was not encouraged to get off these things by doctors, over the years, is a mystery to me. I've been doing my own taper but have been trying to stick to Dr. Ashton's book as much as possible. I am so scared as I've tried before, two times, and have failed. I'm assuring my wife that THIS TIME I will NOT fail. There is no need to be bridled by these devil pills any longer, at my age; it's crazy! Well, that's about it for my introduction. Thank you! John Miller

Hello John Miller and welcome to BenzoBuddies!

We're glad you joined us!  You've come to the right place for good information and support to help you reach your goal of quitting diazepam for good.  This forum is a lifeline for many of us and can make all the difference in successfully recovering.

We typically suggest tapering with cuts of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days or longer depending on symptoms.  A slow, careful taper is this best way we know of to keep withdrawal symptoms to a minimum so you're able to function as well as possible during your withdrawal.  Some members taper more slowly, making even smaller cuts, then holding at that dose until symptoms become more manageable. 

Now that you're a member, please explore the site and feel free to post.  I suggest you start with the following links:

The Ashton Manual - a resource on benzo withdrawal that provides an excellent overview, a taper model and a detailed discussion of many common withdrawal symptoms.

To see other tapering models we support:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

To reach out to others for support as you taper:

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

It’s helpful to create a signature so other members who want to reply to your posts can see where you are in the process. Here’s how to add your benzo info automatically to your posts: go to Profile, then Forum Profile, write your info (which benzo, dose, taper history) in the text box and save. Thanks! Let us know if you need help with this.

Welcome!

Brighterday  :)

• 2 weeks later...