Vodka to dissolve pills - anyone?

[ja...]

I am just getting set up to titrate.  I like the 1% idea.  Every week to 10 days, if that works.  And using the multiples of 10.  I don't have it all figured out yet by any means.  The math seems overwhelming. 

I won't use the glycol. And milk won't work either.  I wish I had an experienced benzo doctor.  Or pharmacist.   

For 15 years I've taken 15mg of Oxazepam nightly.  For sleep.  So does it make sense to keep to the single night dose?  It means withdrawal symptoms the next day, if I'm to have them.  Dizziness and nausea and depression and dissociation are the bad ones.  But that night dose ensures sleep.  At least right now.  To me, that is more important than daytime symptoms.

Does anyone have experience dissolving pills in alcohol?  And can I just use the syringes for measuring or do I need a scale? 

I am just getting set up to titrate.  I like the 1% idea.  Every week to 10 days, if that works.  And using the multiples of 10.  I don't have it all figured out yet by any means.  The math seems overwhelming. 

I won't use the glycol. And milk won't work either.  I wish I had an experienced benzo doctor.  Or pharmacist.   

For 15 years I've taken 15mg of Oxazepam nightly.  For sleep.  So does it make sense to keep to the single night dose?  It means withdrawal symptoms the next day, if I'm to have them.  Dizziness and nausea and depression and dissociation are the bad ones.  But that night dose ensures sleep.  At least right now.  To me, that is more important than daytime symptoms.

Does anyone have experience dissolving pills in alcohol?  And can I just use the syringes for measuring or do I need a scale?

I've been dissolving my klonopin tablets in 2 mL of vodka for 5+ years now doing a liquid taper. Mine are 1mg tablets, so I dissolve in 2 mL vodka, add 98 mL water, then use syringe to take out doses as needed. Other people do a dry taper using a scale, but I'm clueless on how to do that. The process is pretty easy for what I do with liquid. It's a personal decision, but I would continue with a single dose at night like you've done for years. The body likes consistency. You'll figure out what works for your own situation, but just stick to it, whatever it is/becomes. Consistency is huge in the overall process. My best to you!

I am benzo free for over a year now and read a lot here before going with DLMT. I did use vodka. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

There's no reason to use a scale if you're dissolving the benzo. You just need to use a syringe.

[7f...]
Oxazepam looks to be somewhat less soluble in alcohol than klonopin.  Also, the dose is higher.  It might be good to use a little more vodka (e.g. 5 ml) to help dissolve the drug.  Be patient.  Give it time to dissolve.

I've also just started to set up a liquid titration. I just watched a youtube video from benzo brains which gave me a very quick overview on how to  go about it. for 2 days i have just been using water, but i find the klonopin to be very chalky and i'm not achieving a very good suspension, so i'm off to buy an early morning bottle of vodka to see how it goes with a couple of mls of vodka and water mix. I'm on .5mg of clonazepam/klonopin, dissolved in 300mls of liquid, titrating down 1 ml at a time, and i don't know how often i should be titrating at this point. very experimental, but keen to avoid jumps because i become completely incapacitated by withdrawal effects. there's alot on this board! phew! anyway, i'm gonna stick with this method and see how it goes. I really don't want to go the substitution route. i am overdrugged by a lifetime, never ever want to take another benzo, anti-depressant - nothing! i'm so done! trying to complete a pHd, so have to keep as clear a head as possible. cheers! Sc

Does anyone have experience dissolving pills in alcohol?

Yes. I did this throughout my taper. I took most of my dose in pills and dissolved 1 mg of valium in 1ml of vodka, added 99 ml of water and tapered small amounts from the liquid I'd made. When I got down to 3 mgs of valium, I made a 300 ml vodka/valium/water mixture and drank my dose daily in steadily decreasing amounts.

It worked fine.

I used very small 1 ml syringes to measure out the dose I discarded. You can buy them at Amazon. Indeed, you can buy just about any size syringes you need there. Or you could ask your pharmacist. Or your vet.

Hope this helps,

Katz

Thanks Katz, I bought all my gear yesterday from the chemist around the corner. I like schedules and order, so doing this every morning is also part of a calming regime, i feel in comtrol of the process, which is very important to me. Creating a spreadsheet to log my progress i also enjoy. Small self-soothing acts helps, I find! I just read a few more faqs and resources on the boeard and am getting a feel for how to approach this, also what is supported in terms of empirical evidence and so on. This feels like it might work... keeping an open mind :)

I've been dissolving my klonopin tablets in 2 mL of vodka for 5+ years now doing a liquid taper. Mine are 1mg tablets, so I dissolve in 2 mL vodka, add 98 mL water, then use syringe to take out doses as needed. Other people do a dry taper using a scale, but I'm clueless on how to do that. The process is pretty easy for what I do with liquid. It's a personal decision, but I would continue with a single dose at night like you've done for years. The body likes consistency. You'll figure out what works for your own situation, but just stick to it, whatever it is/becomes. Consistency is huge in the overall process. My best to you!

Just a small query on “consistency”...  (sorry)

Given the short half life of Oxazepam, Im wondering if more even levels through the day/night might be the better “consistency”, as opposed to maintaining a consistent specific therapeutic dosing regime..??

While the latter probably suits best now in a therapeutic way, I can see the potential for problems down the track as one transitions from therapeutic value (treating) into a withdrawal profile (the physical dependancy being uncovered perhaps).. -Sorry, not quite sure how to put it atm..

Perhaps part of the taper plan might be to work towards a more consistent level of benzo in the system over time, which will likely give some initial symptoms in itself.. -But perhaps make it smoother in the end stages..

Thoughts..??